RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 'Jeopardy!' contestant almost makes Alex Trebek cry by bet - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'Jeopardy!' contestant almost makes Alex Trebek cry by bet Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

'Jeopardy!' contestant almost makes Alex Trebek cry by betting 'We love you Alex'

Andrea Mandell
USA TODAY
11/11/19

EXCERPT:

Grab the tissues.

On Monday night's episode of "Jeopardy!," contestant Dhruv Gaur put his heart on his screen, writing "We (heart) you Alex!" instead of a Final Jeopardy answer.

The gesture caught host Alex Trebek, who is currently battling stage 4 pancreatic cancer, by surprise. The 79-year-old's voice caught, noting the contestant bet big on the sweet note.

"That's very kind of you, thank you. It cost you $1,995. You're left with $5," he said, his voice trembling. "OK."

The emotional moment came during an episode of the annual Tournament of Champions.

Gaur, a Brown University college student majoring in economics and public health, seemed stumped during the Final Jeopardy question. Instead of throwing out an answer, the 2018 College Champion decided to write a kind message for the beloved TV host.

(Full Story)

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:42 PM

Yup, I almost always watch Jeopardy, especially during the tournaments. So I saw this too. It was very touching.

*sniff*

#3 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:49 PM

Trebek IS Jeopardy... and is currently my second favorite game show host. Such a sad situation.

#4 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

He made the ultimate sacrifice! :welldone:

This post has been edited by RedSoloCup: 12 November 2019 - 10:12 AM

#5 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

"That's very kind of you, thank you. It cost you $1,995. You're left with $5," he said, his voice trembling. "OK."

I admire how Trebek tried to keep it professional and the show going. But, yeah, I choked up when I saw this.

#6 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

I love Jeopardy! and Alex Trebek. I used to watch it faithfully but got out of the habit. I'm sorry I missed seeing that touching tribute.

#7 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:15 PM

View Postgrimreefer, on 11 November 2019 - 11:49 PM, said:

Trebek IS Jeopardy... and is currently my second favorite game show host. Such a sad situation.

I am 57 years old. If I am not mistaken, in my lifetime Jeopardy has had two hosts. Although I am not sure it has run uninterrupted for all that time (Trebek started in 84?) that is still impressive. It has always been a great show.

#8 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:42 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 14 November 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

I am 57 years old. If I am not mistaken, in my lifetime Jeopardy has had two hosts. Although I am not sure it has run uninterrupted for all that time (Trebek started in 84?) that is still impressive. It has always been a great show.

The first Jeopardy host was Art Fleming. Here's a piece of trivia for ya: Art Fleming was the first-ever TV announcer to use the phrase "Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should."

:yes:

#9 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:51 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 14 November 2019 - 09:42 PM, said:

The first Jeopardy host was Art Fleming. Here's a piece of trivia for ya: Art Fleming was the first-ever TV announcer to use the phrase "Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should."

:yes:

I do remember Art Fleming, back when the answers were revealed by hand. My mom got me into watching that show when I was 4 or 5.

This post has been edited by Hieronymous: 15 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

#10 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 15 November 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

I do remember Art Fleming, back when the answers were revealed by hand. My mom got me into watching that show when I was 4 or 5.

Yup, me too. I've been watching Jeopardy since I was about 9 or so (when it first aired.) It's always been my favorite TV game show. Even now, 55 years later, I still watch it religiously.

I even used to play it online at the official Jeopardy website, back in the days when anybody could sign up and play for free, and there were no such things as "apps". The rules were a lot different than the TV show, and my highest-ever score was just slightly over 704,000. That's not a typo. As I said, the rules were a lot different. Mine was somewhere between the 20th and 30th highest-ever scores registered at that site.

But they had to shut it down eventually, because the "comments" sectioned turned into a political no-man's-land.

B)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users