RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: A Tow Truck Driver Repossessed an NYPD Officer's Car - RightNation.US

A Tow Truck Driver Repossessed an NYPD Officer's Car Then, He Ended up in Handcuffs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

A Tow Truck Driver Repossessed an NYPD Officer's Car. Then, He Ended up in Handcuffs.
By Amanda Farinacci
PUBLISHED 8:02 PM ET Jun. 07, 2019 UPDATED 11:26 PM ET Jun. 07, 2019
NY1

<More Here>

Jose Rodriguez has been a repo man for three years.

"It gets crazy sometimes," he said.

But he said he experienced nothing as crazy as what happened May 30, when he was driving near the 120th Precinct stationhouse and came across a Nissan Maxima wanted by the bank because of three missed payments.

He said he logged the Maxima into his tracking system, lifted it onto his tow truck and was about to walk into the stationhouse to notify police when a green pickup pulled in front of him.

"I was stopped by one officer over there, saying, 'Hey, that's a police officer's car,' with a police sergeant that was off-duty that I didn't know ó with him completely blocking me in. He told me, what I'm doing? 'You got to drop the car,'" Rodriguez recalled, standing near the scene of the incident.

Rodriguez said the Nissan's owner showed up, offering to make his back payments.

But the repo man said he told them it wasn't that easy: once a car is on the tow truck and logged in, it's the bank's property.

Rodriguez said police then surrounded him, accused him of auto theft, and arrested him for possession of stolen property ó a felony.Rodriguez said police then surrounded him, accused him of auto theft, and arrested him for possession of stolen property ó a felony.

"This is totally wrong. This should have never happened," said Rodriguez's boss, Anthony Destefano.

Rodriguez said one officer reached into his truck to take his surveillance cameras, but not before one of the cameras snapped a photo. The officer's hand and face can be seen in the background. Rodriguez says he has the image because the camera immediately sent it to the cloud.

The repo man said the officers removed the Nissan from his tow truck, drove it away, and took him into custody, where he spent more than 20 hours in jail.

"This is a repossession, a legal repossession, from the banks, with a court order," Destefano said.

When he appeared in court, the felony charge disappeared, replaced by misdemeanor charges of falsifying documents and possession of police scanners, allegations he denies.

But his truck has still not been released. It was still sitting on Richmond Terrace, immobilized by a boot, eight days after the May 30 incident. And he's still waiting for the return of everything taken from him, including his phone, laptop, iPad, and cameras.

(snip)

<More Here>

#2 User is offline   RIPUSA 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

I've said it before, I'll say it again; cops are nothing but a glorified street gang.

#3 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:15 AM

View PostRIPUSA, on 09 June 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again; cops are nothing but a glorified street gang.

Hold on now, NOT ALL COPS act like these idiots. Most of us do the right things day in and day out. This by the way is false arrest, and I hope the IA does the proper thing and investigates it. The statement by the cop saying he would make his back payments is enough. Don't slander the rest of us with this group of idiots decisions.

#4 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

View PostRIPUSA, on 09 June 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

Pretty broad brush youíre painting with, donít you think? Tag here has posted a lot of experiences over the years, and he doesnít fall into the category youíve described. Iíd like to think that most cops donít.

#5 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 09 June 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

The statement by the cop saying he would make his back payments is enough.

Every deadbeat says that when their vehicle has already been lifted.

#6 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:00 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 09 June 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

Every deadbeat says that when their vehicle has already been lifted.

I would agree, this guy uses his position to gain from it. Hell I hate taking a 10% discount for food when patrolling. Its all about appearances so people can't paint broad brush strokes like done here. Problem is cops get paid crap when compared to the risk they put out there, but so do Soldiers so meh.

#7 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:29 AM

Every one of those officers involved with this deserve to be suspended without pay and/or fired.

They clearly broke the law, lied and abused their authority.

It happens more often than most people will ever know, especially in the big cities.

#8 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:06 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 09 June 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

I would agree, this guy uses his position to gain from it. Hell I hate taking a 10% discount for food when patrolling. Its all about appearances so people can't paint broad brush strokes like done here. Problem is cops get paid crap when compared to the risk they put out there, but so do Soldiers so meh.

True story. I was opening a new fast feeder and I always stopped at local police headquarters to introduce myself and give contact info in case of a break-in or something like that. As the store was on a main highway, I also stopped in at the State Patrol HQ. They took the info and I asked the captain about discounted food for troopers (company policy for officers at that time). He appreciated my asking and told me that it embarrassed the officers as they were not allowed to accept. My crew was trained accordingly and my estimation for State Troopers went up! :2cents:

#9 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

Every single police officer involved in this should lose their job. And be charged with wrongful arrest.

#10 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:58 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 09 June 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

True story. I was opening a new fast feeder and I always stopped at local police headquarters to introduce myself and give contact info in case of a break-in or something like that. As the store was on a main highway, I also stopped in at the State Patrol HQ. They took the info and I asked the captain about discounted food for troopers (company policy for officers at that time). He appreciated my asking and told me that it embarrassed the officers as they were not allowed to accept. My crew was trained accordingly and my estimation for State Troopers went up! :2cents:

I can tell you from experience, I appreciate the gesture but wish businesses did not try to pay for cops meals or discount them. One, because I signed up for the job and expect nothing more than my pay ( plus it embarrasses me). Two, we already get a bad rap from people, and some folks see this and assume we expect it. Three, citizens that pay for my meal before I can, only cause me to pick up someone elseís tab at some point. I can also say that the citizens of the community I work for make my job worthwhile every day. I canít leave the station without getting a thank you for what I do. For me, that is worth being bought or discounted a hundred meals.

More on point, those chumps need to be suspended at the minimum. Another case of thousands of cops doing right, and some idiots flushing all that work down the drain 😡

#11 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:03 PM

View PostConfessor, on 09 June 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

I can tell you from experience, I appreciate the gesture but wish businesses did not try to pay for cops meals or discount them. One, because I signed up for the job and expect nothing more than my pay ( plus it embarrasses me). Two, we already get a bad rap from people, and some folks see this and assume we expect it. Three, citizens that pay for my meal before I can, only cause me to pick up someone elseís tab at some point. I can also say that the citizens of the community I work for make my job worthwhile every day. I canít leave the station without getting a thank you for what I do. For me, that is worth being bought or discounted a hundred meals.

More on point, those chumps need to be suspended at the minimum. Another case of thousands of cops doing right, and some idiots flushing all that work down the drain 😡

Hopefully (Iím guessing likely) thereís pressure from inside that station to hold those officers culpable.

#12 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:07 PM

View Postzurg, on 09 June 2019 - 06:03 PM, said:

Hopefully (Iím guessing likely) thereís pressure from inside that station to hold those officers culpable.

Fat chance.

#13 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:12 PM

View PostLadybird, on 09 June 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

Fat chance.

How do you know this? Because itís NYC?

#14 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:19 PM

Iíve never had a bad experience with a police officer when Iíve been polite. Weather the officer is black, white, Mexican or purple. Granted getting one dwi in my life was a bad experience for me. But I deserved it the interaction with the officer was fine. I get pulled over for anything I say yes sir, no sir, etc. the dwi 20 yrs ago I got out of the car stood at parade rest and said yes sir, no sir and answered honestly. 15 yrs army in 4 states and over seas I was stopped by a few for speeding etc. I canít think of one that was out to just be an azz. I respect the hell out of them doing that job for that pay. Not too many people would.

#15 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:33 PM

View PostSquirrel, on 09 June 2019 - 06:19 PM, said:

Iíve never had a bad experience with a police officer when Iíve been polite. Weather the officer is black, white, Mexican or purple. Granted getting one dwi in my life was a bad experience for me. But I deserved it the interaction with the officer was fine. I get pulled over for anything I say yes sir, no sir, etc. the dwi 20 yrs ago I got out of the car stood at parade rest and said yes sir, no sir and answered honestly. 15 yrs army in 4 states and over seas I was stopped by a few for speeding etc. I canít think of one that was out to just be an azz. I respect the hell out of them doing that job for that pay. Not too many people would.

Agreed=I also remember small town cops being helpful when I was hitchhiking in my college years-one even put me up in the jail overnight and his wife brought breakfast and he drove me 8 miles to a better road. Yes, I have gotten tickets and am always respectful. My brother was a trooper and told me how to behave. He, unfortunately, left it after he had to shoot a guy and then his marriage broke up. It's a tough job and I could not do it.

#16 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

View Postzurg, on 09 June 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

How do you know this? Because itís NYC?

Why do I feel this way, which is what "fat chance" means?

Observation. And no, not just the NYPD.

#17 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:10 PM

View PostLadybird, on 09 June 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

Iím trying to understand if itís a more general ďlots of cops are like thatĒ or ďlots of cops in NY are like thatĒ or ďlots of cops anywhere will cover up for their police buddiesĒ or .... something else.

#18 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

View PostLadybird, on 09 June 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

Believe half of what you see and nothing you hear.

#19 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

I have tremendous respect for the police but hey, this is Staten Island. :P I grew up there and this comes as no surprise. And yes, not everyone there is a jerk.

#20 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:09 PM

View PostLadybird, on 09 June 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

Fat chance.

True, Eric Garner was not available for comment.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users