RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Need a New Tablet - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need a New Tablet Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:53 PM

I really need a new, medium priced tablet. I cannot justify paying too much for no more than I would use it. And I really don't like Apple anything. Any ideas? iPad only as a last resort.

#2 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 07 February 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

I really need a new, medium priced tablet. I cannot justify paying too much for no more than I would use it. And I really don't like Apple anything. Any ideas? iPad only as a last resort.

I recently bought a Windows 10 based tablet made by ASUS.

I like it a lot, other than having to disable all of the Windows 10 spyware.

https://www.amazon.c...ds=Asus+tablets

Not the cheapest, but it works good and suits my needs for a tablet.

#3 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:31 PM

Thanks. I will look into it. http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#4 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 07 February 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

Thanks. I will look into it. http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

It may also be worthwhile to just walk into a Best Buy and talk to a Geek Squad dude(ette). My interactions with them are limited, but they do seem to know what's what.

#5 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 07 February 2019 - 08:46 PM, said:

It may also be worthwhile to just walk into a Best Buy and talk to a Geek Squad dude(ette). My interactions with them are limited, but they do seem to know what's what.

I do must of my shopping online. I live in a very small town 3 1/2 hours from anything like a Best Buy, LOL. But maybe I will hold off buying until I get the chance to go to Rapid City's Best Buy.

#6 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:53 AM

iPad is far and away the best option.

#7 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:17 AM

I think the Microsoft Surface has good potential, but jeez they're expensive. A friend tried a lower end Fire tablet and was quite disappointed in performance, it was molasses slow.

Personally I have an iPad Air 2 after using an original iPad. I hate to say it, but Apple has most of this figured out pretty well. The only thing I don't like is I can't access my network drive or printer using it, but other than that it works well, fast, easy to use. I have a couple of apps that only run on iOS so I'm kind of wed to the iPad universe.

Since you live far away from anything like a Best Buy it's hard to compare. Have you checked Walmart to see what you can lay hands on there?

#8 User is online   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:48 AM

If the only thing about iPad putting you off is price, consider Other World Computing macsales dot com They offer great prices on some previously enjoyed mac products, including iPad.

#9 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:01 AM

It comes down to three choices.

Which operating system is wanted/desired for this tablet?

Windows, Mac/Apple, or Android?

#10 User is offline   First Sarge 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:27 AM

I have a iPad Air 2 and use it for most everything, however I also have a Asus Zenpad 10.1 which is very good for reading and watching movies. The Asus is very good, lite and affordable. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A that i am moving to, from the Asus, as it can handle a 400GB mini SD card. So if you want I could sell you the ASUS one for cheap, Had the screen factory replaced, like new in box. just DM me.

Asus Stats

This post has been edited by First Sarge: 08 February 2019 - 09:30 AM

#11 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

View PostFirst Sarge, on 08 February 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

I have a iPad Air 2 and use it for most everything, however I also have a Asus Zenpad 10.1 which is very good for reading and watching movies. The Asus is very good, lite and affordable. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A that i am moving to, from the Asus, as it can handle a 400GB mini SD card. So if you want I could sell you the ASUS one for cheap, Had the screen factory replaced, like new in box. just DM me.

Asus Stats

How do you like your Samsung Galaxy Tab A? I have the Tab E and hate it. It is slow, lags badly. The only good thing is that the battery runs forever (maybe because it just sits on my desk, never used any more). I had the Galaxy Note 8 tablet for a long time and loved it until the battery quit holding a charge. Most of the time I grab it and use it plugged in, but that doesn't help when I want to take it out of the house. I'm on my 3rd Galaxy phone and the tablets are quite a bit like them, so I am used to the setup. I am not even close to a tech in my dreams, so it helps when I can find my way around a new device, lol.

#12 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

Oh, you said need a new TABLET......
Note to self either enlarge the font size or put on glasses before reading...

Oki

#13 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:02 AM

View Postoki, on 08 February 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

Oh, you said need a new TABLET......
Note to self either enlarge the font size or put on glasses before reading...

Oki

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

#14 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 08 February 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

How do you like your Samsung Galaxy Tab A? I have the Tab E and hate it. It is slow, lags badly. The only good thing is that the battery runs forever (maybe because it just sits on my desk, never used any more). I had the Galaxy Note 8 tablet for a long time and loved it until the battery quit holding a charge. Most of the time I grab it and use it plugged in, but that doesn't help when I want to take it out of the house. I'm on my 3rd Galaxy phone and the tablets are quite a bit like them, so I am used to the setup. I am not even close to a tech in my dreams, so it helps when I can find my way around a new device, lol.

All of those are Android operating systems.

#15 User is offline   First Sarge 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 08 February 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

I like it as it is fast and the 400GB you can add is really impressive. I mostly use it for reading (old comics, manga and books) with the ComicRack app and movies with the Archos Video app. It also holds all of my 3D printing files as it hooks up to my printers via WiFi. Battery life is very good.

#16 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 07 February 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

I'm a bit late to the table, but having owned a number of tablets over the last few years, I'll add my 2c worth.

"medium priced"? I take that to mean not top-end but not the sub-$100 no-name tablets either.

7" HP Stream 7. My first actual tablet, aside from a Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ e-reader. Android. Too small, not really enough memory or storage.

10" Lenovo MiiX 2. Windows 8.1 then Windows 10. Intigued by the fact it had a detachable keyboard. But... god-awful slow. Almost unusably slow.

8" Lenovo Tab2 A8. Android. Decent performance. I use it as a GPS in my Jeep, replacing a 5" Magellan GPS; I wanted a screen I could actually see.

8" Samsung Galaxy Tab A "Barnes & Noble Nook edition". Replacement for my older Nook HD+. Seems Decent, but I've never used it except as a Nook reader.

10" HP "mini" 5103. A "NetBook" rather a Tablet, but with the same Intel Atom CPU as similar tablets. Windows 10.

Overall? My experience is that at the medium-to-low price such as the above, Android GREATLY outperforms Windows 10.... but the difference disappears the higher you get. I DO have ONE "tablet" that I'm extremely satisfied with windows 10 on - in fact it's my daily-use PC - An 11" Panasonic ToughBook CF-C2 "convertible" Tablet/Notebook, but that's at the extreme upper-end of tablets and was originally around $1,700 as I recall. I'm just not satisfied with Win10 on the medium/low-end machines.

#17 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

Thanks all. Gives me some places to start looking. And yes, medium price means not high end or no name sub $100. I don't use one enough to justify top end, but I do use it enough that I want more than a paper weight. I have a starting point for looking now.

#18 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:29 AM

Not a big tablet fan, but I do really like my Galaxy Tab A. :thumbsup:

A bit pricier, but I also have the Microsoft Surface Pro 4... but I almost never use it, and have never used it as a tablet. :shrug:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users