RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Gorsuch Casts First Major Tie-Breaking Vote Allowing Arkansas - RightNation.US

Gorsuch Casts First Major Tie-Breaking Vote Allowing Arkansas Executions To Proceed Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Adam Smithee 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted Today, 03:33 PM

View PostModerator T, on 23 April 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

The way I look at it, if you go to prison and are still killing, or if you've killed again after getting out, or if you've committed treason, its time to die. Beyond that the Catholic in me wants to hope for some sort of reformation even if I've rarely seen evidence of it. Plus, our justice system isn't perfect and the wrong person does sometimes get convicted, and you can't undo an execution. I don't however believe it is remotely successful as a deterrent, only as a means of punishment/protection of society.

I agree wholeheartedly. "reformation"? Well, that would be me. I'm not the person that I was back in the '80s. (You're an LEO, go ahead, pull my sheet. But make sure your printer has plenty of paper first).

There was a point I Changed. Or, at least, there came a point where I could convince others that I'd changed. But... Have I REALLY changed? OR have I just learned how to "work it'. You decide.

Gere: Iíve changed, Sir, Iíve changed since Iíve gotten here.
Gossett: No, youíve just cleaned up your act a bit.

- Richard Gere vs. Lou Gossett Jr, An Officer and a Gentleman (1982) ; I'd have been the Richard Gere character.

#22 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted Today, 06:22 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 23 April 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

I am living proof that it works as a deterrent. There are several people I would gladly kill (AND THEY DESERVE IT), if it weren't for the fact that I'm unwilling to sacrifice my own life to end theirs.

B)

So if you lived in a non death penalty state you'd have been a murderer? You'd see life in prison as no deterrent? Interesting but there are always exceptions I suppose. Meanwhile the murder rate in death penalty states is overall higher than in non death penalty states.

#23 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted Today, 06:30 PM

Moderator T, on 23 April 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

So if you lived in a non death penalty state you'd have been a murderer? You'd see life in prison as no deterrent? Interesting but there are always exceptions I suppose. Meanwhile the murder rate in death penalty states is overall higher than in non death penalty states.

I'd like to see the numbers on that. Is the crime rate higher in Illinois or Arkansas? Is it higher in Michigan or Idaho?

Not calling you a liar. I just find that statement difficult to believe.

I think many in law enforce enjoy the use of it mainly as a tool to coerce confessions from suspects or to get the names of accomplices. I know when Jay Inslee sent a order down that Washington will no longer use the death penalty, the largest protests from political circles, we're from prosecutors.

This post has been edited by Magic Rat: Today, 06:35 PM

#24 User is offline   ilja 

• Go ahead, read my mind!!!
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted Today, 07:50 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 23 April 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

No margin for error in killing babies though. At least we have that.

One of the many reasons it's impossible to take you seriously.

:exactly:

#25 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted Today, 08:38 PM

View PostModerator T, on 23 April 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

You gotta keep in mind that for somebody as penniless as I am, prison is no real threat. Unlike me, those guys get three nourishing meals every day, free access to exercise equipment, and so forth. In other words, they're living better than I am. Sure, I have one option they don't have: I can leave my apartment if I want to. But where am I gonna go with no spending money, no money for gas in the car, etc?

:shrug:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users