RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: With women in combat roles, a federal court rules the male-only draft - RightNation.US

With women in combat roles, a federal court rules the male-only draft Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:54 PM

With women in combat roles, a federal court rules the male-only draft unconstitutional
Gregory Korte
USA TODAY
Published 12:59 a.m. ET Feb. 24, 2019 | Updated 1:52 a.m. ET Feb. 24, 2019

<More Equality Here>

A federal judge in Texas has declared that the all-male military draft is unconstitutional, ruling that "the time has passed" for a debate on whether women belong in the military.

The decision deals the biggest legal blow to the Selective Service System since the Supreme Court upheld the draft in 1981. In Rostker v. Goldberg, the court ruled that the male-only draft was "fully justified" because women were ineligible for combat roles.

But U.S. District Judge Gray Miller ruled late Friday that while historical restrictions on women serving in combat "may have justified past discrimination," men and women are now equally able to fight. In 2015, the Pentagon lifted all restrictions for women in military service.

The case was brought by the National Coalition For Men, a men's rights group, and two men who argued the all-male draft was unfair.

Men who fail to register with the Selective Service System at their 18th birthday can be denied public benefits like federal employment and student loans. Women cannot register for Selective Service.

The ruling comes as an 11-member commission is studying the future of the draft, including whether women should be included or whether there should continue to be draft registration at all.

The National Commission on Military, National and Public Service released an interim report last month giving no hints on where it would come down on those issues. But commission chairman Joe Heck told USA TODAY, "I don't think we will remain with the status quo."

More: Should women be required to register for the military draft?

The government had argued that the court should delay its ruling until that commission makes its recommendations. But Miller said Congress has been debating the issue since 1980, and the commission's final report won't come until next year. And because the commission is advisory, there's no guarantee that Congress will act, he said.

Judge Miller said Congress has never fully examined the issue of whether men are physically better able to serve than women. In fact, he noted in a footnote, "the average woman could conceivably be better suited physically for some of today's combat positions than the average man, depending on which skills the position required. Combat roles no longer uniformly require sheer size or muscle."

Quoting the Supreme Court's ruling overturning bans on same-sex marriage, Miller ruled that restrictions based on gender "must substantially serve an important governmental interest today."

(snip)

<More Equality Here>

#2 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

Ooooh. I'l bet the feminists never saw THIS one coming.

#3 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:20 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 24 February 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

Ooooh. I'l bet the feminists never saw THIS one coming.

I was on a Spruance DD when we integrated. There had been women in the Navy forever but now they were assigned to combat ships. The ones who had been in for years were not happy. They didnít sign up to be assigned to combat ships.

#4 User is offline   BARman29 

• Stay resolute.
  • Group: Silver

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:22 PM

Good. With the constant drumbeat for equality from feminists I have supported their right to be drafted!

#5 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:34 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 24 February 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Judge Miller said Congress has never fully examined the issue of whether men are physically better able to serve than women. In fact, he noted in a footnote, "the average woman could conceivably be better suited physically for some of today's combat positions than the average man, depending on which skills the position required. Combat roles no longer uniformly require sheer size or muscle."

Some women better suited than some men? Yes, no doubt about it.

The average women? I'm not persuaded. I'd like to see something more substantial than merely some pipsqueak judge who flunked out of the Merchant Marine Academy saying its "conceivable".

#6 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 24 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

There are plenty of non-combat support roles women could fill. They want total equality, let's get them registered and drafted if need be. Enough of this we demand equality, oh not THAT equality.

#7 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 04:31 PM

Someone needs to tell the femnazis to be careful of what they wish for, they may just get it.

#8 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:55 PM

View PostSeverian, on 24 February 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

There are plenty of non-combat support roles women could fill. They want total equality, let's get them registered and drafted if need be. Enough of this we demand equality, oh not THAT equality.

The trouble with this whole thing is that not all women are feminists who believe there's "no difference" between the sexes besides the plumbing. Some women still prefer being feminine, and nobody has any "right" to draft them into the military.

This goes WAY too far.

:censored: :redhot: :censored: :redhot: :censored:

#9 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 24 February 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

The trouble with this whole thing is that not all women are feminists who believe there's "no difference" between the sexes besides the plumbing. Some women still prefer being feminine, and nobody has any "right" to draft them into the military.

This goes WAY too far.

:censored: :redhot: :censored: :redhot: :censored:

TOTALLY agree. (Though, maybe in going too far, they've lit the radar.)

Had an aunt who DEFINITELY fit the bill. 6'-something, stocky, "large boned", built like the proverbial "Brick----" She'd be the "Helga" in the Hagar the Horrible comics.

But... that's not "average". Indulge me for a moment while I go back to the '70s....

#10 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:30 PM

:popcorn:

#11 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 24 February 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

TOTALLY agree. (Though, maybe in going too far, they've lit the radar.)

Had an aunt who DEFINITELY fit the bill. 6'-something, stocky, "large boned", built like the proverbial "Brick----" She'd be the "Helga" in the Hagar the Horrible comics.

But... that's not "average". Indulge me for a moment while I go back to the '70s....

Great song by a great band.

:2up:

#12 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:56 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 24 February 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

Great song by a great band.

:2up:

There's also another song I wanted to post. "I'm not average". Thought it was J. Geils but can't find it. So I'll post a Todd Rundgren song from the '70s, who contrary to the lyrics DID work his butt off.

#13 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

Equality's a bitch :coffeenpc:

#14 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

15 yrs in tanks, I know a lot of guys that served and never left an office in thier mos. yes everyone should have to register . Donít want women in combat,,, Great hereís a supply or office job. Bigger question shouldnít every refugee have to register then? Every assumption m seeker? You want to run here go to check he front of the line? You donít want to why should we protect and provide for you?

#15 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:12 PM

Gal Gadot.

#16 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:28 PM

View PostSquirrel, on 24 February 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

15 yrs in tanks, I know a lot of guys that served and never left an office in thier mos. yes everyone should have to register . Donít want women in combat,,, Great hereís a supply or office job. Bigger question shouldnít every refugee have to register then? Every assumption m seeker? You want to run here go to check he front of the line? You donít want to why should we protect and provide for you?

Out of curiosity, what kind of tanks? If I may ask. I worked on a system for the Bradley, and on a lot of tank killer things.

#17 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:40 PM

I was on the m1 in 86 and stayed until the a2, they had just phased out the 60ís when I enlisted. My wife still doesnít understand why I compare my army time to ď the Boy Scouts at drinking age with no adult supervision and heavy artillary.Ē. Some of it was bad but that was the fun

#18 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:25 AM

View PostSeverian, on 24 February 2019 - 09:28 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, what kind of tanks? If I may ask. I worked on a system for the Bradley, and on a lot of tank killer things.

You designed them.

View PostSquirrel, on 24 February 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

I was on the m1 in 86 and stayed until the a2, they had just phased out the 60's when I enlisted. My wife still doesn't understand why I compare my army time to " the Boy Scouts at drinking age with no adult supervision and heavy artillary.". Some of it was bad but that was the fun

You drove them.

I blew them up... http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif

#19 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 24 February 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

Gal Gadot.

She may be able to take care of herself in a hand to hand or direct combat, but like most females would she be able to function after 30 plus days with no real shower... at most maybe a wet towel her and there? Or how about weeks without even a change of clothing? People think 'combat' is just the bullets flying and bombs going off, that's only part of it. There is also the lack of hygiene, a proper crapper, etc.

Very few ladies no matter how tough they are or able to fight cannot defeat nature or biology, that being what I listed above. As hard and sad as it is, it's the truth.

Oki

#20 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

View PostSquirrel, on 24 February 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

I was on the m1 in 86 and stayed until the a2, they had just phased out the 60ís when I enlisted. My wife still doesnít understand why I compare my army time to ď the Boy Scouts at drinking age with no adult supervision and heavy artillary.Ē. Some of it was bad but that was the fun

I worked on a prototype combat protection system for the Bradley that was never fielded, but was interesting to work on. Mainly I worked on tank killers, Hellfire, Longbow, Copperhead. I remember one shot against a fairly new M60 tank hulk, live warhead. We went out to look at it, the missile (Hellfire) impacted on a downward slope on the upper side of the turret. The warhead jet exited the tank down right above the road wheels, and penetrated about another 5 or 6 feet in the ground. They dug out the remains, which was the traditional sand coated copper turd as we called them. Made me not want to ever be a tanker when we saw what it did to the insides.

View PostMTP Reggie, on 25 February 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

[/size]

You designed them.

You drove them.

I blew them up... http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif

That video shows the classic demonstration shot, note that the big flaming explosion starts under the tank? When we had Generals and especially CongressCritters for demos, we knew they, especially the civilians, had no idea what an actual military warhead explosion looked like, only the things they saw in Ahnold movies. A shaped charge warhead explosion is not that impressive from afar. So, we always put gasoline cans and such around the tank, missile hits, ignites the gas, huge fireball, everyone goes ooooh and aaaaah and a good impression is made.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users