RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Cruel and unnecessary': New York set to become first state to ban - RightNation.US

Cruel and unnecessary': New York set to become first state to ban Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

Cruel and unnecessary': New York set to become first state to ban cat declawing

ALBANY Ė The state Legislature voted Tuesday to make New York the first state in the nation to ban cat declawing.

The bill has been scratching its way through the state Capitol for several years but has received increased support this year, and it passed both houses of the Legislature and will now head to Gov. Andrew Cuomo's desk.

The bill's sponsor, Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal, D-Manhattan, called declawing of cats "a cruel and unnecessary surgical procedure that has no place in modern veterinary medicine.Ē

She added, ďIím confident that 2019 is the year New York will become the first state in the nation to ban cat declawing.Ē

https://www.democrat...ban/1337871001/

Thank God. Imagine how they'd jump off the tracks if we wanted to stick a pair of scissors in their little kitty heads while they were being born.

#2 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:31 PM

Is this satire? Very bad taste satire, I should say? So NY democrats are concerned about kitty nails, while they kill babies?

#3 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:59 PM

View Postzurg, on 05 June 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

Is this satire? Very bad taste satire, I should say? So NY democrats are concerned about kitty nails, while they kill babies?

Ironic, I am not for declawing cats, both of mine have claws and neither scratch furniture. I provide them with places to scratch and they do so. But they want cats weaponized, humans disarmed and murdered. Just like a nuanced group of nuts.

#4 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:59 AM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 05 June 2019 - 11:59 PM, said:

Ironic, I am not for declawing cats, both of mine have claws and neither scratch furniture. I provide them with places to scratch and they do so. But they want cats weaponized, humans disarmed and murdered. Just like a nuanced group of nuts.

I don't believe in declawing cats either, nor have I ever done so but the inevitable comparison to aborting unborn infants is absolutely insane.

#5 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:41 AM

Isnít this along the same lines as neutering and spaying your pet?

#6 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

View Posterp, on 06 June 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

Isn't this along the same lines as neutering and spaying your pet?

Not even close.

Declawing a cat is the removal of the last whole knuckle on a digit. It would be equivalent to removing the top inch or so of all of your fingers and toes.

#7 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 06 June 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

Not even close.

Declawing a cat is the removal of the last whole knuckle on a digit. It would be equivalent to removing the top inch or so of all of your fingers and toes.

So not like cutting off my balls?

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 06 June 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

Not even close.

And the declawed kitty is defenseless if it gets outside.

If have scratching post furniture and cardboard contraptions, with catnip rubbed on, to keep them interested in other things but my couch.

#9 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

Meh. Not a cat guy. Personally I'm against cat declawing.

But making it illegal is another example of Leftist insanity.

#10 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:35 AM

View PostLiz, on 06 June 2019 - 01:59 AM, said:

I don't believe in declawing cats either, nor have I ever done so but the inevitable comparison to aborting unborn infants is absolutely insane.

Yeah, donít get me wrong, Iím not *for* this cruelty to cats. Iím just pointing out the typical leftist hypocrisy.

Cats should not be declawed AND babies should not be killed.

#11 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

View Postzurg, on 06 June 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

Yeah, donít get me wrong, Iím not *for* this cruelty to cats. Iím just pointing out the typical leftist hypocrisy.

I had a cat that absolutely would not stop scratching the furniture. She liked the scratching post, she liked the sofa, she liked the chair. I sat with a spray bottle and my living room was wet from squirting her everytime she would scratch my brand new sofa. Errggg!

Anyway, you are correct, the stone cold hypocrisy of not caring about ripping babies out of a motherís womb, but thinking it cruel to declaw cats makes my head spin. I do not have my cats declawed, but it boggles the mind that they think it is important to prevent this ďcruel and unnecessary surgical procedureĒ but are all on board with full term abortion.

#12 User is offline   Novaprime 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostLadybird, on 06 June 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

And the declawed kitty is defenseless if it gets outside.

If have scratching post furniture and cardboard contraptions, with catnip rubbed on, to keep them interested in other things but my couch.

No they are not defenseless. I had 2 cats, Siamese, growing up and they were declawed and there still wasn't a cat, dog, squirrel, or bird that wanted to come anywhere near our yard. I saw Bear, a 16lb male declawed Siamese, climb 3/4 of the way up a power pole after a squirrel and then back down off the pole. Also saw him smack the crap out of a stray that came onto our yard. So, no, they aren't defenseless, it's all attitude, which Bear and Dixie had plenty of.

Edit to add:
Not that I'm for declawing cats, but sometimes it's necessary. Some (most) cats just like doing their own thing, they are the owners aren't they? :whistle:

This post has been edited by Novaprime: 06 June 2019 - 02:06 PM

#13 User is offline   johnnybravo 

• <no title>

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

A cats front claws are for grabbing and holding. Itís the back claws that do the damage. They hold on then kick with their back legs which will rip you open.

#14 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:11 PM

View PostBootsieBets, on 06 June 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

I had a cat that absolutely would not stop scratching the furniture. She liked the scratching post, she liked the sofa, she liked the chair. I sat with a spray bottle and my living room was wet from squirting her everytime she would scratch my brand new sofa. Errggg!

Anyway, you are correct, the stone cold hypocrisy of not caring about ripping babies out of a motherís womb, but thinking it cruel to declaw cats makes my head spin. I do not have my cats declawed, but it boggles the mind that they think it is important to prevent this ďcruel and unnecessary surgical procedureĒ but are all on board with full term abortion.

I spray peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils around furniture I donít want them scratching or jumping up on and it seems to help. Also plain old black pepper sprinkles.

#15 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

However, I still think there is irony in that we chop their balls off without a second thought. And I am in favor of spaying and neutering, BTW. So maybe I'm a bit of a hypocrite, as well.

#16 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostLadybird, on 06 June 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

I spray peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils around furniture I donít want them scratching or jumping up on and it seems to help. Also plain old black pepper sprinkles.

I had tried ďScatĒ which I think had eucalyptus oil in it and it didnít phase her. Funny thing was that when she was a little bitty kitty, I would take her to the scratching post and rub catnip on it and then rub her claws on the post. She loved that and would scratch it for a long time and then look over her shoulder at the chair or the sofa and jump over there and go for it. It was like she was thinking Ė Yea, this post is good, and so is that chair and letís see, what else can I scratch. I tried that routine until she was about 2 and then pretty much gave up on her. She destroyed the chair although she did eventually leave the good sofa alone because I would squirt her with the water bottle and she got the message about the sofa. She was a good cat, though. Had her for 13 years - I miss her still. My current cat is better about not shredding the furniture. :D

#17 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:06 PM

View Posterp, on 06 June 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

However, I still think there is irony in that we chop their balls off without a second thought. And I am in favor of spaying and neutering, BTW. So maybe I'm a bit of a hypocrite, as well.

You have to change the way you think about it. Spay and neutering actually is better for the health of domestic pets Ė unless they are breeding animals. If an animal doesnít breed, they can have problems with cysts or cancer of the reproductive organs. And we donít really need a whole bunch of cats and dogs running around breeding. We have to many strays as it is. So, it is kinder to ďchop them offĒ than let them run the risk of getting cancer or running off and producing a couple of litters of kitties or puppies that may end up unwanted and having to be euthanized.

#18 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:15 PM

Isnít this along the same lines as neutering and spaying your pet?

Bob Barker agrees

#19 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:19 PM

View PostLiz, on 06 June 2019 - 01:59 AM, said:

Thank you

#20 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:21 PM

Isn’t this along the same lines as neutering and spaying your pet?

Are you aware of the procedure? They cut the individual digits back to the first knuckle. Not only does it cut down cats' ability to defend themselves, but it affects their locomotion. Try walking without toes.

View PostBootsieBets, on 06 June 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

You have to change the way you think about it. Spay and neutering actually is better for the health of domestic pets Ė unless they are breeding animals. If an animal doesnít breed, they can have problems with cysts or cancer of the reproductive organs. And we donít really need a whole bunch of cats and dogs running around breeding. We have to many strays as it is. So, it is kinder to ďchop them offĒ than let them run the risk of getting cancer or running off and producing a couple of litters of kitties or puppies that may end up unwanted and having to be euthanized.

+1

:thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 06 June 2019 - 11:20 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users