RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Byrd, Robert - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Byrd, Robert

#1 User is offline   Lisa 

• <<< . >>>
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Site Owner

Posted 20 May 2003 - 08:48 PM

Robert Carlyle Byrd
Senator from West Virginia

http://byrd.senate.gov/rcb_floor.jpg

Byrd has completely gone over the line with his comparison of the Republicans to Adolf Hitler...

"For the temporary gain of a handful of out-of-the-mainstream judges, some in the Senate are ready to callously incinerate each senator's right of extended debate," Byrd said in remarks on the Senate floor."

"Byrd compared the move, not yet undertaken, to Hitler's abuse of power."

"Hitler never abandoned the cloak of legality. He recognized the enormous psychological value of having the law on his side," he said.

Source:
williamstewart.org
foxnews.com
WorldNetDaily

Bush Administration Leading the U.S. into War with Iraq Under False Pretenses
Sen. Robert Byrd, former Grand Kleagle of the Ku Klux Klan, staged a rhetorical cross-burning on the floor of the U.S. Senate, accusing the Bush administration for leading the U.S. into war with Iraq under what he said were false pretenses.

"Regarding the situation in Iraq, it appears to this senator that the American people may have been lured into accepting the unprovoked invasion of a sovereign nation, in violation of long-standing international law, under false premises."

Source:
alternet.org
Senate Floor Speech

"What makes me cringe even more is the continued claim that we are "liberators." The facts don't seem to support the label we have so euphemistically attached to ourselves. True, we have unseated a brutal, despicable despot, but "liberation" implies the follow up of freedom, self-determination and a better life for the common people. In fact, if the situation in Iraq is the result of "liberation," we may have set the cause of freedom back 200 years."

Source:
alternet.org
senate.gov

"The path of diplomacy and reason have gone out the window to be replaced by force, unilateralism, and punishment for transgressions.

"And mark my words, the calculated intimidation which we see so often of late by the "powers that be" will only keep the loyal opposition quiet for just so long. Because eventually, like it always does, the truth will emerge. And when it does, this house of cards, built of deceit, will fall."

Source:
alternet.org
senate.gov

Questions the Administrations credibility less than two months after the Iraq invasion because of WMD intelligence.

We need a thorough, open, gloves-off investigation of this matter and we need it quickly. The credibility of the President and his Administration hangs in the balance. We must not trifle with the people's trust by foot-dragging.

What amazes me is that the President himself is not clamoring for an investigation. It is his integrity that is on the line. It is his truthfulness that is being questioned.

What Democratic members of congress would like us to believe is that the President misled them about the intelligence so they aren't responsible for the way they, or their fellow democrats, voted. However congressional intelligence committees get a copy of all published/finished intelligence information & briefings (either initiated by the intelligence agencies or at the members request). They had been getting information about Iraq's weapons for over a decade.
Source:
Where is the outrage -CounterPunch
Access to Intelligence information for Congress

He didn't want voting on the Iraq Resolution to interfere with the November elections.
Considering the majority of Americans supported going into Iraq at the time, which he opposed, his desire to wait until after the election to vote on the matter seems suspec. From an October 10, 2002 op-ed piece in the NY Times:

Saddam Hussein is a threat, but the threat is not so great that we must be stampeded to provide such authority to this president just weeks before an election.

We must not yield to this absurd pressure to act now, 27 days before an election that will determine the entire membership of the House of Representatives and that of a third of the Senate. Congress should take the time to hear from the American people, to answer their remaining questions and to put the frenzy of ballot-box politics behind us before we vote.

Source:
TruthOut

Less than a year later he criticized the President's landing on the USS Abraham Lincoln as a campaign stunt.
Of course the real problem was that it was well received, and an incredible morale booster for the troops and citizens. The President, who was a pilot in the Texas air National Guard, arriving by jet on a homebound carrier to applause from the crew and his genuine appreciation of our troops and their service was obvious.

"American blood has been shed on foreign soil in defense of the president's policies. This is not some made-for-TV backdrop for a campaign commercial."

Byrd, who has been a persistent and vocal critic of Bush's policies toward Iraq, said a "salute" to America's warriors was appropriate, but he added, "I do question the motives of a desk-bound president who assumes the garb of a warrior for the purposes of a speech."

Source:
CNN

Former Ku Klux Klan Grand Kleagle Remains a Racist
Republicans in West Virginia discovered a letter Sen. Byrd had written to the Imperial Wizard of the KKK in 1946, three years after he says he abandoned the group. He wrote:

"The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia" and "in every state in the Union."

Source:
townhall.com

In another letter written around the same time that was unearthed last year, Byrd vowed never to fight in the military "with a Negro by my side."

"I should rather die a thousand times and see old glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen of the wilds."

Source:
newsmax.com

20 years after Byrd described African-Americans as "race mongrels,"
He spent 14 hours filibustering against the 1964 Civil Rights Act. He also voted against Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas, the only two blacks ever nominated for the U.S. Supreme Court.
The ex-Klansman showed his true colors when asked by Fox News Sunday morning talk show host Tony Snow about the state of race relations in America.

Sen. Byrd warned: "There are white <censored>s. I've seen a lot of white <censored>s in my time. I'm going to use that word. We just need to work together to make our country a better country, and I'd just as soon quit talking about it so much."

Source:
townhall.com

Bush Administration a Threat to American Freedom and Liberties

''I think this administration in several ways constitutes a threat to the freedom and liberties of the American people.''

Source:
usatoday.com

“We flaunt our superpower status with arrogance. We treat U.N. Security Council members like ingrates who offend our princely dignity by lifting their heads from the carpet.”

Source:
commondreams.org

Tax Cuts Meant to "Stimulate Campaign Contributions from Fatcats"

“We hear the cry for stimulus through tax cuts. I say bunk! If all we had to do was to pass massive tax cuts every time the economy began to stumble ... we would have done away with recessions in the last century. ... The only thing these tax cuts will stimulate is campaign contributions from fatcats.”

Source:
byrd.senate.gov

KKK History:
wikipedia.org

Political Party:
Democratic

How to find contact information

Posting content to this topic
1. Read our guidelines for suggesting additions.
2. Check all the messages in this topic for duplication.
3. Understand that this topic is not for conversation, but only for posting of direct information. It's a one-way conversation.
4. Understand that your post may be removed from this topic if we use it. We also reserve the right to edit or remove your post at our discretion.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users