RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The Magnificent Seven - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Magnificent Seven Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   vectorsrule 

• Fear is excitement in need of an attitude adjustment
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN
Brian Tallerico
Rogerebert.com
September 23, 2016

Rarely have so many charismatic actors been used in a film that feels quite as soulless as Antoine Fuqua’s update of “The Magnificent Seven.” It’s one of those projects that should work on paper. The cast is perfectly assembled, and I’ve actually been a bigger fan than most of Fuqua’s recent old-fashioned morality plays like “The Equalizer” and “Southpaw.” However, this effort, the opening night film of the Toronto International Film Festival, too often registers as hollow, an exercise in genre that has echoes of the John Sturges and Akira Kurosawa versions, but little of the charm of the former and none of the depth of the latter. The sheer talent of the cast here sometimes provides enough depth to get audience members to the climactic shoot-out, and there are a few definite MVPs in terms of ensemble, but it’s hard to envision this film having anywhere near the cinematic legacy of those that inspired it.

Link

I'm just trying to save you some time. I Just got this on Netflix and it is mediocre, it wasn't "bad" but it wasn't good either, and it really could have been. Two and a quarter hours of dialog, senseless logic, followed by a lot of unbelievable action scenes. Kind of like Lone Ranger remake, but a lite version of that. Have any of you ever shot a pistol? No, you do not hit 100% of what you shoot at, especially when 25-100 yards away, while being shot at. Seven guys kill about 100, each guy they kill is presumably just as talented a killer. It also makes no sense in the build up why most of the mercenaries are willing to sign up for something they will surely die for and for no money or upside. You also get modern dialog and it feels more like "westworld" the the real out-west.

Did you see it? Like it? I give it two out of five stars.

#2 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

While I liked the original 1960 version, it paled in comparison to the original Kurosawa Seven Samurai, which was much more dramatic and thought provoking. I doubt I'll see this, remakes of remakes of remakes is all Hollyweird seems able to do anymore, that and comic book superhero flicks, and I hate that crap.

Thanks for posting though, I'd forgotten this was even out there.

I am considering going to the sequel to Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, but am extremely leery as I fully expect to be severely disappointed. Blade Runner is just about my favorite film ever, and if the sequel is anywhere near as bad as Prometheus was compared with Alien I might open my wrists in the theater.

#3 User is offline   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

I got this on Netflix also. I thought it was OK, but not as good as the first one. I agree that the mercenaries didn't seem to have very good reasons for signing on to the cause. The knife-throwing and gun accuracy was certainly absurd, kind of like the old TV westerns were. But it was still a fun watch for me and I'd give it three stars for being fun.

#4 User is offline   LeansToTheRight 

• Dr. Elson Floyd. RIP

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

It was "entertaining" when I watched it as an inflight movie for free. However, if I had to pay for it, I would've been disappointed.

First, I have a hard time with movies where the characters are able to shoot anything and everything with dead accuracy with a pistol - sideways, upward angle, etc. I've never shot a pistol, but this has never seemed realistic to me.

2nd, I have a hard time with movies where there is mass-slaughter of anything and everything except the main characters miraculously avoid even getting a scratch on them.

I'm sure there's a third thing, but it's been awhile since I saw the movie and I can't remember off the top of my head. But the first two things put the movie into "mediocre at best" level.

Never saw the other versions of the movie made years ago, so can't compare.

#5 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

View PostSeverian, on 20 March 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

While I liked the original 1960 version, it paled in comparison to the original Kurosawa Seven Samurai, which was much more dramatic and thought provoking. I doubt I'll see this, remakes of remakes of remakes is all Hollyweird seems able to do anymore, that and comic book superhero flicks, and I hate that crap.

Thanks for posting though, I'd forgotten this was even out there.

I am considering going to the sequel to Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, but am extremely leery as I fully expect to be severely disappointed. Blade Runner is just about my favorite film ever, and if the sequel is anywhere near as bad as Prometheus was compared with Alien I might open my wrists in the theater.

Which I just watched at a Glasgow art cinema, first time watched on the big screen. The cinema was doing a Toshiro Mifune series.

3hrs 21m just flew by, a majestic film.

#6 User is offline   Martin 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostLeansToTheRight, on 20 March 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

First, I have a hard time with movies where the characters are able to shoot anything and everything with dead accuracy with a pistol - sideways, upward angle, etc. I've never shot a pistol, but this has never seemed realistic to me.

I love the movie "The Long Riders" even though it takes some liberties with historical facts. What gets me is the saloon scene where the floozy's gunshot cuts the wire holding up the chandelier. That would be mighty accurate shooting with any pistol but the actress does it with a Derringer.

She then proceeds to shoot a bottle off the bar. It bursts into a million pieces but neither the bullet or the flying glass breaks the mirror behind the bottle because there isn't any bullet and there isn't any glass. There is a squib inside the crystal-sugar fake bottle because it would be crazy to risk the actors getting hurt.

So, you're entirely correct, Leans Right. It is tough enough to shoot a pistol accurately at the range when you're holding it with both hands but in the movies they can hit anything one-handed while riding horseback.

edited to add: I still haven't figured out how a movie cowboy can shoot a six-shot revolver ten times without reloading it.

This post has been edited by Martin: 20 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

#7 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

View PostSeverian, on 20 March 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

the sequel to Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049,

:hairpull:

#8 User is online   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

View PostLongKnife, on 20 March 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

I got this on Netflix also. I thought it was OK, but not as good as the first one. I agree that the mercenaries didn't seem to have very good reasons for signing on to the cause. The knife-throwing and gun accuracy was certainly absurd, kind of like the old TV westerns were. But it was still a fun watch for me and I'd give it three stars for being fun.

Dont remake stuff thatcant be improved

#9 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

View Postscotsman, on 20 March 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Which I just watched at a Glasgow art cinema, first time watched on the big screen. The cinema was doing a Toshiro Mifune series.

3hrs 21m just flew by, a majestic film.

Mifune was an amazing actor, such incredible presence. And Mifune and Kurosawa were a perfect combination. I still remember the first time I saw Rashomon and the effect it had on me, I couldn't think of much else for at least a week.

#10 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

I liked it overall, although I like pretty much anything Chris Pratt does.

#11 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

View PostBuckwheat Jones, on 20 March 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

Dont remake stuff thatcant be improved

Amusing considering this is one of the most remade movies in history. Hell, the original Magnificent Seven itself was a remake of one of the greatest Japanese movies of all time.

#12 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

Was highly disappointed in this film. Thought it sucked.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users