RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Last real life Great Escape prisoner dies aged 99 - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Last real life Great Escape prisoner dies aged 99 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scotsman 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 17,062
  • Joined: 02-December 03

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:06 PM

BBC News

(excerpt)

'The last surviving member of the real-life Great Escape team has died.

Former squadron leader Dick Churchill was one of 76 airmen whose escape from the Stalag Luft III camp in Nazi Germany in 1944 was immortalised in the Hollywood film starring Steve McQueen.

Mr Churchill, who lived in Crediton, Devon, died on Wednesday, aged 99.

Chief of the Air Staff Sir Stephen Hillier said: "He was from a selfless generation who offered bravery and sacrifice to secure our freedom."

"On behalf of the RAF as a whole I would like to offer my condolences to the friends and family of Flt Lt Richard 'Dick' Churchill, one of the RAF personnel involved in the Great Escape.

"He will be sorely missed. Per Ardua [the RAF motto]."'

https://www.bbc.co.u...-devon-47257570
0

#2 User is offline   scotsman 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 17,062
  • Joined: 02-December 03

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:18 PM

The Great Escape 75 years on: A mass breakout that drove hitler into a fury

Almost 80 men escaped from Stalag Luft III in 1944 in the most ingeniously planned POW operation of the war - but 50 of them paid the ultimate price.


http://www.express.c...out-hitler-fury
0

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 55,136
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:32 PM

RIP Squadron Leader Churchill.

:(

I realize The Great Escape movie took certain liberties with the facts. That's to be expected from Hollywood I suppose. Still, it's one of my favorite films. And just in case there's anybody reading this who has never seen the movie I assure you, it didn't only star Steve McQueen. It was a veritable who's who blockbuster for its day:

Steve McQueen
James Garner
Richard Attenborough
Charles Bronson
Donald Pleasance
James Coburn
David McCallum
Nigel Stock
Gordon Jackson

And no doubt plenty more whose names escape me. (get it? "escape"? LOL)

B)
0

#4 User is offline   Censport 

  • Twitter: @CensportRacing
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 16,095
  • Joined: 13-August 03

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:52 PM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UglyColorfulFlatfish-size_restricted.gif

Great movie about the great courage of great men.

May his memory - and that of his fellows - be eternal.

0

#5 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,155
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:49 PM

View Postscotsman, on 15 February 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

BBC News

(excerpt)

'The last surviving member of the real-life Great Escape team has died.

Former squadron leader Dick Churchill was one of 76 airmen whose escape from the Stalag Luft III camp in Nazi Germany in 1944 was immortalised in the Hollywood film starring Steve McQueen.

Mr Churchill, who lived in Crediton, Devon, died on Wednesday, aged 99.

Chief of the Air Staff Sir Stephen Hillier said: "He was from a selfless generation who offered bravery and sacrifice to secure our freedom."

"On behalf of the RAF as a whole I would like to offer my condolences to the friends and family of Flt Lt Richard 'Dick' Churchill, one of the RAF personnel involved in the Great Escape.

"He will be sorely missed. Per Ardua [the RAF motto]."'

https://www.bbc.co.u...-devon-47257570


RIP Squadron Leader Richard Sidney Albion Churchill. There's more that I have to say about 'The Greatest Generation' but I'm splitting it to a second topic so as not to derail this one.
0

#6 User is offline   Bookdoc 

  • Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 4,925
  • Joined: 07-September 05

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:58 PM

View PostCensport, on 15 February 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UglyColorfulFlatfish-size_restricted.gif

Great movie about the great courage of great men.

May his memory - and that of his fellows - be eternal.


As to courage in the camps, I recommend Reid's "Colditz". It's about the castle the krauts put all of the prisoners who tried to escape as it was "escape-proof". Dumb idea...
0

#7 User is offline   scotsman 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 17,062
  • Joined: 02-December 03

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:44 AM

View PostBookdoc, on 16 February 2019 - 08:58 PM, said:

As to courage in the camps, I recommend Reid's "Colditz". It's about the castle the krauts put all of the prisoners who tried to escape as it was "escape-proof". Dumb idea...


Classic (1954) British film version of that book, with John Mills.
0

#8 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 13,522
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:29 AM

Have the book on my shelf, read it long ago. In the German's minds the idea was to put all the escape prone people in one very secure place. All they accomplished was to put all the most creative and talented Houdini's in one location where they could reinforce each other and share ideas. The stuff they did is mind boggling. Some of it is funny as hell too.
0

#9 User is offline   oki 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 24,661
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:29 PM

Within 20 years all we have left of this generation will be memories. May those(memories) never die and always be thought of with honor and pride. It was people like this man who saved the world.


Oki
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users