RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Samoan measles emergency is a warning to anti-vaxxers - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Samoan measles emergency is a warning to anti-vaxxers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:09 PM

Samoan measles emergency is a warning to anti-vaxxers, experts say
THURSDAY 21 NOVEMBER 2019 5:54PM
ABC.net.AU

<More Here>

Deserted streets, queues outside Red Cross tents, health workers in face masks, and hospitals of infected children Samoa is a warning about what happens when not enough people get vaccinated, experts say. The island country of 200,000 people declared a state of emergency on the weekend, closing all schools and cracking down on public gatherings, after several deaths linked to a measles outbreak. In the capital of Apia, the Samoan Red Cross has set up one of 20 vaccination sites outside its headquarters. Speaking from his office, the organisation's Secretary General Namulauulu Tautala Mauala described the street below.

"We hardly see any people around, no meetings, no events, even for the activities we used to provide for our communities ... there's nothing going on. There's hardly any usual movement of our people around." In the hospitals, she says, "It's not a good scene."

"They're very sick and we also have to be careful ensuring we won't be the agent to spread whatever we can catch from there."

Measles is a highly infectious airborne disease that spreads easily through breathing, coughing and sneezing. About one in 1000 cases are fatal. Before mass immunisation programs began 50 years ago, it caused thousands of deaths in Australia every few years. In Samoa, at least 16 people have died and there are more than 1000 suspected cases.

Announcing the 30-day emergency on Sunday, the country's director general of health said a major cause of the outbreak was low immunisation coverage. The Red Cross's Tala Mauala agrees. In two days, its health workers have vaccinated 4,000 people, and aim to reach a total of 90,000 by the end of the emergency period.

"Now they are aware of the importance of being vaccinated," she says. "They are actually bringing in their children."

30 per cent rise in measles globally

(snip)

<More Here>

This post has been edited by MTP Reggie: 04 December 2019 - 03:30 PM

#2 User is online   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

I had German measles when I was a kid and nearly die. Ten thousand plus measles death is just what the anti-vaxxers need to remove head from butt.

#3 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:40 PM

View Posttailgunner, on 04 December 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

I had German measles when I was a kid and nearly die. Ten thousand plus measles death is just what the anti-vaxxers need to remove head from butt.

:bs:

The flu kills far more people than the measles.

Flu shots don't work either.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 04 December 2019 - 04:41 PM

#4 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:03 PM

View PostRock N, on 04 December 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

Flu shots DO work. I've gotten the 2019 one. For AT LEAST A week later it had effects: Lethargy/Lack of energy being a prime one. For at least a week or so. Yeah, Okay, at least I haven't gotten the "Flu"

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 04 December 2019 - 05:03 PM

#5 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:04 PM

Flu shots work.

Don't believe me? Here is actual scientific research that says it does.

And it's not from such intellectual luminaries such as Jenny McCarthy or Jim Carey.

And the reason that the flu kills more people, is that measles has been greatly reduced because the US has had a long history of vaccinating for it. Influenza isn't a single type of virus. It's multiple. So the creation of a vaccination 'cocktail' is an imperfect process. But it is better than not getting vaccinated at all. Especially the immune-compromised, such as the elderly.

It's also why we don't have Polio, Rubella, Hib, Whooping Cough, Pneumococcal Disease, Rotavirus, Mumps, Diphtheria, et al.

#6 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:15 PM

View PostTikk, on 04 December 2019 - 05:04 PM, said:

Flu shots work.

Don't believe me? Here is actual scientific research that says it does.

And it's not from such intellectual luminaries such as Jenny McCarthy or Jim Carey.

And the reason that the flu kills more people, is that measles has been greatly reduced because the US has had a long history of vaccinating for it. Influenza isn't a single type of virus. It's multiple. So the creation of a vaccination 'cocktail' is an imperfect process. But it is better than not getting vaccinated at all. Especially the immune-compromised, such as the elderly.

It's also why we don't have Polio, Rubella, Hib, Whooping Cough, Pneumococcal Disease, Rotavirus, Mumps, Diphtheria, et al.

YES, Flue shots works. EVERYone should get one.

My only caution is that the 2019 one WILL knock you on your butt... for a while. But it's still "worth it". (Or maybe it's age, I'm pushin' 60 here)

#7 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

Just got my (mandatory for work) flu shot a couple weeks ago. No side effects that I could tell. A few weeks shy of 52 here. I've only ever had one reaction to a vaccination before, though. My upper arm swelled up a little and reddened a bit with one of our Anthrax boosters. Nothing severe.

#8 User is offline   Hercules 

• <no title>
  • Group: Gold

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:18 PM

View Posttailgunner, on 04 December 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

Yup! I was 14 and it was the worst health problem I have had. Ever!

#9 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:27 PM

I am in no way an anti-vaxxer. However, Up until 3 years ago I was a car sales manager. The company provided flu shots and managers were "strongly encouraged" to get flu shots as an example. I did and got the flu every year. Since I retired and work part time at a bank I have not gotten a flu shot. I have not had the flu since I retired.
Being that influenza is a disease caused by multiple viruses the shot is a crapshoot. I understand the newest vaccine was for viruses from the southern hemisphere so I am not missing much. BTW-our bank manager was quite proud he got the shot in September. He missed 5 days with the flu last month... :2cents:

#10 User is online   tailgunner 

• <no title>

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

I don't believe there was a vaccine for Germany measles when I had them in 1962. I also had mumps and chicken pox. I was spared polio for some unknown reasons. Wonder if that vaccine I received had anything to do with it?

I was pushing a fever of 104, deleterious. Doctor's did house calls in those days and was at my home three days in a row. The fever broke on the forth day. Would have been hospitalized if it hadn't.

This post has been edited by tailgunner: 04 December 2019 - 07:24 PM

#11 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

Well this is a truth is more to the middle about vaccines in general.
Like everything there is some risk and known side effects, do the risks and possible side effects no matter how minute ALWAYS pail in comparison to the disease?
Well, that's a damn good question which often is overlooked.

Case in point this whole Guardisill debacle as being the end all prevention of HPV. Well, first off HPV happens primarily through sex. 2nd, the risk of developing HPV which can lead to Cervical cancer is also small. 3rd, there are numerous forms of HPV and last I looked Guardisill doesn't protect against all of them. FOURTH, and this is the big one there have been a number of cases of people vaccinated developing Guillian Bare Syndrome. As having gone through GBS it is fast moving, typically devastating, and even if caught in time often has life changing consequences.
In short your often better of taking your chances with the HPV. The 'study' I read was so damned cooked it was easy for me to debunk fifty ways from Friday and explain how they skewered the numbers.
It does increase the likelihood of a person developing G.B.S. Does that mean it's the vaccine itself vs something else such as a preservative? Hard to say.
What I can say is that there could be some truth to the whole vaccines-autism claim. Why? Because a number of vaccines DID or might still contain Thymerisol. What is it? It's a mercury derivative used to extend shelf life of various vaccines. And, what have we been told about Mercury, ESPECIALLY SMALL KIDS? Any amount can be dangerous, and here we are injecting even a tiny amount straight into a child's body. Does this mean vaccines are bad? No, it just means the claims of protection can be overblown, know the risks and side effects, and make sure you know what is being put into yours or your child's bodies. Also, I can't receive a flu shot. Why? I had Guillian Bare Syndrome a few years back, so... when I saw the Guardasill ads STATING G.B.S. as a rare but know side effect I said hell no to my girls getting it. Then I looked up the so called study about the link and saw the cooking of the numbers.

In no uncertain terms Big Pharma has saved not only my ass but numerous other family members. BUT, at the same time they are out to make a profit and do exaggerate effectiveness as well as downplay side effects and issues. Again, doesn't mean shots don't work, just that you need to do your homework first and then make an informed decision. When it came time for the kids shots then and know we make sure of the ingredients.

#12 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:43 PM

View Posttailgunner, on 04 December 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

I don't believe there was a vaccine for Germany measles when I had them in 1962. I also had mumps and chicken pox. I was spared polio for some unknown reasons. Wonder if that vaccine I received had anything to do with it?

I was pushing a fever of 104, deleterious. Doctor's did house calls in those days and was at my home three days in a row. The fever broke on the forth day. Would have been hospitalized if it hadn't.

b. 1960. I'm old enough to remember when doctors did house calls. Ole "Doc Q------" in east Toledo OH, and I can remember my dad arguing over a $20 bill for "tonsillitis" on my part when I was about 5 or 6.

The $20??? It wasn't just my dad's "share" of it after insurance; it was the ENTIRE bill. Back in the '60s when $20 really meant something.

Man, those were the days. I'd like to see US - the USA go back to that -. "Insurance" was exactly what the name implied - for fortuities (unfortunate happenstances), not everyday stuff. It was called "Major Medical" or "Hospitalization" back then. Anything less got paid out of pocket.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users