RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 75 Years Ago, One of the Best Dance Routines Ever Was Filmed, Unrehear - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

75 Years Ago, One of the Best Dance Routines Ever Was Filmed, Unrehear Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

75 Years Ago, One of the Best Dance Routines Ever Was Filmed, Unrehearsed on the First Take

Too short to exceprt:
Fred Astaire said it was ‘the greatest dancing he had ever seen on film’. In a dance performance for the ages, the Nicholas Brothers, Fayard (1914–2006) and Harold (1921–2000), dazzled audiences with their acrobatic routine to Cab Calloway’s hit song, Jumpin’ Jive. Not only that, but the routine was unrehearsed and what you see was the first take! [source]

The performance was from the 1943 musical film, Stormy Weather. In 2001, Stormy Weather was selected for the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.”

For a great summary of the Nicholas Brothers’ style and impact on dance, check out this NYT article.

Awesome video in link

#2 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:47 AM

Weren't they on "That's Entertainment," the compilation movie? I remember being awed by their dancing.

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 23 February 2019 - 10:54 AM

#3 User is online   NH Populist 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:48 AM

Back in the day before electronics and synthesizers, thanks for link LB, really enjoyed it! :2up:

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:57 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 23 February 2019 - 09:47 AM, said:

We're they on "That's Entertainment," the compilation movie? I remember being awed by their dancing.

I don't know. I've never heard of the Nicholas brothers.

I think the author meant something else by "unrehearsed" though. There's no way this wasn't carefully choreographed.

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:35 AM

View PostLadybird, on 23 February 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

I don't know. I've never heard of the Nicholas brothers.

I think the author meant something else by "unrehearsed" though. There's no way this wasn't carefully choreographed.

Agreed. Either the author simply doesn't understand what "unrehearsed" means, or he was just plain dishonest. CLEARLY this was a carefully-crafted and rehearsed dance routine.

And it was very good! Kudos to the Nicholas Bros.

:2up:

#6 User is offline   LeansToTheRight 

• Dr. Elson Floyd. RIP
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:36 AM

View PostLadybird, on 23 February 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

Agate. My definition of “unrehearsed” doesn’t match what I clearly saw that absolutely had to be practiced many times to get the timing right.

#7 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:14 PM

I've seen several of the Nicholas Brothers' routines in movies and on YouTube and they've always been dazzling and impeccably performed.

When Astaire pronounced their ''Jumpin' Jive'' number in the movie ''Stormy Weather'' (1943) -- unrehearsed and achieved on the first take -- to be the greatest dancing he had ever seen on film, he was not commending the acrobatics alone but rather the way the brothers erupted organically out of their tap steps, like a series of overlapping geysers that, simply to look at, project an observer into a stratosphere of elation.

Link

#8 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:44 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 23 February 2019 - 10:35 AM, said:

Agreed. Either the author simply doesn't understand what "unrehearsed" means, or he was just plain dishonest. CLEARLY this was a carefully-crafted and rehearsed dance routine.

And it was very good! Kudos to the Nicholas Bros.

:2up:

Yeah, I agree. Hard to comprehend that this was not rehearsed. Not hard to believe that this was gotten on a first take, however.

Either way, it was simply amazing. I think my legs will be sore from just watching this. Them doing splits and rising up not using thier hands. Just damn!

#9 User is offline   Alexis 

• <no title>

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:30 PM

Tremendous talents, but it must have played havoc with their joints after a number of years.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users