RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Don McLean calls UCLA students 'morons' for offering, then res - RightNation.US

Don McLean calls UCLA students 'morons' for offering, then res Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 15 May 2019 - 02:12 PM, said:

Return of the Jedi (1983) might not have been an NSS poster. NSS was getting compettion by then as the industry was moving to smaller (and cheaper) 27" x 40"/41" "One Sheets" rather than the 40" x 60" NSS-size posters. NSS lasted a while longer but was gone by '99 or '00

Here's an original Star Wars (1977) 40" x 60" poster listing for $2,999: OriginalFilmArt.com: Star Wars (1977) If you zoom in and scroll to the center of the bottom margin it's a little blurry but you can just barely make out "Property of National Screen Service Corporation..."

Here's an original Return of the Jedi (1983) 27" by 41" "One Sheet" listing for $259 with certificate of authenticity from the same seller: OriginalFilmArt.com: Return of the Jedi (1983). There are no NSS markings in the margin, just "Printed in the USA".

How to tell these days? If it's 27"x41" (pre-'85) or 27"x40" ('85+) then it's likely a legit "One Sheet" actually used by a theater. If it's 24" x 36" then that's standard mass-market "poster size" that AFAIK were never used for legit ads.

EtA: What sucks is that if you're a collector, you pretty much have to go with custom framing for one-sheets. And that's not very budget-friendly. Of course if you're really fanatical you might be able to scare up a surplus lockable display case as used by some theaters, but I haven't seen one of those on the market in ages.

NSS always dealt in "one-sheets", in fact they were our biggest product, used much more often in far more theaters than the larger 40x60's or the smaller (11x14) lobby cards.

And yup, I recognize that Star Wars 40x60. I must've handled hundreds of those. (And thousands of "one-sheets".)

I'm pretty sure NSS was still in business in '83, and therefore suspect the authenticity of the "Return of the Jedi" one-sheet. And if I'm right, that would explain the MUCH lower asking price.

B)

#42 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 14 May 2019 - 11:28 AM, said:

Big Don McLean fan here. We used to do "American Pie" in the band,

I prefer the Weird Al version, better....The Saga Begins

#43 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

View PostDutch13, on 15 May 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

I prefer the Weird Al version, better....The Saga Begins

That has been presented and discussed in this thread.

:)

#44 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 15 May 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

I used to (back in the day) get asked to play "The Grave" from that album...hard to get thru that...damn hard.

Kestrel...

#45 User is online   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 15 May 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

So anyhow, yeah, I saw the very first Star Wars 42 years ago (1977) when it was originally released. And frankly, I never could understand what all the fuss was about. I mean sure, it was reasonably entertaining I guess, but nothing "great" or "amazing" or "fantastic". Nothing I'd bother to watch a second time, nor bother to see any of the sequels.

:shrug:

Entertainment is an individual thing. "Different strokes for different folks".

Your assessment of Star Wars is very similar to my assessment of the Beatles.

I watched their debut on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Yep, I'm old.

#46 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 15 May 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

NSS always dealt in "one-sheets", in fact they were our biggest product, used much more often in far more theaters than the larger 40x60's or the smaller (11x14) lobby cards.

And yup, I recognize that Star Wars 40x60. I must've handled hundreds of those. (And thousands of "one-sheets".)

I'm pretty sure NSS was still in business in '83, and therefore suspect the authenticity of the "Return of the Jedi" one-sheet. And if I'm right, that would explain the MUCH lower asking price.

B)

My projectionist days were '84-85. I remember the name NSS but at our independent 1-screen "Cinema Drafthouse" in Hobe Sound FL we got our stuff from elsewhere. The name of the place was "The Pitcher Show". (Pitcher not Picture, geddit? LOL.) later I worked a 6-screen multiplex in Jupiter FL that DID use NSS.

I'm struggling to recall who our distributor was. FilmBank? FilmWays? Something like that, FilmWhatever. You remember when Eva Gabor use to sign off Green Acres with "This has been a Film____ presentation, dahling"? Well, it wasn't them it was the other one. Or someone with a similar name.

At the one-screen? Loved the job. Not really a career job, though. Got paid $20 cash for each film, usually 2 per night with 3 on Fridays/Saturdays when they did Midnight movies with either Rocky Horror or Pink Floyd the Wall. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. For Free.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 15 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

#47 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:59 PM

View Postkestrel, on 15 May 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

I used to (back in the day) get asked to play "The Grave" from that album...hard to get thru that...damn hard.

Kestrel...

Yeah, not exactly a "cheerful" song...

View PostSARGE, on 15 May 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

Yep, I'm old.

Yup, I watched that Sullivan show too. Great performance!

:D

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 15 May 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

My projectionist days were '84-85. I remember the name NSS but at our independent 1-screen "Cinema Drafthouse" in Hobe Sound FL we got our stuff from elsewhere. The name of the place was "The Pitcher Show". (Pitcher not Picture, geddit? LOL.) later I worked a 6-screen multiplex in Jupiter FL that DID use NSS.

I'm struggling to recall who our distributor was. FilmBank? FilmWays? Something like that, FilmWhatever. You remember when Eva Gabor use to sign off Green Acres with "This has been a Film____ presentation, dahling"? Well, it wasn't them it was the other one. Or someone with a similar name.

At the one-screen? Loved the job. Not really a career job, though. Got paid $20 cash for each film, usually 2 per night with 3 on Fridays/Saturdays when they did Midnight movies with either Rocky Horror or Pink Floyd the Wall. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. For Free.

:2up:

#48 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

View Postoki, on 14 May 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

For the love of all things decent and holy never say Madonna and Pie in the same sentence.

:puke:

Oki

I have to defend 'Madge'.

The lady has made some great pop songs, and her 80s stuff is genuinely classic. Everyone (bar Monty lol) can reel off her many hits of that era, into the early 90s.

Where she lost it imo is the 90s, where she didn't mature as a pop act and went for shock. The lady HAS talent, but has allowed that to be lost too much by trying to maintain her pop icon status, rather than mature as a pop singer. The likes of Kylie Minogue show that it can be done, by shifting back and forth between musical styles.

Madge comes across as someone now trying too hard. Whereas someone like Kylie seems to move with the times effortlessly.

#49 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 14 May 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

I don't believe it was ever released as a "single", so you probably never heard it on the radio, but it was on the soundtrack to the film The Next Best Thing (2000) which was itself largely forgettable.

This was at the height of her techno-pop/synth-pop/whatever-you-call-it phase and, oh lord, it was terrible.

TBF I DID like Ray of Light. But AP cover was terrible and the Bond theme was the worst.
Big fan of Lenny Kravitz, but his cover of American Woman, about the same time, sucked.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 16 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

#50 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 15 May 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

Yes, I saw that AFTER the fact.

#51 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

View Postscotsman, on 16 May 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

Everyone (bar Monty lol) can reel off [Madonna's] many hits of that era, into the early 90s.

You got that exactly right, LOL. I couldn't name one single Madonna song without googling. Not one. Not if you offered $1000 for each one I could name.

View PostDutch13, on 16 May 2019 - 12:24 PM, said:

Yes, I saw that AFTER the fact.

That's why I always use the "Multiquote" feature in the lower-right-hand corner of each post I want to respond to. That way you can continue to read an entire thread to the end before responding to any individual post, while still saving each post you intend to respond to when you're finished reading the thread. I never post in any thread I haven't finished reading.

:coolshades:

#52 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:06 PM

View Postscotsman, on 16 May 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

I have to defend 'Madge'.

The lady has made some great pop songs, and her 80s stuff is genuinely classic. Everyone (bar Monty lol) can reel off her many hits of that era, into the early 90s.

Where she lost it imo is the 90s, where she didn't mature as a pop act and went for shock. The lady HAS talent, but has allowed that to be lost too much by trying to maintain her pop icon status, rather than mature as a pop singer. The likes of Kylie Minogue show that it can be done, by shifting back and forth between musical styles.

Madge comes across as someone now trying too hard. Whereas someone like Kylie seems to move with the times effortlessly.

NO argument in regards to her talent and ability. And yes, she cared more about using shock to sell then her talent. Sorry, but very few people can still 'sell sex' in any way shape or form past a certain age, I think only very recently did she MAYBE realize this. And even those who can still 'sell it' in some way shape or form have realized sooner or later both gravity and nature catch up to you and respond/dress/act accordingly. But, in her defense for a long long time she seemed like a lost soul and was still trying to use a sex sells approach to stay relevant.

Oki

#53 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

View PostSARGE, on 15 May 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

Yep, I'm old.

Weren't you also a founding member of the First Pterodactyl Brigade as well?
Or was it Mammoths?

:nanner:

Oki

#54 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

View Postscotsman, on 16 May 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

TBF I DID like Ray of Light. But AP cover was terrible and the Bond theme was the worst.
Big fan of Lenny Kravitz, but his cover of American Woman, about the same time, sucked.

Agree on both counts.

Kravitz gained me as a fan with Fly Away in '99. but lost me with American Woman in '00. Well, That was brief.

And FWIW I liked Ray of Light. The song, not the video. The song was a bit 'techno' for my taste, but okay. But the video? OMG. It must have been produced by a hyperactive 12YO speed freak binging on meth.

She should NEVER have applied that same 'style' to AP. In an earlier era, she'd have been burnt at the stake for 'Blasphemy'.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 16 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

#55 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:22 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 15 May 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

View PostMontyPython, on 15 May 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

:2up:

Well, this sucks:

The Theater I used to work at was robbed of almost $10,000 last week.

The thieves got away with three boxes of popcorn, two sodas, and extra-large box of Junior Mints.

LOL.

#56 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:40 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 16 May 2019 - 06:22 PM, said:

Well, this sucks:

The thieves got away with three boxes of popcorn, two sodas, and extra-large box of Junior Mints.

LOL.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#57 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:00 AM

Well, this sucks:

LOL.

That's bad... really bad... but damn if it isn't funny as well.

Oki

#58 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 16 May 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

You got that exactly right, LOL. I couldn't name one single Madonna song without googling. Not one. Not if you offered $1000 for each one I could name.

That's why I always use the "Multiquote" feature in the lower-right-hand corner of each post I want to respond to. That way you can continue to read an entire thread to the end before responding to any individual post, while still saving each post you intend to respond to when you're finished reading the thread. I never post in any thread I haven't finished reading.

:coolshades:

Please don't tell our Boston Sports lover that I did not know how to use that feature. He loves to point out that I "don't know how to use the website" because my ipad doesn't quote properly.

#59 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:40 AM

Well, this sucks:

LOL.

That sounds about right! :lol:

The employees at the theater concession stands ought to be wearing ski masks. :ph34r:

#60 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

View PostDutch13, on 17 May 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Please don't tell our Boston Sports lover that I did not know how to use that feature. He loves to point out that I "don't know how to use the website" because my ipad doesn't quote properly.

OK, mum's the word...

;)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users