RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: California scrapping plan for $77B high-speed rail from LA to San - RightNation.US

California scrapping plan for $77B high-speed rail from LA to San Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gertie Keddle 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:23 PM

California scrapping plan for $77B high-speed rail from LA to San Francisco

By Brittany De Lea
Published February 12, 2019
U.S. Economy FOXBusiness
Excerpt:

Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison on technology's impact on health care, the future of AI, autonomous vehicles, California's plans for a high-speed train and how technology will impact other sectors.

California Opens a New Window. is scrapping current plans to build Opens a New Window. a $77 billion high-speed rail line from Los Angeles to California due to high costs.

The state’s governor, Gavin Newsom, said during his State of the State address on Tuesday that the proposal would “cost too much” and “take too long.”

“Right now there simply isn’t a path to get from Sacramento to San Diego, let alone from San Francisco to L.A.,” he added.

The project was supported by Newsom’s predecessor Gov. Jerry Brown. It is estimated that it would have been completed by 2033. It is projected the train would have transported more than 120,000 riders per day, at speeds of up to 200 mph.

Instead, Newsom said he intends to build a high-speed line in California’s Central Valley – from Merced to Bakersfield. The governor acknowledged that critics might call this “a train to nowhere,” which he called wrong.

Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison previously said the initiative could become one of the state’s “great embarrassments” during an interview with FOX Business. In his opinion, in the future people are going to be taking autonomous electric cars from Los Angeles to San Francisco “at a tiny fraction of the cost,” affording them the leisure to leave whenever they please.

He also noted the project would be "astronomical."

Article

I thought HSR was the wave of the future ...

#2 User is online   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:41 PM

Similarly idiotic plans in Texas for a supposed "private" venture for HSR between Houston and Dallas. We pray it fails.

#3 User is online   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:56 PM

We have high speed rail, they are called airplanes and they cruise at about 500Knots over the ground depending on winds.

#4 User is online   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 12 February 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

We have high speed rail, they are called airplanes and they cruise at about 500Knots over the ground depending on winds.

Are the surfaces of the wings made out of solar panel stuff?

#5 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

View PostGertie Keddle, on 12 February 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

California scrapping plan for $77B high-speed rail from LA to San Francisco

By Brittany De Lea
Published February 12, 2019
U.S. Economy FOXBusiness
Excerpt:

Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison on technology's impact on health care, the future of AI, autonomous vehicles, California's plans for a high-speed train and how technology will impact other sectors.

California Opens a New Window. is scrapping current plans to build Opens a New Window. a $77 billion high-speed rail line from Los Angeles to California due to high costs.

The state's governor, Gavin Newsom, said during his State of the State address on Tuesday that the proposal would "cost too much" and "take too long."

"Right now there simply isn't a path to get from Sacramento to San Diego, let alone from San Francisco to L.A.," he added.

The project was supported by Newsom's predecessor Gov. Jerry Brown. It is estimated that it would have been completed by 2033. It is projected the train would have transported more than 120,000 riders per day, at speeds of up to 200 mph.

Instead, Newsom said he intends to build a high-speed line in California's Central Valley – from Merced to Bakersfield. The governor acknowledged that critics might call this "a train to nowhere," which he called wrong.

Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison previously said the initiative could become one of the state's "great embarrassments" during an interview with FOX Business. In his opinion, in the future people are going to be taking autonomous electric cars from Los Angeles to San Francisco "at a tiny fraction of the cost," affording them the leisure to leave whenever they please.

He also noted the project would be "astronomical."

Article

I thought HSR was the wave of the future ...

AOC wants to get rid of planes altogether. HSR to Europe, everyone!

#6 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:30 PM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 12 February 2019 - 05:14 PM, said:

AOC wants to get rid of planes altogether. HSR to Europe, everyone!

It might get a little damp on the way but that wouldn't bother the intrepid planet savior AOC. :P

And this sentence from the OP bothers me because it's backward:

"Right now there simply isn't a path to get from Sacramento to San Diego (longer distance), let alone from San Francisco to L.A. (shorter distance) " he added.

It should read, "Right now there simply isn't a path to get from San Francisco to L.A., let alone from Sacramento to San Diego,"

#7 User is online   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

They ran out of odumbo stimulus cash.

#8 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:43 PM

The problem is not HSR, but the route. Germany, France, and Japan are examples of how it CAN work.

Or, for that matter, Rail Travel in general.

The ANSWER is so blinding obvious that everyone BUT politicians and Amtrak can understand it: Build Rail where people WANT to go, not where YOU'D want them to go.

Best Rail Service EVER in the USA, bar none, was the 20th Century Limited operated by NY Central from 1915 or so to 1960-something. But NYCRR was a private business; they either got rich or went broke on UNDERSTANDING what the paying customer wanted and was willing to pay for. The Free Market at it's finest.

Amtrak? Not so much.

I'm currently in the the Atlanta GA area. Relatives in the (greater) Indianapolis IN area. Solemn vow with Mrs. Smithee was that we could "get home" at least once a year. love to do it by Rail: Sit back, look at the passing scenery, have a nice first-class dinner, then retire to a Pullman "roomette" to do the things that "Nature and Nature's God" intended to come next.

But... To get from ATL to IND via rail??? Three day trip. Via Lorton VA.

"My Way"??? We already KNOW where people want to go. The Interstates take us there. BUILD on that. High Speed Rail in the median of interstates, with change-of-station in the same way.

In this model, using my own personal reference, Rail on the I-75 Corridor from ATL to Cincinnati. Change trains, follow the I-74 corridor to Indy. Likewise, I-65 corridor through Louisville KY would work as well.

I should be the Czar of such things. Put ME in charge of Amtrak, I could make it work. First step would be privatizing it to the next NYCRR. Those people knew a thing or two.

#9 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

What is it with the left and rail? They want to take archaic transportation and force it on everyone. I thought they were supposed to be the forward thinkers? Morons, the lot of them.

#10 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

View Posterp, on 12 February 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

What is it with the left and rail? They want to take archaic transportation and force it on everyone. I thought they were supposed to be the forward thinkers? Morons, the lot of them.

Two words: Cattle cars

#11 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

“Right now there simply isn’t a path to get from Sacramento to San Diego, let alone from San Francisco to L.A.,” he added.

Apparently Newsome isn't familiar with the freeway system in the state he now governs.

But, he managed to pull his leftard card by saying this...

Newsom said he intends to build a high-speed line in California’s Central Valley – from Merced to Bakersfield. The governor acknowledged that critics might call this “a train to nowhere,” which he called wrong.

Merced to Bakersfield... Billions of dollars to build a high speed line from Merced to Bakersfield.

What a <censored>ing wastrel of money THAT AIN'T HIS!

Anyone who backs this idea is as massive a cretin is grinning Gavin is.

#12 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

Instead, relocating it from Tijuana to LA <_<

#13 User is offline   moocow 

• <no title>

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:31 PM

Just as I predicted probably 8 years ago, that the high speed rail would go nowhere. BTW, didn't california already pass some $10B bond or some such for the HSR already? What happened to that money?

#14 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:25 AM

View Postmoocow, on 12 February 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

Just as I predicted probably 8 years ago, that the high speed rail would go nowhere. BTW, didn't california already pass some $10B bond or some such for the HSR already? What happened to that money?

I'm still waiting for the first audit promised to tell us where the $$$$$$ from the lottery income is going...

#15 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:46 AM

View Posterp, on 12 February 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

AOC believes everyone should have to give up personal conveyances and just use public transportation.

#16 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:49 AM

Good riddance.

#17 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:53 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 February 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

The problem is not HSR, but the route. Germany, France, and Japan are examples of how it CAN work.

Or, for that matter, Rail Travel in general.

The ANSWER is so blinding obvious that everyone BUT politicians and Amtrak can understand it: Build Rail where people WANT to go, not where YOU'D want them to go.

Best Rail Service EVER in the USA, bar none, was the 20th Century Limited operated by NY Central from 1915 or so to 1960-something. But NYCRR was a private business; they either got rich or went broke on UNDERSTANDING what the paying customer wanted and was willing to pay for. The Free Market at it's finest.

Amtrak? Not so much.

I'm currently in the the Atlanta GA area. Relatives in the (greater) Indianapolis IN area. Solemn vow with Mrs. Smithee was that we could "get home" at least once a year. love to do it by Rail: Sit back, look at the passing scenery, have a nice first-class dinner, then retire to a Pullman "roomette" to do the things that "Nature and Nature's God" intended to come next.

But... To get from ATL to IND via rail??? Three day trip. Via Lorton VA.

"My Way"??? We already KNOW where people want to go. The Interstates take us there. BUILD on that. High Speed Rail in the median of interstates, with change-of-station in the same way.

In this model, using my own personal reference, Rail on the I-75 Corridor from ATL to Cincinnati. Change trains, follow the I-74 corridor to Indy. Likewise, I-65 corridor through Louisville KY would work as well.

I should be the Czar of such things. Put ME in charge of Amtrak, I could make it work. First step would be privatizing it to the next NYCRR. Those people knew a thing or two.

Main problem I can see is all the dumb asses who would be hitting the trains, fencing, guardrails and such.
BUT, if a person elevated it at key areas such as stations or where there are left turns. Has potential though. I could especially see this in places where people would use for a work commute. That may mean two trains or even two tracks + losing a lane on the road. BUT, if tons of people use the train instead of driving there won't be the need for the lost lane in the first place.

Thinking that maybe at each of the main stops you have parking ramps, this was people essentially can still drive that last mile or two, or first mile or two if need be and use the trains for the main long haul part of their commute. Won't be perfect for everyone but maybe just maybe for enough that it can keep the whole thing financially solvent.

Oki

#18 User is online   NH Populist 

• <no title>

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:33 AM

Seems like a highspeed rail system with a destination outside of California has the potential to be a huge success. Ticket sales going in the other direction? Probably not so much...

#19 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:35 AM

View PostNH Populist, on 13 February 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

Seems like a highspeed rail system with a destination outside of California has the potential to be a huge success. Ticket sales going in the other direction? Probably not so much...

San Francisco to Dallas $2,031
https://www.uhaul.co...ns/RatesTrucks/

Dallas to San Francisco $974

For the same size truck no less.....

Not much more needs to be said.

Oki

#20 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

The Moonbeam Express to Nowhere is no more.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users