RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: University to Punish Professor For Showing What a Joke Academia Has Be - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

University to Punish Professor For Showing What a Joke Academia Has Be Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pepperonikkid 

• Trucker
  • Group: Silver

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

University to Punish Professor For Showing What a Joke Academia Has Become

http://www.fixthisnation.com
by Shawn
January 9, 2019

Article:

Last year, it was revealed that Professor Peter Boghossian, Areo editor Helen Pluckrose, and mathematician James Lindsay had embarked on a clever hoax to see if prominent academic journals would publish their nonsense studies promoting identity politics. The goal was to prove that academia's desperate shift to the left has resulted in a lowering of standards to such a degree that the "gatekeepers" will literally release any study whose conclusions support theories of intersectionalism, postmodernism, and other forms of cutting-edge leftist thought.

And boy, did they prove it.

From Reason.com:

Their efforts were worryingly successful. The journal Fat Studies, for instance, published a hoax paper that argued the term bodybuilding was exclusionary and should be replaced with "fat bodybuilding, as a fat-inclusive politicized performance." Another fake, "Our Struggle Is My Struggle: Solidarity Feminism as an Intersectional Reply to Neoliberal and Choice Feminism," was accepted by Affilia, a journal for social workers. The paper consisted in part of a rewritten passage from Mein Kampf.

Two other hoax papers were published, including "Rape Culture and Queer Performativity at Urban Dog Parks." This one caught my eye last June. I mistakenly presumed that it was real: Though many of its conclusions were patently absurd, and the subject—dog-on-dog rape—quite curious, it did not strike me as impossible that a weirdly obsessed and determined researcher could in fact visit dog parks and count the number of canine sexual assaults she witnessed.

The paper on dog sexuality resulted in the hoax ending prematurely; an intrepid Wall Street Journal writer decided that the paper was simply too ridiculous, even for the left, and discovered that Boghossian and his friends were actually submitting fake papers just to see if they would be published.

Full Story

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

LOLOLOL

Maybe I should write a paper titled "One-Legged Korean Lesbian Pole-Dancers Have Higher I.Q.s" or something.

:lol:

#3 User is offline   polkman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

“Your efforts to conduct human subjects research at PSU without a submitted nor approved protocol is a clear violation of the policies of your employer,” wrote McLellan.

They are being punished for not submitting to the IRB? This is absolutely silly. First this was not an official research study. It was a farce to expose lunacy in the academic publishing world. If anything it was a personal experiment for the purpose of social commentary. To pretend this is an official scientific research project is just intellectually dishonest. I wonder if any or all of them are tenured. This could get kinda messy for the university . . .

This reminds me of this side note - I came across this years ago - SCIgen - Academic Paper Generator

The guys who created this actually submitted one of the papers generated from it to a conference and got accepted to present. The content was complete gibberish but they actually developed a full one hour presentation and were going to go anyway. Then they got caught and disinvited.

Here is the sorta story -My link

This post has been edited by polkman: 11 January 2019 - 10:15 PM

#4 User is offline   Martin 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

No one with experience of college employment, or employment by a bureaucracy of practically any type, is going to see this college's sanctions against the researchers as anything but @ss-covering. Most likely, even the administrators in charge of the @ss-covering realize that is what they are doing. But, when your job depends on assuring the Emperor how beautiful his new clothes are, you can't afford to be honest.

#5 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 January 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

LOLOLOL

Maybe I should write a paper titled "One-Legged Korean Lesbian Pole-Dancers Have Higher I.Q.s" or something.

:lol:

Wait, you know where they dance? Help a brother out and tell me! :tongue:

#6 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

View PostSeverian, on 12 January 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

Wait, you know where they dance? Help a brother out and tell me! :tongue:

On heads of pins everywhere, of course!

;)

Share this topic: