RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Semper Dry: Now Marines Can Carry Umbrellas - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Semper Dry: Now Marines Can Carry Umbrellas Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:26 AM

Semper Dry: Now Marines Can Carry Umbrellas, Setting Off Stormy Debate
Upending hundreds of years of tradition, the Marine Corps has retreated from a ban on carrying umbrellas
President Obama checked to see if it was raining as a Marine holds an umbrella over him in 2013. CHARLES DHARAPAK/ASSOCIATED PRESS
By Ben Kesling
Nov. 11, 2019 12:44 pm ET
WSJ

<HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA>

For hundreds of years, Marines have endured the elements. The official uniform regulations are crammed with rules about how hair should be parted and what color socks are allowed with combat boots. They also made clear most Marines weren't allowed to carry an umbrella.

In an about-face, the service retreated from the ban last week, kicking off a debate within the Marine Corps—America's bastion of good order and discipline—about whether the idea was all wet.

"A Marine cannot choke an enemy or properly punch him in the face with an umbrella in his hand," said Shane Witcher, 56, a former sergeant who now lives in Bastrop, Texas, and served as a Marine mortarman, in a Facebook post. In an interview, he added, "We are always at the ready and it just goes against the grain of that very philosophy to have an umbrella in your hand."

On the other side is Maximilian Uriarte, a Marine veteran in Burbank, Calif., and artist behind "Terminal Lance," a comic strip that revels in the everyday preposterousness of Marine Corps life.

"I always applaud the progress of removing stupid rules that shouldn't have existed in the first place," he said.

"UMBRELLAS," now reads paragraph 3035 of the uniform regulations. "Marines may carry an all-black, plain, standard or collapsible umbrella at their option during inclement weather with the service and dress uniforms."

Marines out in the field or in battle, wearing their camouflage utilities, still won't be toting umbrellas alongside their rifles and rucksacks. And Marines in formation will likely still be braving the elements. Umbrellas are permitted only with the green service uniform (the military equivalent of a business suit) and dress blues, for occasions such as working in a headquarters or on recruiting duty, or for formal dinners.

Marines have other rules that cause consternation among the rank and file: They can't wear white socks with combat boots, or keep their hands in their pockets.

Female Marines were given permission to use umbrellas back in 1972. Officials couldn't say why the rules changed for women but not men, though some guessed it came down to men wanting to appear rugged and stoic.

Since then, six efforts to grant men the same precipitation protection have been proposed. All were shot down along the way, said Mary Boyt, program manager for the Marine Corps Uniform Board, the official gatekeepers for any changes.

A recent survey of Marines found that 76% of men and 94% of women said umbrellas should be allowed, Ms. Boyt said. "I can't tell you why it got approved this time around," she added, but many said they supported it not necessarily to help soggy Marines but to preserve their natty uniforms.

Marines looking for rain protection can in most situations turn to a trench coat derisively known as the Inspector Gadget, for its resemblance to one worn by the bumbling 1980s cartoon detective. Many won't wear the coat, even in rain, and promptly lose it after it is issued.

The umbrella rule change came just days before the Marine Corps' birthday on Nov. 10, the holiest day on the Corps' calendar.

(snip)

<HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA>

#2 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:29 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 12 November 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

Semper Dry: Now Marines Can Carry Umbrellas

Wouldn't want any of them to get their skirts wet...

#3 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:45 AM

I had to double-check that this wasn't The Babylon Bee

This is not your father's Marine Corps.

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 12 November 2019 - 07:46 AM

#4 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:37 AM

It wouldn't have applied to me. Grunts hardly ever wear their Alphas anyway.

#5 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:46 AM

http://i.postimg.cc/mrdsLhsS/respect.jpg

http://i.postimg.cc/9fsLYjth/salute.gif

#6 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:53 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 12 November 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

Man, he was truly a self-important tool.

#7 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:08 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 12 November 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

What a jackoff...

View PostJerryL, on 12 November 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Man, he was truly a self-important tool.

:exactly:

#8 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:39 PM

From what I've read on the 1st Marine on Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester and Peleliu they could have used them. Yet I believe future Marines will find them being excellent sniper bait. Won't last long.

This post has been edited by tailgunner: 12 November 2019 - 05:39 PM

#9 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:24 PM

Who let the snowflakes into the Corps?

#10 User is offline   Loch Gates 

• Learn to Suffer

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:52 AM

Fools are now in charge of the U.S. military.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users