RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: California scrapping plan for $77B high-speed rail from LA to San - RightNation.US

California scrapping plan for $77B high-speed rail from LA to San Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   NH Populist 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:25 PM

View Postoki, on 13 February 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

San Francisco to Dallas $2,031
https://www.uhaul.co...ns/RatesTrucks/

Dallas to San Francisco $974

For the same size truck no less.....

Not much more needs to be said.

Oki

That's amazing! :biglaugh:

#22 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:04 PM

View Postoki, on 13 February 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Main problem I can see is all the dumb asses who would be hitting the trains, fencing, guardrails and such.
BUT, if a person elevated it at key areas such as stations or where there are left turns. Has potential though. I could especially see this in places where people would use for a work commute. That may mean two trains or even two tracks + losing a lane on the road. BUT, if tons of people use the train instead of driving there won't be the need for the lost lane in the first place.

Thinking that maybe at each of the main stops you have parking ramps, this was people essentially can still drive that last mile or two, or first mile or two if need be and use the trains for the main long haul part of their commute. Won't be perfect for everyone but maybe just maybe for enough that it can keep the whole thing financially solvent.

Oki

Portland Oregon MAXX did it in some places. Atlanta MARTA the same.

https://www.ajc.com/rf/image_large/Pub/p6/AJC/2015/08/19/Images/photos.medleyphoto.7954225.JPG

It's a mixed bag.

Portland ORE:
If you're in the western 'burbs (Beaverton, Hillsboro, etc.) Easy way to commute downtown. Property values seem to go up proportional to your distance from a MAXX line. On the eastside, ESPECIALLY SE, ("Yellow Line"?) seen as a way to get thugs/crazies from A to B; Property values have gone DOWN proportional to distance from a MAXX line.

Atlanta? Well, a fustercluck from Day One. Little more than a "gimme" to the black community. As such, northern 'burbs such as Cobb County saw it for what it was, and said "4Q2 and the horse you rode in on" and opted out.

Where it worked?

DC Area. Assigned to "Naval District Washington" in the early '80s. Had a townhouse at the corner of 3rd & F NW, a nice walk/jog to Washington Navy Yard. They moved my desk to Crystal City VA. HAD to take the "Metro", don't even thing about driving it. CC VA was either one stop before or one stop after "Pentagon", can't remember. Metro was nice.

Chicago, back in the day Dunno much about the "El", but in the late '70s have ridden the "Chicago and Northwestern Railway" from Great Lakes Naval Base to Fort Sheridan (Army, where I had to go for Rifle quals) to even downtown Chicago.

Seems to work. IF you do it right.

#23 User is online   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 13 February 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

Portland Oregon MAXX did it in some places. Atlanta MARTA the same.

https://www.ajc.com/rf/image_large/Pub/p6/AJC/2015/08/19/Images/photos.medleyphoto.7954225.JPG

It's a mixed bag.

Portland ORE:
If you're in the western 'burbs (Beaverton, Hillsboro, etc.) Easy way to commute downtown. Property values seem to go up proportional to your distance from a MAXX line. On the eastside, ESPECIALLY SE, ("Yellow Line"?) seen as a way to get thugs/crazies from A to B; Property values have gone DOWN proportional to distance from a MAXX line.

Atlanta? Well, a fustercluck from Day One. Little more than a "gimme" to the black community. As such, northern 'burbs such as Cobb County saw it for what it was, and said "4Q2 and the horse you rode in on" and opted out.

Where it worked?

DC Area. Assigned to "Naval District Washington" in the early '80s. Had a townhouse at the corner of 3rd & F NW, a nice walk/jog to Washington Navy Yard. They moved my desk to Crystal City VA. HAD to take the "Metro", don't even thing about driving it. CC VA was either one stop before or one stop after "Pentagon", can't remember. Metro was nice.

Chicago, back in the day Dunno much about the "El", but in the late '70s have ridden the "Chicago and Northwestern Railway" from Great Lakes Naval Base to Fort Sheridan (Army, where I had to go for Rifle quals) to even downtown Chicago.

Seems to work. IF you do it right.

Good info, last statement is the key and why Gov in general shouldn't be running the show.

I know I have said this a few times but I think you definitely can echo and add to this.

In Government no matter how badly you f' things up, mismanage, or otherwise pi$$ off the people you still get paid/a paycheck.
The taxpayer/customer has no choice otherwise you go to jail.

Private business doesn't have this luxury, if you don't at least turn something of a profit and keep the customer at least happy enough to come back you go out of business and no one gets a paycheck.
By in large there is no incentive or reason for Gov to be more efficient and keep the customer(which of coarse is the taxpayer) happy to come back for more as we have no choice but to pay taxes. People say vote them out yadda' yadda'. Bull, different people same system. As someone once said, the Mayor doesn't run the city of Green Bay, the director of Public Works does. Which is what of coarse? Local Government.

Oki

View PostNH Populist, on 13 February 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

That's amazing! :biglaugh:

Yup, says a lot.

Oki

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users