RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Parents Are Giving Up Custody of Their Kids to Get Need-Based College - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Parents Are Giving Up Custody of Their Kids to Get Need-Based College Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:48 AM

Parents Are Giving Up Custody of Their Kids to Get Need-Based College Financial Aid
July 29, 4:07 p.m. CDT

Dozens of suburban Chicago families, perhaps many more, have been exploiting a legal loophole to win their children need-based college financial aid and scholarships they would not otherwise receive, court records and interviews show.

Coming months after the national “Varsity Blues” college admissions scandal, this tactic also appears to involve families attempting to gain an advantage in an increasingly competitive and expensive college admissions system.

Parents are giving up legal guardianship of their children during their junior or senior year in high school to someone else — a friend, aunt, cousin or grandparent. The guardianship status then allows the students to declare themselves financially independent of their families so they can qualify for federal, state and university aid, a ProPublica Illinois investigation found.

“It’s a scam,” said Andy Borst, director of undergraduate admissions at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “Wealthy families are manipulating the financial aid process to be eligible for financial aid they would not be otherwise eligible for. They are taking away opportunities from families that really need it.”

Borst said he first became suspicious when a high school counselor from an affluent Chicago suburb called him about a year ago to ask why a particular student had been invited to an orientation program for low-income students. Borst checked the student’s financial aid application and saw she had obtained a legal guardian, making her eligible to qualify for financial aid independently.

The University of Illinois has since identified 14 applicants who did the same: three who just completed their freshman year and 11 who plan to enroll this fall, Borst said.

<snip>

Link

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 30 July 2019 - 08:23 AM

#2 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:17 AM

time to get gummint out of education

#3 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:07 AM

My daughter had a friend who did this and used her school grant to go on an extended cruise with her fiancee. I was not happy.

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:31 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 30 July 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

My daughter had a friend who did this and used her school grant to go on an extended cruise with her fiancee. I was not happy.

I was not eligible for financial aid (that I was aware of), so I worked to pay for tuition. It sucked and was hard, but never occurred to us to steal it from the school or the government, which actually is taking funds away from needy, eligible students.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 30 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

#5 User is offline   Coach 

• Coach
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:12 PM

This is how to destroy the moral fiber of a nation. It's similar to replacing fathers with the government.

#6 User is offline   satellite66 

• No more RHINOs!!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:08 PM

View PostCoach, on 30 July 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

This is how to destroy the moral fiber of a nation. It's similar to replacing fathers with the government.

Johnson started this in the 60s with his Great Society

#7 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:23 PM

View PostLadybird, on 30 July 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

I was not eligible for financial aid (that I was aware of), so I worked to pay for tuition. It sucked and was hard, but never occurred to us to steal it from the school or the government, which actually is taking funds away from needy, eligible students.

Oh, the irony...

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:42 PM

View Postsatellite66, on 30 July 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

Johnson started this in the 60s with his Great Society

Colleges and government grants were offered long before Johnson.

#9 User is offline   ASE 

• You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:17 PM

I had some financial aid. It paid 75% of my tuition costs. I ended up with a BA in Mathematics, and a BS in Computer Science. I thought it was a pretty good deal at the time.

Of course, I was an active duty US Marine at the time, so I had other duties to attend to between courses.

#10 User is offline   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:19 AM

I was talking with a friend and his wife about this. I offered to adopt their two kids when they apply for college. Because I don't have room for the kids I asked if they could let the kids live with them. Now being childless they had two spare bedrooms. I also asked to please look after their former kids while they were staying with them.

#11 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:29 AM

View PostJoe the Pagan, on 01 August 2019 - 01:19 AM, said:

I was talking with a friend and his wife about this. I offered to adopt their two kids when they apply for college. Because I don't have room for the kids I asked if they could let the kids live with them. Now being childless they had two spare bedrooms. I also asked to please look after their former kids while they were staying with them.

Why? Did they do it?

#12 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

View PostLadybird, on 30 July 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

lets not forget the culture that created the situation where people feel they need to defraud, all be it a legal loophole. The cost of tuition has, for years been growing and has gotten completely ridiculous and still doesn't appear to be stopping. And yet, no one in the media or government goes after academia like they do any other industry for price gouging. They don't blame the colleges for student debt, they blame banks, but if banks refused the loans, then they'd be targeted and accused of robbing kids of their futures.

#13 User is offline   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:11 PM

View PostLadybird, on 01 August 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

Why? Did they do it?

Their kids are not old enough to go to college yet. They knew I was joking.

The conversation then went on to what every happened to people like Carnegie or Rockefeller. People who made their money, and were generous with what they earned.

#14 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

Wanna' make college a whole lot cheaper?

1. All schools have to publish data detailing starting, after 1 year 2 year and at least 5 years earnings for each coarse they offer.
Not just their graduates but national averages. Starting, low, median and high. At least by region.

2. Degrees which do not average a starting wage at least a set amount above the national poverty line are gone.

3. There is no damn reason (other than making schools money) that a student has to take coarse's which have absolutely zero relation or association to the degree they are pursuing.
IE what in the hell does arts have to do with Nursing? Some degrees of study sure.

There higher ed will get much cheaper pretty damn quick.

Oki

#15 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:41 PM

View Postoki, on 01 August 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

3. There is no damn reason (other than making schools money) that a student has to take coarse's which have absolutely zero relation or association to the degree they are pursuing.
IE what in the hell does arts have to do with Nursing? Some degrees of study sure.

Oki

It's some of these "required" bull<censored> courses that helps liberal academia indoctrinate students.

#16 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:13 PM

View Postoki, on 01 August 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

Oki

It's called a well rounded education.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users