RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 2019 celebrity death list - RightNation.US

2019 celebrity death list Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:59 AM

Albert Finney: British actor dies aged 82
https://www.bbc.com/...t-arts-47175304

Always liked him.. RIP

#42 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:31 AM

RIP Mr. Finney.

:(

#43 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:11 AM

Sad news, one of the true giants of acting is gone.

RIP.

His birthplace of Salford in Manchester also produced Robert Powell, another great actor, must be something in the water.

#44 User is online   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:44 PM

View PostLadybird, on 08 February 2019 - 09:59 AM, said:

Albert Finney: British actor dies aged 82
https://www.bbc.com/...t-arts-47175304

Always liked him.. RIP

Haven't seen anywhere near all of his work, but he was great as an Irish mob boss in Millers Crossing, which is a must see for anyone who is a fan of the Coen Brothers. RIP

Edit: Wasn't he also knighted?

This post has been edited by Hieronymous: 11 February 2019 - 09:45 PM

#45 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:50 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 11 February 2019 - 09:44 PM, said:

Haven't seen anywhere near all of his work, but he was great as an Irish mob boss in Millers Crossing, which is a must see for anyone who is a fan of the Coen Brothers. RIP

He would have been but according to Wikipedia, he declined the honor:

Finney turned down the offer of a CBE in 1980, and a knighthood in 2000. He criticised the honours system for "perpetuating snobbery"

#46 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:54 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 11 February 2019 - 09:44 PM, said:

As a Brit and a film buff, I have seen most of his film and TV work, from his breakthrough in Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, Gumshoe, Two For the Road, Loophole, Charlie Bubbles to of course Kincaid in Skyfall (originally supposed to be Sean Connery, but they dropped that idea).

#47 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:44 AM

RIP, Gordon Banks.

Widely regarded as one of the greatest goalkeepers ever, he was England's keeper for their one World Cup winning side in 1966. That World Cup was just before I was born, but as a boy in the late 70s I'd heard of his past exploits and even got to see him play here in America when he came over play in the old North American Soccer League. It was one of the NY Cosmos games my dad took me to see (Banks was on the visiting team, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers) and there he was, someone who in his prime was up there with Lev Yashin. Of course, by then, Banks could only see out of one eye due to his auto accident and was near the end of his career. I don't recall him doing anything especially notable that day, and certainly nothing near as memorable as his famous save off Pele, but it's still a nice childhood memory.

#48 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:50 PM

Yep.Football (soccer) legend, for many the best goalkeeper ever. Not mine (that would be the great Russian, Lev Yashin), but definitely one of the best ever. Legend is a word too used today, but Banks was a great by any measure.

TBH, as this is a US site, I didn't post, as only a few would know who he is. Despite being a worldwide household name and legend. He is now the 4th out of the 11 who played that famous day in 1966, who have passed away. Most still living are in their 70s/early 80s.

THAT save in HD:

RIP Gordon Banks. A true legend to all soccer fans

This post has been edited by scotsman: 13 February 2019 - 11:27 PM

#49 User is online   Hieronymous 

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:42 PM

View Postscotsman, on 13 February 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

Yep.Football (soccer) legend, for many the best goalkeeper ever. Not mine (that would be the great Russian, Lev Yashin), but definitely one of the best ever.

TBH, as this is a US site, I didn't post, as only a few would know who he is. Despite being a worldwide household name and legend. He is now the 4th out of the 11 who played that famous day in 1966, who have passed away. Most still living are in their 70s/early 80s.

THAT save (at 48 secs onwards):

That was awesome.

#50 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:16 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 13 February 2019 - 10:42 PM, said:

That was awesome.

Edited my post to replace posted clip with even better HD quality clip, which has rarely seen angles. Amazing save, the long pass from Brazil right back, the legendary Carlos Alberto, was gorgeous. A curving 20/25 yard pass on the run. And from the equally legendary winger Jairzinho, a wonderful cross at full pace. Pele's header was brilliant and textbook, and 99.99% of the time would have been a goal.

That 1970 Brazil team is still regarded by many as the best football side ever. Club or country. Even those who don't have them in their top 5. Young fans today still know the stars of that team. This legendary goal in the final sums them up and the sheer joy of Brazilians and football:

This post has been edited by scotsman: 13 February 2019 - 11:53 PM

#51 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:05 PM

Yep.Football (soccer) legend, for many the best goalkeeper ever. Not mine (that would be the great Russian, Lev Yashin), but definitely one of the best ever. Legend is a word too used today, but Banks was a great by any measure.

I think most people with an opinion about it would say Yashin was the greatest, with keepers like Banks, Sepp Meier (a personal favorite) and Dino Zoff duking it out for second place. Out of 20th Century keepers, anyway.

Of 21st Century keepers, I'd say most people would say it's so far between Buffon and Casillas, though as a Man United supporter, I have to at least go through the motions of a nudge for Schmeichel. And a few people might also bring up Kahn (though he sort of straddles the two centuries...and Schmeichel even more so, now that I think about it :lol: Man, I'm really getting old.).

This post has been edited by Ben Cranklin: 14 February 2019 - 10:35 PM

#52 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

View Postscotsman, on 13 February 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

Edited my post to replace posted clip with even better HD quality clip, which has rarely seen angles. Amazing save, the long pass from Brazil right back, the legendary Carlos Alberto, was gorgeous. A curving 20/25 yard pass on the run. And from the equally legendary winger Jairzinho, a wonderful cross at full pace. Pele's header was brilliant and textbook, and 99.99% of the time would have been a goal.

That 1970 Brazil team is still regarded by many as the best football side ever. Club or country. Even those who don't have them in their top 5. Young fans today still know the stars of that team. This legendary goal in the final sums them up and the sheer joy of Brazilians and football:

As a Hungarian, I have to say the Hungarians of the 50s (the ones who were the first non-British side to ever beat England in Wembley, among other achievements) have to be in that conversation. A highly revolutionary and influential side, as well. For example, Rinus Michels was very clear on saying they were the role models for the great total football Dutch sides of the 70s.

As for Brazil, a fair amount of people like to say Brazil's '82 World Cup team was even better than '70, though of course '82 didn't win. But the best team doesn't always...the Hungarians in '54 didn't either, though they did set an undefeated streak before that which was a record right up until the great Spanish team of the past decade managed to break it (31 matches versus 33, or something like that?). Hell, the total football Dutch lost two World Cups in the '70s, also, having the great misfortune of having to play the host nation in the final both times.

#53 User is online   Hieronymous 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:50 PM

THAT save in HD:

RIP Gordon Banks. A true legend to all soccer fans

I know this is a US site, but posting soccer stuff will get a few looks here, or not...several weeks ago I posted about a documentary on Sunderland. Don't think it moved the meter for anyone, but I liked the documentary lol

#54 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:02 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 14 February 2019 - 11:50 PM, said:

I know this is a US site, but posting soccer stuff will get a few looks here, or not...several weeks ago I posted about a documentary on Sunderland. Don't think it moved the meter for anyone, but I liked the documentary lol

You should post it again.

This is another good documentary, not about a club, but about a national side: North Korea's adventure at the '66 World Cup (which was the WC Gordon Banks was the winning goalkeeper of, whose death started this whole line of discussion). Besides just the football history, it even gives some decent insight into North Korean culture, which should be of current interest to any politically engaged American.

This post has been edited by Ben Cranklin: 15 February 2019 - 07:03 AM

#55 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 14 February 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

I think most people with an opinion about it would say Yashin was the greatest, with keepers like Banks, Sepp Meier (a personal favorite) and Dino Zoff duking it out for second place. Out of 20th Century keepers, anyway.

Of 21st Century keepers, I'd say most people would say it's so far between Buffon and Casillas, though as a Man United supporter, I have to at least go through the motions of a nudge for Schmeichel. And a few people might also bring up Kahn (though he sort of straddles the two centuries...and Schmeichel even more so, now that I think about it :lol: Man, I'm really getting old.).

Yashin, Banks, Zoff, Maier, Shilton.....best UK in my lifetime imo Andy Goram. But then, I AM biased. (ironically I was t his first two games for Rangers, and both were nightmares for him, he was terrible). And at 5'10, small for a goalkeeper. And was chunky and had some weight problems at times. But what a keeper. .

The save at 2.29m is simply ridiculous...

21st C?. Probably Buffon for me.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 15 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

#56 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:37 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 14 February 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

As a Hungarian, I have to say the Hungarians of the 50s (the ones who were the first non-British side to ever beat England in Wembley, among other achievements) have to be in that conversation. A highly revolutionary and influential side, as well. For example, Rinus Michels was very clear on saying they were the role models for the great total football Dutch sides of the 70s.

As for Brazil, a fair amount of people like to say Brazil's '82 World Cup team was even better than '70, though of course '82 didn't win. But the best team doesn't always...the Hungarians in '54 didn't either, though they did set an undefeated streak before that which was a record right up until the great Spanish team of the past decade managed to break it (31 matches versus 33, or something like that?). Hell, the total football Dutch lost two World Cups in the '70s, also, having the great misfortune of having to play the host nation in the final both times.

Hungary 1950-56 invented modern football. Much as I love that fantastic Dutch side of the 70s. They took the Hungarian ideas and took them to another level. But the Hungarians invented the modern game. We still use most of their ideas today. Like the 'false nine' or the importance of the number 10 position. Ironically Hungary 54 and Holland 74 are by general consensus the two best teams NOT to win a WC and they both lost to (vg) German teams. Never get tired of seeing Puskas's dragback at Wembley, which sent the great Billy Wright going in the wrong direction ('like a fireman going to the wrong fire', as one UK pundit famously said at the time).

I would say Brazil 70 was better than 82, more complete even if Brazil 82 (the best team I have seen in my lifetime) was probably more fractionally spectacular in terma of sheer flair.

#57 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

An involved and knowledgeable soccer discussion on RN?.
Am I dreaming? LOL

Better enjoy it whilst it lasts. LOL

#58 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:19 AM

Sandra Locke Dead At 74.

#59 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:32 AM

View PostSeverian, on 15 February 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

???

That was last November. In fact, here's your own post from last year's thread.

:scratch:

#60 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

So, I have oldtimer's disease. Stop triggering me!

I just ran across it again and forgot. I'm hugging my teddy bear as I type this, you meanie! :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users