RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Mick Jagger To Undergo Heart Surgery - RightNation.US

Mick Jagger To Undergo Heart Surgery Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

View PostNH Populist, on 02 April 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

Don't know if anyone caught this kid a couple of years ago on America's got Talent, but she's a throwback to another time. Really good too...The next Joplin?

Yup, she's great. I don't ordinarily watch that show, so I have no idea if anybody signed her up. But if not, then they really missed out. What a great talent!

View Postgravelrash, on 02 April 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

I have heard freshly-hatched chicks being pecked to death by their own brood with more range and tonality.

View PostTikk, on 02 April 2019 - 08:14 PM, said:

That and cats fornicating.

As I said in a previous post, everybody's entitled to their opinion.

I don't share yours. Janis Joplin was one of the greatest "white soul" and blues singers who ever lived. As somebody who spent many years singing for a living, I can only wish I had her level of talent. If I did, I'd be a millionaire.

B)

#22 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:54 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 02 April 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

I can't stand her 5-pack-a-day smoker rasp. Not sorry, she was a horrible singer. The Rolling Stones' cover is almost as awful.

:yeahthat:

She sounded like a wounded cougar caught in a steel jaw trap.

She had plenty of soul and feeling, but that voice? :blink:

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 03 April 2019 - 12:01 AM

#23 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:57 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 02 April 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

I have heard freshly-hatched chicks being pecked to death by their own brood with more range and tonality.

:exactly:

Many people like many things that I don't. :shrug:

Especially musicians that just don't sound that good.

I for one can't stand to listen to Bruce "the mumber" Springsteen even though millions like the guy and his incoherent mumbling.

Millions love Jerry Seinfeld even though he isn't funny at all.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 03 April 2019 - 12:00 AM

#24 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:59 PM

Back to Mick, he will have a new meaning when he makes his comeback and sings "Start Me Up" with his new heart valve.

#25 User is offline   NH Populist 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:12 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 02 April 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

Yup, she's great. I don't ordinarily watch that show, so I have no idea if anybody signed her up. But if not, then they really missed out. What a great talent!
B)

Saw not long ago her and Simon Cowell together, he signed her up.

#26 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:53 AM

View Posterp, on 02 April 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

Summertime, is without a doubt, one of the greatest songs ever recorded. There is no way it would have been as good with her rasp. Add those two lead guitars. Pure magic.

:yeahthat:

It gives me chills.

#27 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:56 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 02 April 2019 - 07:17 PM, said:

:2up:

Turtle Blues
Ball & Chain
Piece Of My Heart
Summertime
Mercedes Benz
Me & Bobby Magee
Bye Bye Baby
Try (Just A Little Bit Harder)
Cry Baby
Down On Me
Get It While You Can
Move Over
Maybe

Oh man, GREAT music. I'm aware everybody's entitled to their opinion. And I understand that not everybody loves the blues and/or the necessary "blues voice" that makes the blues even greater.

But Janis will always be my own favorite female singer, bar none. I love Mama Cass, Della Reese, Aretha Franklin, Grace Slick, Dusty Springfield, Dionne Warwick, Petula Clark, Lulu, Diana Ross and plenty more. But Janis was the best.

:yes:

Dusty for me. Aretha just behind.

If you love Janis, then Maggie Bell was and is the UK equivalent. Both solo and in the great Scottish band Stone the Crows from the 70s. Another UK female legend I would recommend is Elkie Brooks.

#28 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:10 AM

View PostTikk, on 02 April 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

I wonder why he isn't staying in the UK for surgery. Or going to Cuba. Or Venezuela .

Odd.

He lives in the US. If he lived in the UK, then he would have access to the best private and/or NHS care in London, where you will have care and doctors as good as any in the US or the world. And I think he all know Mick did/will go private.

I don't want to get into a 20 page debate on the issue, suffice it to say, as a cynical and conservative Brit, I am no fanboy cheerleader for the NHS and know its flaws as a Brit, former brief NHS admin worker in two hospitals and as a patient/family member, but also will correct any claim here on RN or from the US, that its some third rate system. I am sure all here would find flaws in it if they used it or lived in the UK, but equally I think they'd see its flawed, BUT a far better system than the OTT hype from the US has them believe.

I haven't been on RN for 6 wks because my mother had been fighting (thankfully detected very early) cancer. Which was operated on and removed. And will be monitored every 6 months for the rest of her life (she is 74).The NHS hospital, staff and support staff could not have done a more wonderful job. They were terrific. As they did and were in 2008 and 2017, when my father took seriously ill with two heart attacks. The NHS has literally saved the lives of both my parents. And dealt with other non life threatening issues, from local GP's to surgery.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 04 May 2019 - 06:12 AM

#29 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:02 AM

Sorry to hear that Scotsman, best wishes to your mum for a full recovery.

#30 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

View Postscotsman, on 04 May 2019 - 05:56 AM, said:

Dusty for me. Aretha just behind.

If you love Janis, then Maggie Bell was and is the UK equivalent. Both solo and in the great Scottish band Stone the Crows from the 70s. Another UK female legend I would recommend is Elkie Brooks.

(First off - Best wishes to your mother!)

Yes, we've discussed Maggie Bell before, so perhaps you'll recall I was already a huge fan way back in the 70's. And yes I agree, she and Janis have striking musical similarities.

I'll go see what Elkie Brooks stuff I can find at YouTube later when I have more time on my hands. For today I'll be busy all afternoon: I'm booked to sing & play guitar tomorrow afternoon at a memorial wake for a good friend who died recently. And since it's going to be "pot-luck" I'm going to spend this afternoon making huge batches of fried chicken, deviled eggs, and salad.

But tomorrow night/Monday morning I'll have all the time in the world.

B)

#31 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:02 PM

View Postscotsman, on 04 May 2019 - 06:10 AM, said:

He lives in the US. If he lived in the UK, then he would have access to the best private and/or NHS care in London, where you will have care and doctors as good as any in the US or the world. And I think he all know Mick did/will go private.

I don't want to get into a 20 page debate on the issue, suffice it to say, as a cynical and conservative Brit, I am no fanboy cheerleader for the NHS and know its flaws as a Brit, former brief NHS admin worker in two hospitals and as a patient/family member, but also will correct any claim here on RN or from the US, that its some third rate system. I am sure all here would find flaws in it if they used it or lived in the UK, but equally I think they'd see its flawed, BUT a far better system than the OTT hype from the US has them believe.

I haven't been on RN for 6 wks because my mother had been fighting (thankfully detected very early) cancer. Which was operated on and removed. And will be monitored every 6 months for the rest of her life (she is 74).The NHS hospital, staff and support staff could not have done a more wonderful job. They were terrific. As they did and were in 2008 and 2017, when my father took seriously ill with two heart attacks. The NHS has literally saved the lives of both my parents. And dealt with other non life threatening issues, from local GP's to surgery.

Prayers for your mum.

#32 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 04 May 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

(First off - Best wishes to your mother!)

Yes, we've discussed Maggie Bell before, so perhaps you'll recall I was already a huge fan way back in the 70's. And yes I agree, she and Janis have striking musical similarities.

I'll go see what Elkie Brooks stuff I can find at YouTube later when I have more time on my hands. For today I'll be busy all afternoon: I'm booked to sing & play guitar tomorrow afternoon at a memorial wake for a good friend who died recently. And since it's going to be "pot-luck" I'm going to spend this afternoon making huge batches of fried chicken, deviled eggs, and salad.

But tomorrow night/Monday morning I'll have all the time in the world.

B)

Aw, man. BEST SONG EVER in a soundtrack was Louis Armstrong doing "We Have All The Time In the World" from the James Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Secret(1969)

At the risk of getting to "Kitschy" it was also the song I hired a band to play at I and Mrs. Smithee's wedding. (They also did Pachelbel's Canon in d and several others, including selections from AIDA).

We DO have all the time in the world. Bearing in mind that both "time" and "world" are finite variables.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 04 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

#33 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

I'm a huge Satchmo fan. I really am. But I've always loved his harder-edged stuff. The Jazz. The Blues. The bluesy jazz and the jazzy blues. Ragtime. The earliest recordings with all their scratchy hissy flaws. That's the Louis Armstrong I love.

His "smooth" and "mellow" stuff? Not so much.

Ya wanna hear a great blues/rock "All The Time In The World"? Here's the Climax Blues Band from sometime in the early 70's:

#34 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

Hey Scotsman, I have a request:

How about you name your own favorite/best Elkie Brooks song (or songs)? Then I won't have to sort through hours of stuff to find them.

Fair enough?

B)

This post has been edited by MontyPython: 04 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

#35 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 04 May 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

Prayers for your mum.

Thank you.

#36 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 04 May 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

How about you name your own favorite/best Elkie Brooks song (or songs)? Then I won't have to sort through hours of stuff to find them.

Fair enough?

B)

Elkie spilts into three phases: 1--early days doing r&b and soul before breaking through as 2--raunchy lead singer of Vinegar Joe, classic 70s UK rock band whose bandmate was Robert Palmer, who had huge solo success in the 80s and 90s. Phase 3 is whats she is best known for: her post Vinegar Joe solo career, as a more MOR/soft rock/pop artist, who had and has had massive success in the UK and Europe since the mid 70s.

In Vinegar, she was balls out dirty girl image, the girl that would drink your house dry, smoke all your cigarettes and seduce you.
Solo, she became the glamorous MOR singer who would appear on peaktime TV shows like The Two Ronnies, as the mass appeal musical guest.
This image changed in just a year or so. From nasty to glam.

With Vinegar Joe:

Solo:

(her best known and biggest hit, 1977)

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Elkie_Brooks

This post has been edited by scotsman: 07 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

#37 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

deleted post (dbl post)

This post has been edited by scotsman: 07 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

#38 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 04 May 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

Fair enough?

B)

Another two classic hits:

This post has been edited by scotsman: 07 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

#39 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Scotsman.

I remember Vinegar Joe. I always liked them and often wondered what ever happened to them. And of the four songs you posted, the first one (by Vinegar Joe) was far and away my favorite. Nice and rough. Balls-to-the-wall rock. I loved it. The next three were a little too "mellow" and "smooth" for my tastes.

B)

#40 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:31 PM

Changed my mind. :whistling:

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 07 May 2019 - 04:31 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic