RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Should You Tip Your Flight Attendant? One Airline Is Encouraging It - RightNation.US

Should You Tip Your Flight Attendant? One Airline Is Encouraging It Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   jr_tex 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:10 PM

Nope. Since 9-11 I have been continually told they are there PRIMARILY for my safety.

#22 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

View PostCensport, on 10 January 2019 - 09:25 AM, said:

So glad I fly ANA.

Amen to that!

Closest thing to a bad experience I ever with them was this past July in flying from Okinawa to Tokyo
Family with young children... the boy about 4 or 5 wouldn't sit down or turn of his tablet as we where approaching Narita.
Wouldn't listen to the mom or dad etc, and was in the beginning stages of a full blown tantrum meltdown.
Figured, ah what the hell can't hurt to try to help. So I asked the Dad if he minded if I spoke with his son a little.
It worked. Didn't say anything mean or even in a mean voice. Just told the young boy that if he didn't put his seat belt on and turn of his tablet we can't land, and if we can't land I can't go home to see my kids and Dog. Then I think I said pretty please I really want to see them.
It worked. Sometimes it does take a stranger to help...

I consider it a sorta' Karma as when my girls where young and my wife was traveling back and forth a little kindness from a stranger always helped so much. Help in grabbing a bag, switching seats, etc etc. Just trying to return some good deeds that have come our way.

Ironically, ANA's seats as a rule are far more comfy and roomy. Crazy as you'd think Japanese people would require smaller seats.

Oki

#23 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

If I tip well, does that mean I get priority in the event of an emergency? And if a family member dies in an accident, would it be because they didn't tip and another passenger did?

Stupid idea.

I guess this is an example of the consequences of legalization recreational marijuana.

#24 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

View Posterp, on 10 January 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

Depends if the plane lands or not. If not, then none.

:lol:

#25 User is offline   Censport 

• Twitter: @CensportRacing

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:10 PM

View Postoki, on 10 January 2019 - 04:45 PM, said:

Amen to that!

<snip>

Ironically, ANA's seats as a rule are far more comfy and roomy. Crazy as you'd think Japanese people would require smaller seats.

Oki

Yeah, I've always thought it was odd having more room on a Japanese airline. Whatever the reason, I'm enjoying it!

Also appreciate that the stews flight cabin attendants are petite, attractive, ridiculously nice Japanese women instead of the linebackers and defensive tackles necessary on our airlines. All that Japanese hospitality makes a long flight so much easier to endure.

#26 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

View PostCensport, on 10 January 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

Yeah, I've always thought it was odd having more room on a Japanese airline. Whatever the reason, I'm enjoying it!

Also appreciate that the stews flight cabin attendants are petite, attractive, ridiculously nice Japanese women instead of the linebackers and defensive tackles necessary on our airlines. All that Japanese hospitality makes a long flight so much easier to endure.

That it does. One interesting thing that my wife has said is that typically the Americans(passengers) are very kind on those long flights especially to moms with small kids. Not that the Japanese people are rude, arrogant or such, just that they tend not to go out of their way to offer a helping hand. Not a diss of coarse, more so an observation. But, I think part of it is also that many Americans on those flights are either on Active Duty, are X Military D.O.D. employees or family. But yeah, ANA and Jal are always top notch, without fail. This time around was a triple seven between Chicago and Narita(both ways). Got a seat right behind a bulkhead(by far and away that is the absolute best spot), own power outlet, a small tray enough to set my lap top on. Pretty much I was gaming the entire trip between Chicago and Narita. Drank more soda than I care to remember, was tired as F when we finally got to Okinawa, slept like a rock and the next day was actually pretty good. Same thing on the way back, that is the trick to avoid jet lag. You feel like utter crap when you arrive, but you'll reset to the time zone a lot better this way.

Oki

#27 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:04 PM

View PostTikk, on 10 January 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

If I tip well, does that mean I get priority in the event of an emergency? And if a family member dies in an accident, would it be because they didn't tip and another passenger did?

Stupid idea.

I guess this is an example of the consequences of legalization recreational marijuana.

???

PLEASE tell me this was intended as some sort of joke. If not, then I have to inquire what in perdition does any of this have to do with marijuana???

:scratch:

#28 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 10 January 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

I'm not claustrophobic either. My fear of flying comes from my years working in an airplane parts factory. If you saw some of the shabby work that goes into those parts, you'd quit flying too.

:o

I see.... thatís reasonable.... but I also know that part and service quality for avionics have gone up dramatically in the last 2-3 decades.

So you might look into it again and take a long flight somewhere.

#29 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 10 January 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

I'm not claustrophobic either. My fear of flying comes from my years working in an airplane parts factory. If you saw some of the shabby work that goes into those parts, you'd quit flying too.

:o

I can only imagine. As someone who used to fix cars as a side job(still do my own stuff and help friends), I have seen more vehicles than I can count that where 'professionally repaired or checked' that wheren't just not done right, but down right dangerous. Plus, if Aircraft standards are in any way shape or form alike or similar to some state 'standards' in regards to Auto's there is stuff I have seen that passed which should scare the sh$t out of someone.
IE brake pads with less than a dimes thickness, coal black brake fluid. Worse yet it WAS A VAN WE BOUGHT OF A LOCAL DEALER. How the hell it passed a state inspection I don't know. Granted it's worse when it's an aircraft than a car, but I can see where you are coming from.

Oki

#30 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

View Postoki, on 10 January 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

I can only imagine. As someone who used to fix cars as a side job(still do my own stuff and help friends), I have seen more vehicles than I can count that where 'professionally repaired or checked' that wheren't just not done right, but down right dangerous. Plus, if Aircraft standards are in any way shape or form alike or similar to some state 'standards' in regards to Auto's there is stuff I have seen that passed which should scare the sh$t out of someone.
IE brake pads with less than a dimes thickness, coal black brake fluid. Worse yet it WAS A VAN WE BOUGHT OF A LOCAL DEALER. How the hell it passed a state inspection I don't know. Granted it's worse when it's an aircraft than a car, but I can see where you are coming from.

Oki

:2up:

View Postzurg, on 10 January 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

I see.... that’s reasonable.... but I also know that part and service quality for avionics have gone up dramatically in the last 2-3 decades.

So you might look into it again and take a long flight somewhere.

Not a chance. That old saying that "flying is safer than driving" is pure myth. Sure, more people die in car crashes every year. But there are several factors they don't take into account. For just a few examples:

Many people crash because they're just lousy drivers. Many because they're unfamiliar with the road conditions. Many because they've been drinking or taking drugs. Many because their cars aren't properly maintained, etc.

Well I have control over those factors. I can make sure I'm driving responsibly. I can drive even more carefully when in unfamiliar territory. I can make sure my car (brakes, tires, transmission, etc) are in good condition. I can make sure I never drive drunk or stoned, etc etc etc. In an airplane I have no such assurances. I just get strapped in and have to presume the pilot is good. I have to presume he's had enough sleep. I have to presume he isn't drunk. I have to presume the airplane is in excellent condition and properly maintained, etc. I can't "control" any of those factors.

What's more, plenty of people survive car crashes. How many people survive when a jetliner crashes?

Nope, I don't fly and I have no intention of changing that fact.

B)

This post has been edited by MontyPython: 10 January 2019 - 08:53 PM

#31 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

Iíll take my cue from Mr. Pink on this one.

#32 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:10 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 10 January 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

???

PLEASE tell me this was intended as some sort of joke. If not, then I have to inquire what in perdition does any of this have to do with marijuana???

:scratch:

It was a joke.

Some really dumb ideas have their genesis in being really really high...

ETA: It would be like two people drinking and deciding the most reasonable thing would be to decide who drives would be the one who can do the most shots ....

This post has been edited by Tikk: 10 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

#33 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:56 PM

View PostCensport, on 10 January 2019 - 09:25 AM, said:

So glad I fly ANA.

:thumbsup:

ANA, JAL, Delta and Korean Air, in that order.

Sometimes I'm stuck with United bc they're the only American carrier to Guam pfft

#34 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:54 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 10 January 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

Not a chance. That old saying that "flying is safer than driving" is pure myth. Sure, more people die in car crashes every year. But there are several factors they don't take into account. For just a few examples:

Many people crash because they're just lousy drivers. Many because they're unfamiliar with the road conditions. Many because they've been drinking or taking drugs. Many because their cars aren't properly maintained, etc.

Well I have control over those factors. I can make sure I'm driving responsibly. I can drive even more carefully when in unfamiliar territory. I can make sure my car (brakes, tires, transmission, etc) are in good condition. I can make sure I never drive drunk or stoned, etc etc etc. In an airplane I have no such assurances. I just get strapped in and have to presume the pilot is good. I have to presume he's had enough sleep. I have to presume he isn't drunk. I have to presume the airplane is in excellent condition and properly maintained, etc. I can't "control" any of those factors.

What's more, plenty of people survive car crashes. How many people survive when a jetliner crashes?

B)

I never think of the comparative argument (e.g. driving versus flying) as a good metric. Iím just looking at air travel safety statistics, and two things stand out:
1) for quite a number of decades, probability of complete safety had been undeniably good, just all on its own, no comparison.
2) safety has steadily improved, and has in particular improved this past decade by a lot.

Having said that, I fully understand that a major problem in flight is basically 100% fatal. There are no equivalent ďair bagsĒ. Iím not unconcerned about that fact when flying and always give my thanks for a safe arrival.

#35 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

View Postzurg, on 11 January 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

I never think of the comparative argument (e.g. driving versus flying) as a good metric. Iím just looking at air travel safety statistics, and two things stand out:
1) for quite a number of decades, probability of complete safety had been undeniably good, just all on its own, no comparison.
2) safety has steadily improved, and has in particular improved this past decade by a lot.

Having said that, I fully understand that a major problem in flight is basically 100% fatal. There are no equivalent ďair bagsĒ. Iím not unconcerned about that fact when flying and always give my thanks for a safe arrival.

Yup, all good points. But my position remains that if I crash my car it's probably my own fault, and it's possible I'll survive.

If my plane crashes it's never my fault, and it's extremely unlikely I'll survive.

There are, of course, exceptions: Sometimes it's the other car's/driver's fault, and sometimes people survive plane crashes. But the exceptions just aren't enough to justify the "planes are safer than cars" myth.

B)

#36 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 10 January 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

B)

So very true. You really are putting your life in someone elses hands that you know nothing about.
It's amazing how the same government we criticize for many things is the same government we trust when it's convenient or worse we have no choice in the matter.

Oki

#37 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:43 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 January 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

Yup, all good points. But my position remains that if I crash my car it's probably my own fault, and it's possible I'll survive.

If my plane crashes it's never my fault, and it's extremely unlikely I'll survive.

There are, of course, exceptions: Sometimes it's the other car's/driver's fault, and sometimes people survive plane crashes. But the exceptions just aren't enough to justify the "planes are safer than cars" myth.

B)

Would also be interesting to see it broken down by miles traveled.

Oki

#38 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

View Postoki, on 11 January 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

So very true. You really are putting your life in someone elses hands that you know nothing about.
It's amazing how the same government we criticize for many things is the same government we trust when it's convenient or worse we have no choice in the matter.

Oki

:yes:

View Postoki, on 11 January 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

Would also be interesting to see it broken down by miles traveled.

Oki

Excellent point.

:yes:

#39 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

View Posterp, on 10 January 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

Does it improve service? Will I be treated better if I give a generous tip? And what does that mean? How can they improve service if I am stuck in the middle seat between two large SJWís?

Will I get an extra poor? One more cracker?

I just donít see how they can be worthy of a tip if nothing else changes. It seems like the airline is trying to increase wages through tips instead of paying more to airline personnel. But I guess it beats raising the price of the tickets.

Iím on the fence here. If it improves my service, then sure. But if it SL like that tip line on the Panera receipt, when no extra service is given, then no.

Typically you don't pay to enter a restaurant. You pay to board a plane. I guess flight attendants could change their compensation and make an hourly rate below minimum wage like restaurant servers. Still, no.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users