RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: After fatal police shooting, black residents confront Buttigieg - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

After fatal police shooting, black residents confront Buttigieg Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:22 AM

‘We don’t trust you!’: After fatal police shooting, black residents confront Buttigieg
By Antonia Noori Farzan
June 24 at 6:50 AM
www.washingtonpost.com

On the campaign trail, Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., largely faced a warm reception as he emerged from relative obscurity to become a promising Democratic presidential contender. But when he addressed a majority-black audience on Sunday afternoon in South Bend, things were markedly different.

This time, Buttigieg wasn’t speaking as a candidate but as the mayor of a city where emotions have run high since a white police officer shot a black man last week and failed to capture the fatal confrontation with his body camera. The town hall meeting, which Buttigieg convened to respond to the rising tensions, descended into chaos as community members shouted their anger and frustration. At times, the mayor struggled to speak amid the interruptions, and he was repeatedly heckled and booed.

“We don’t trust you!” yelled one audience member. “Liar!” yelled another.

The police shooting fallout is the latest example of how thorny questions of race are playing a central role in the Democratic primary, most recently exemplified by backlash over Joe Biden’s remarks about working hand-in-hand with segregationists, and the ongoing debate over reparations. As The Washington Post’s Wesley Lowery reported, the shooting of 54-year-old Eric Logan has exposed Buttigieg’s chilly relationship with South Bend’s black community, which could potentially hurt him as he attempts to appeal to black voters on a national scale.

Buttigieg, whose campaign announced the day after the shooting that he had canceled a series of scheduled appearances so that he could stay in South Bend, told reporters after the town hall that he intended to follow up on the suggestions raised by residents at the meeting.

“You can sense the pain, not only around this incident, but around our history, not only around our history as a city, but what’s happening everywhere when it comes to the disempowerment that so many black Americans have felt in relationship to the police,” he said. “And obviously that was expressed in a lot of ways today.”

Though black residents’ frustrations with the South Bend Police Department predate Buttigieg’s tenure, it was clear on Sunday that the mayor’s presidential ambitions had done little to improve matters. At one point, when audience members were asked to be respectful of Buttigieg’s schedule and reminded that his time was limited, outrage erupted.

“You gotta get back to South Carolina like you was yesterday?” one man yelled, referencing Buttigieg’s decision to briefly return to the campaign trail on Saturday so that he could deliver a speech at the South Carolina Democratic Party Convention.

Police have said Logan was rifling through cars in an apartment complex’s parking lot in the early hours of June 16 when an officer confronted him. Logan allegedly pulled out a knife, and the officer opened fire. But because the officer failed to turn on his body camera, residents have expressed doubts about the truthfulness of the police department’s version of events, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Buttigieg’s initial response to the shooting was panned by critics. “How’s he handling it?” said Oliver Davis, the longest-serving black member of the South Bend Common Council, told The Post last week. “Well, he talked to the media before the family. He skipped the family vigil, full of black residents. And then he then gave a speech to the police. So, how do you think that went over?”

More

#2 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

After sun comes up black residents complain

#3 User is offline   NH Populist 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:15 AM

So, a guy who would be president can't handle the job of Mayor for one city?! Not gonna look good on your resume Pete... :sorry: :shrug:

#4 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

View PostNH Populist, on 24 June 2019 - 10:15 AM, said:

So, a guy who would be president can't handle the job of Mayor for one city?! Not gonna look good on your resume Pete... :sorry: :shrug:

Oh come on, he's the most qualified gay man running, thus obviously he should be POTUS.

#5 User is online   Big Dave 

• ...and yes, I am compensating for something.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:58 AM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 24 June 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

Oh come on, he's the most qualified gay man running, thus obviously he should be POTUS.

I thought we already had a gay POTUS.... :whistling:

#6 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:02 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 24 June 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

More qualified than Corey Booker?

#7 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:06 PM

View PostBig Dave, on 24 June 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

I thought we already had a gay POTUS.... :whistling:

Buttigieg agreed (he thinks we’ve already had one/some).

Note that he said gay, not bi, or “anything that moves” so Bill Clinton doesn’t qualify.

#8 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

View PostNH Populist, on 24 June 2019 - 10:15 AM, said:

This...and, on top of it, a town of what, 100,000? So not even a big city. Empty-suit shouldn't even be considered for governor of Indiana, let alone POTUS.

#9 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:38 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 24 June 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

This...and, on top of it, a town of what, 100,000? So not even a big city. Empty-suit shouldn't even be considered for governor of Indiana, let alone POTUS.

I seem to remember a time (not so long ago) when being the mayor of a town wasn't and even Governor of a state wasn't enough 'experience' to even be V.P.
My my what a difference time makes.

Oki

#10 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:38 PM

View Postoki, on 24 June 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

I seem to remember a time (not so long ago) when being the mayor of a town wasn't and even Governor of a state wasn't enough 'experience' to even be V.P.

Oki

Yes, lots of changes...

They used to laugh about pretending that she said she could see Russia from her house, even though she never said it; now they're dead serious when they say they see Russia everywhere, and pretend their saying it enough will somehow make it "evidence."

#11 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 24 June 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

Yes, lots of changes...

They used to laugh about pretending that she said she could see Russia from her house, even though she never said it; now they're dead serious when they say they see Russia everywhere, and pretend their saying it enough will somehow make it "evidence."

Yup, their hypocrisy has no limits.

Oki

#12 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:05 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 24 June 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

It’s (D)s we’re talking about....so running for pres qualifies to be pres....we were told that over and over and over by the least racist people anywhere who’d nonetheless only ever vote for a black man. (Although they were duped, because the dude was 50-50, or maybe less because he probably had more Indian than warren.)

#13 User is offline   corporal_little 

• What is your major malfunction....
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:10 PM

While this cracks me up, I still don't understand why people would be angry at the mayor. He didn't shoot anyone.

#14 User is offline   NH Populist 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM

View Postzurg, on 24 June 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

It’s (D)s we’re talking about....so running for pres qualifies to be pres....we were told that over and over and over by the least racist people anywhere who’d nonetheless only ever vote for a black man. (Although they were duped, because the dude was 50-50, or maybe less because he probably had more Indian than warren.)

Reminds me of the joke about a good ol' boy showing up at the Doctor's office for his vasectomy dressed in a suit and tie. Doctor asked him, "why are you dressed in suit to have your vasectomy"? Ol' boy replied, "If I'm gonna be impotent, I'm gonna look impotent"! It's probably safe to say the 50-50 dude thought of himself as very impotent...

This post has been edited by NH Populist: 24 June 2019 - 06:36 PM

#15 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:35 PM

View Postcorporal_little, on 24 June 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

While this cracks me up, I still don't understand why people would be angry at the mayor. He didn't shoot anyone.

That’s why they mad. He didn’t shoot the white cop.

#16 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:01 PM

delete

This post has been edited by RedSoloCup: 24 June 2019 - 07:03 PM

#17 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:16 PM

View Postoki, on 24 June 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

Oki

Mayor of a popsicle stand is qualified, but a businessman is not

#18 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:08 PM

View Postcorporal_little, on 24 June 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

But he can turn on the money faucet...

#19 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 24 June 2019 - 10:16 PM, said:

Mayor of a popsicle stand is qualified, but a businessman is not

Well that's because it's Trump, and Trump is a racist and Trump is a meanie, and Trump is an evil rich white guy and and and and, and Trump kicked my dog, and Trump colluded with the Russians, and Trump looked at me funny, and Trump hates womyn, gays, blacks, yellows, immigrants, purples, blues, pinks, browns, oranges, lavenders, greens, and cinnamon to.
Trump is baaaadddd.... In days past doctors would call the amount of delusion and hysteria a public health crisis. BUT, because the deep state and MSM hate him so much and believe their own lies they don't consider it a public health crises, but a public service. In many ways it's very much like what the Nazi's did to vilify Jews, Gypsy's, Homosexuals, Catholics or anyone else who was an 'enemy'. No we haven't reached the level of violence Nazi Germany saw. BUT, remember that didn't happen over night, it was years of conditioning, media narratives, characterizations and a Media that was more than happy to spread lies, mis info and a carefully constructed narrative to a people who ate it up. Coarse, there is a huge key difference, WE ARE ARMED AND WILL FIGHT SHOULD IT COME DOWN TO IT.

Oki

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users