RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: ‘Go back to California’: Wave of newcomers fuels backlash in Boise - RightNation.US

‘Go back to California’: Wave of newcomers fuels backlash in Boise Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:27 AM

'Go back to California': Wave of newcomers fuels backlash in Boise
By MARIA L. LAGANGA STAFF WRITER
NOV. 10, 2019 4 AM
LA Times

<More Message To All democrats Anywhere Here>

BOISE, Idaho — This city sure knows how to roll up the welcome mat — that is, if you happen to move here from California.
Just consider last week's mayoral election. It was the most competitive race in recent memory, a referendum on growth in the rapidly expanding capital of Idaho. And candidate Wayne Richey ran on a very simple platform: Stop the California invasion.

His basic plan to fulfill that campaign promise? "Trash the place."

Richey figured that would be the best way to keep deep-pocketed Golden Staters from moving to his leafy hometown. He blames them for pushing home prices and rents up so high that Boiseans can't afford to live here on the meager wages most Idaho jobs pay.

At a candidate forum in late October, he had a terse answer for the question: "If you were king or queen for the day, what one thing would you do to improve Boise?"

"A $26-billion wall," he said, laughing, drawing out each word for maximum emphasis. As in build one. Around Idaho.

California bashing is a cyclical sport with a long history in the heart of Idaho's Treasure Valley. Growth spurts have more than doubled Boise's population since the 1980 census. Four months before federal counters hit the streets here that year, a Washington Post headline crowed, "To Most Idahoans, A Plague of Locusts Is Californians."

In this current wave, California concerns have made their way into a heated mayor's race. They have taken up residence on Nextdoor social networks.

And they erupted into a recent tweet storm that swirled around two beloved institutions, Boise State University and football. The electronic uproar caused residents all the way up to Mayor David Bieter to defend their city's welcoming nature and insist that they like Californians, really they do, despite evidence to the contrary.

The Twitter squall started in late September, when former Boise State University football player Tyler Rausa went out to his car one day. There he found a professionally printed card, white with an elegant charcoal gray and gold border. It had a nicely centered, two-line message in all capital letters.

GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA

WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE

He posted it online with a very short response: "Hmmmm didn't think I'd ever find this on my car in Boise. #ThankYou."

(snip)

<More Message To All democrats Anywhere Here>

#2 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:47 AM

It's not a democrat or republican thing. It's an economic thing. Out of Staters (Californians most notably) are seeing, "wow. Homes and apartments are so much cheaper here." And they are raising the prices so that Idahoans can't afford to live in their own State. One of my daughters taught school in Boise. A (republican) politician decided to balance the deficit by cutting all the teachers wages. Every year her pay went down and her medical went up. She lost her house. And now teaches out the the US. (She has become very liberal, politically after this. And I can't blame her.)

#3 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:29 AM

I feel for them in Idaho.

I wouldn't want them (the progtarded ones) here in my state either.

As was said, they're a plague of mindless locusts that consume everything and spread their disease.

#4 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

Simple, walk around with an AR15 on one shoulder and a Bible in hand. Get enough people doing this and Cali Lefty's will damn near think it's a leper colony.

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

Well I know of one ex-Californian who recently moved to Idaho, and I'm confident she isn't one of those Cali transplants who's going to ruin the place.

B)

#6 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:58 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 November 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

Well I know of one ex-Californian who recently moved to Idaho, and I'm confident she isn't one of those Cali transplants who's going to ruin the place.

B)

My brother just bought a place in Idaho and is planning on selling his place in CA. He is very conservative and votes that way. His move is due to high prices and liberal policies in the state he's ready to leave. He definitely will not be bringing lefty ideas to Idaho. It is too bad way too many leftists do invade other states and take their insanity with them.

#7 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 11 November 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

My brother just bought a place in Idaho and is planning on selling his place in CA. He is very conservative and votes that way. His move is due to high prices and liberal policies in the state he's ready to leave. He definitely will not be bringing lefty ideas to Idaho. It is too bad way too many leftists do invade other states and take their insanity with them.

For both you and Monty, it is not only leftist thought processes. When you come from a place where a flea ridden bungalow can command a million or more, they spend on housing at a rate native Idahoans can’t and drive up prices for everyone. The increase in prices drives up the property taxes which taxes some people right out of their own homes.

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:26 PM

Sounds eerily similar to the complaints of urban dwellers and business owners, who are getting priced out of their own neighborhoods.

#9 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:30 PM

locusts

#10 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:50 PM

View PostJerryL, on 11 November 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

For both you and Monty, it is not only leftist thought processes. When you come from a place where a flea ridden bungalow can command a million or more, they spend on housing at a rate native Idahoans can’t and drive up prices for everyone. The increase in prices drives up the property taxes which taxes some people right out of their own homes.

Yup, you're right. Same thing happened to my Mom living in the house I grew up in. Seattle's been experiencing "Californication" for decades.

<_<

#11 User is online   Timothy 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:57 PM

If it's anything like Austin the people complaining the most about "Californians" are generally the same people fighting tooth amd nail against allowing new housing to be built. It's emotional not rational or even based in facts. Californians only account for about 8% of the people moving to Austin.

This post has been edited by Timothy: 11 November 2019 - 01:57 PM

#12 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:01 PM

During the Great Depression, the California Highway Patrol was enlisted to keep people with Oklahoma license plates out. They didn't want Okies taking away jobs from Californians. During World War II, California didn't view the internment of Japanese-Americans as racist. It was a jobs program for Californians. What goes around...

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

View PostTimothy, on 11 November 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

If it's anything like Austin the people complaining the most about "Californians" are generally the same people fighting tooth amd nail against allowing new housing to be built. It's emotional not rational or even based in facts. Californians only account for about 8% of the people moving to Austin.

For the record - Thank God most of the rest of Texas isn't anything like Austin.

B)

#14 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

You are a high density, low cost housing guy, right. The people coming in from Cali and other areas with higher costs of living don’t want that. And, with them jacking up prices, by the time you get your cubes built they won’t be affordable either.

View PostMontyPython, on 11 November 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

For the record - Thank God most of the rest of Texas isn't anything like Austin.

B)

Most of the rest of the country. Thank God!

#15 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

The problem isn't with people moving in, it's with THE PEOPLE who are moving in. Namely the practices, views, and beliefs they bring in.
You may think it's all good, where all Americans, there is room for everyone, what's the difference. BUT, I guarantee you that if I became your next door neighbor, invited my in laws to come on in and re enact Japanese Samurai movies in the back yard every weekend with correct music through a loud stereo and Katana's you'd have a problem.
When my in laws said, he we like it here and invited the rest of the family to stay and they started buying up homes(driving prices and rent up), you'd probably have a problem.
ESPECIALLY if you where on a fixed income or a renter who saw their rent go shooting through the roof.

Hell, in a similar situation we are seeing tons of 'Chicago Refugees' moving to Green Bay and in Particular Door County. Although we haven't seen the real estate spike in G.B. it has been happening in the north east corner of the state(Wisconsin's Thumb). And, as having co workers who live there it is causing a definite change.

#16 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 11 November 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

During the Great Depression, the California Highway Patrol was enlisted to keep people with Oklahoma license plates out. They didn't want Okies taking away jobs from Californians. During World War II, California didn't view the internment of Japanese-Americans as racist. It was a jobs program for Californians. What goes around...

People tend to forget that Hawaii had a number of camps as well. Coarse, ethnic Germans and Italians where also interned as well. Just not in near the same numbers, and since it doesn't fit the nice little Racism profile the same people can't be bothered to bring this factoid up.

Funny, in a way this was very 'North Korean' of our esteemed Democrat President to do. Granted most people do not know the full picture of why the internment of Japanese even 2nd and 3rd Generation happened, but German and Italian? Other than Hitler and Mussolini raising hell on the other side of the world they had not attacked U.S. interests, bases or the like. Just saying that this fact really blows apart that it was all about race/racism.

#17 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 November 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

B)

Well, that particular ex-pat has a level enough head she'd be welcome down here in Dixie where I live as well. Would only make the place better.

#18 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:30 PM

View PostSeverian, on 11 November 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

Well, that particular ex-pat has a level enough head she'd be welcome down here in Dixie where I live as well. Would only make the place better.

:yes:

#19 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

View PostSeverian, on 11 November 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gifhttp://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/usa.gif

#20 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:09 PM

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Y'all should be careful what you wish for. I might show up on your doorstep!!!

And you're also welcome to show up on mine, any time!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users