RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Shock Study: Quarter Of Children 6 And Under Own A Smartphone - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shock Study: Quarter Of Children 6 And Under Own A Smartphone Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:43 PM

Shock Study: Quarter Of Children 6 And Under Own A Smartphone

Study Find
21 April 2018

Excerpt:

LONDON — How young is too young when it comes to owning a smartphone? Believe it or not, according to a new study, a quarter of children six and under actually own a mobile device.

Researchers with musicMagpie, a company that helps people declutter by selling their unwanted electronics online, conducted the study after they noted a 300% increase year-over-year in customers who were buying first-time phones for their children. A third of parents made the purchase simply because their kids asked, while one in five bought it to keep the little ones entertained.

Though the study didn’t indicate how many parents were surveyed, the results showed that most agreed 11 was the “ideal” age for children to receive their first smartphone. Nonetheless, the stunning findings showed 25% of parents purchased devices for children six and under. What’s worse, nearly half of those kids spent as much as 21 hours per week on the devices.

“The age at which children get their first phones, has got even younger, and while many agree that there’s no defined age to give a child a phone, there’s a lot parents can do to ensure their child’s day-to-day life isn’t consumed by one,” says musicMagpie spokesman Liam Howley in a press release.

Clearly, parents being more proactive with their children when it comes to screen time would be a good start for help. Eight in 10 parents surveyed said they don’t limit the amount of time their kids can use their smartphones.

*snip*

Full Story

#2 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

6YO with a smartphone?

I'm opposed. As an 'Adult', I'm (ahem) well aware of things that can be seen on a smartphone. This is NOT where 6 YOs should be.

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:05 PM

I'm such a luddite that I figure my opinion here isn't really worth much. I mean, I wouldn't own a "smartphone" anyway, and never have. So if I get all preachy about how "wrong" it is to give such a device to a young kid, I'd expect responses like "What do YOU know about it, Gramps?"

:confused:

But for the record - Yes, I think 6 yrs old is WAY too young to have a "smartphone".

:no:

#4 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:22 AM

It only goes to show that many adults/parents out there are idiots. :nuts:

#5 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:24 AM

Music Magpie.

Good company. Buy and sell to/from them.

#6 User is offline   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

View Postscotsman, on 24 April 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

Music Magpie.

Good company. Buy and sell to/from them.

You think this is where they're getting their phones?

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:45 AM

$700 - $1000 phone for a kid to leave on the bus or drop in the mud? Crazy.

The little ones in my family do not own phones, but they know the functionality of each type inside and out. Even the toddlers.

#8 User is online   Mrdirt73 

• Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

My two year old has an Eye phone.

#9 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:18 AM

I could see attaching some kind of phone or tracking device to your childs clothing if they walk home alone every day (I did as a child, complete with key around my neck), or for a special needs person. They could use it to call in emergencies.
A local teen boy with autism went missing up my way, and unfortunately later was found to have drowned in a river. This technology could save others, as well as elderly folks with dementia.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 24 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

#10 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

View PostLadybird, on 24 April 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

I could see attaching some kind of phone or tracking device to your childs clothing if they walk home alone every day (I did as a child, complete with key around my neck), or for a special needs person. They could use it to call in emergencies.
A local teen boy with autism went missing up my way, and unfortunately later was found to have drowned in a river. This technology could save others, as well as elderly folks with dementia.

Not when we have some lazy inept "first responders" in some areas that cannot even find a 16 year old trapped under a folding seat in a van after calling 911 on his cell phone twice and the officer looking at the vehicle twice and finding nothing? :no:

Just like how the Broward country deputies didn't do jack shidt to stop a repeated threatening mental case from gunning down kids at Parkland.

#11 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostRock N, on 24 April 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

Not when we have some lazy inept "first responders" in some areas that cannot even find a 16 year old trapped under a folding seat in a van after calling 911 on his cell phone twice and the officer looking at the vehicle twice and finding nothing? :no:

Just like how the Broward country deputies didn't do jack shidt to stop a repeated threatening mental case from gunning down kids at Parkland.

I won’t disagree with you, but it still might give the person a fighting chance if it’s not just the police searching for the signal.

Poor kid would have been better off calling a friend or his family.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 25 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

#12 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 23 April 2018 - 11:05 PM, said:

I'm such a luddite that I figure my opinion here isn't really worth much. I mean, I wouldn't own a "smartphone" anyway, and never have. So if I get all preachy about how "wrong" it is to give such a device to a young kid, I'd expect responses like "What do YOU know about it, Gramps?"

:confused:

But for the record - Yes, I think 6 yrs old is WAY too young to have a "smartphone".

:no:

Where is a six year old going to be that he or she won't have an adult with them that has a phone?

I did buy my 7 year old (now a 9 year old) a gizmopal. It has one button on it. When you push it, it tells you too push it once more or to call one certain person or too push it twice more to call a second chosen person. It also has GPS that is accurate enough to tell you the address of where it is located.......but nothing more specific than that.

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:12 PM

View PostDutch13, on 25 April 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

Where is a six year old going to be that he or she won't have an adult with them that has a phone?

I did buy my 7 year old (now a 9 year old) a gizmopal. It has one button on it. When you push it, it tells you too push it once more or to call one certain person or too push it twice more to call a second chosen person. It also has GPS that is accurate enough to tell you the address of where it is located.......but nothing more specific than that.

I've never heard of "gizmopal", LOL, but your opening sentence makes perfect sense, at least nowadays: These days I wouldn't let a 6-yr-old run around loose without adult supervision.

For me that's very depressing, and demonstrates how far down the sewer this country has slid. Way back in the dark ages when I was 6, we ran around without adult supervision all the time. We'd jump on our bicycles and ride literally miles away from home, to play all day at the beach or the park or go exploring in the woods or whatever, and as long as we were back home by suppertime, nobody objected. There was no fear of being kidnapped or abused or anything else. It's just different nowadays.

As for the thread's general premise, a smartphone isn't necessary if we're talking about making sure a kid can call somebody. If there's some sort of problem or trouble or somebody gets hurt or whatever, they can call for help on a cheap phone, can't they? Why do they "need" something that costs literally hundreds of dollars?

:shrug:

#14 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:33 PM

View PostDutch13, on 25 April 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

I dunno about 6 YO but I can speak for 8-10 YO. First bicycle: "You have to stay within THESE bounds." Yeah, well, I've been on this board for HOW long? Y'all know ME by now.

#15 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

Who are these kids gonna call, Oscar the Grouch? Elmo? Arthur? Skye from Paw Patrol?

I know that young children are smarter than we think, but they are also precocious, so the whole little kids with a smartphone thing could be quite dangerous.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users