RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Why Chick-fil-As Surrender Matters - RightNation.US

Why Chick-fil-As Surrender Matters Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:20 AM

Why Chick-fil-As Surrender Matters

November 18, 2019

Rod Dreher

Sometimes a delicious chicken sandwich is just a delicious chicken sandwich. But in the case of Chick-fil-As capitulation to the progressive left, it matters precisely because whether it wanted to be or not, the fast-food giant became a massive culture war symbol.

I can well imagine that its corporate leadership just wanted to be done with all the hassle, and stick with selling grub, like all other fast food chains. Who can blame them? Chick-fil-A didnt invite these years of disgusting, lying smears but it handled them with grace, and kept on standing by its principles. People who patronized Chick-fil-A knew that the allegations were baseless, and that hating Chick-fil-A was a left-wing cult thing to do. Remember this crackpot New Yorker article from 2018, in which the writer freaked out about Chick-fil-A coming to New York City? Excerpt:

Defenders of Chick-fil-A point out that the company donates thousands of pounds of food to New York Common Pantry, and that its expansion creates jobs. The more fatalistic will add that hypocrisy is baked, or fried, into every consumer experiencethat unbridled corporate power makes it impossible to bring your wallet in line with your morals. Still, theres something especially distasteful about Chick-fil-A, which has sought to portray itself as better than other fast food: cleaner, gentler, and more ethical, with its poultry slightly healthier than the mystery meat of burgers. Its politics, its dcor, and its commercial-evangelical messaging are inflected with this suburban piety.

Ewwww, suburban piety! That writer, Dan Piepenbring, lives in Brooklyn, according to the New Yorker. His piece was the epitome of a certain kind of puritanical preciousness weve come to expect from progressives. The fact that Chick-fil-A withstood this kind of garbage, and kept right on supporting its charities, brought the company a lot of admiration from pious suburbanites.

My wife and kids love Chick-fil-A, but I dont go to it that often, because Im not big on fried chicken. Still, it has been one of my favorite brands, in large part because it has succeeded smashingly it is now the third-largest fast food retailer in the US despite being the object of so much progressive hatred. Chick-fil-A showed that you could be faithful to traditional Christian values, and despite the scorn of the hateful Left, still succeed economically. The kind of people who write for The New Yorker might despise you, but the marketplace rewarded you for the good chicken and waffle fries you provided, and didnt buy the smear that you are a hateful company.

For a lot of us, Chick-fil-As quiet, cheerful resistance was a model of how to hold on to your Christian values, in spite of progressive spite, and still succeed. Quality work and a good product will always win out, even over left-wing prejudice. It was possible to look at Chick-fil-A and draw that conclusion until today.

It is no doubt true that Chick-fil-As stance, however unfairly characterized by LGBT activists and their allies, was hurting its ability to expand into the European market, and into more liberal markets in the US. But good grief, how much money does Chick-fil-A need to make, anyway? Last year, it took almost four KFC stores to make as much money as a single Chick-fil-A outlet. If Chick-fil-A was suffering from a decline in business because of its corporate charitable giving, their move could be understandable. But this is a fabulously successful chain!

Only the companys top decision-makers know why they did what they did, but I would bet money that this was not about markets, but about its executive leadership class getting tired of them and their spouses being stink-eyed by fellow rich and upper middle class peers at social gatherings. One of the most absurd shibboleths of American life is that business executives only care about the bottom line, and ultimately make decisions based only on profit and loss. In fact, these decisions are often driven by a sense of idealism. It might be mistaken idealism, but its still idealism. All of us want to be liked and admired by our peers. Its only human. Never, ever underestimate how much it matters to elites to be thought well of by their own social class. Their social class now reveres LGBTs; this requires it to despise Christians and others whose beliefs, for whatever reason, fail the progressive purity test.

This is not news. Almost every day I hear from readers in academia, in the corporate world, even in churches who talk about the growing sense of menace in their workplaces from political correctness. More and more people are coming to understand that the Law of Merited Impossibility (It will never happen, and when it does, you bigots will deserve it) really does describe an actual dynamic in American life when it comes to LGBT issues. For many conservative Christians, Chick-fil-As refusal to kowtow to the woke commissars was an inspiration. It was a small thing, maybe, but at least there was some major corporation that didnt allow itself to be pushed around by these bullies.

And now thats gone. The progressives took the biggest culture-war scalp of all today. Chick-fil-A is a privately held company, so it wasnt facing a stockholder rebellion. It is growing extremely fast, and doing very well, even in a time when Americans have come to favor gay marriage and gay rights. If Chick-fil-A really had been guilty of the hatefulness its accusers claimed, it would have seen its business decline as LGBT rights became more popular. In fact, it has seen nothing but growth.

But by abandoning the Salvation Army and other charities, Chick-fil-As corporate leadership signaled that it accepts the Lefts critique. The company is trying to dodge this charge, saying that it is merely refocusing its charitable giving priorities, to focus on education, fighting hunger, and fighting homelessness. The Salvation Army doesnt have anything to do with education, but you will find no more effective and valiant fighters of hunger and homelessness than the faithful of the Salvation Army.

But those good men and women are not good enough for Chick-fil-A now. Chick-fil-A is embarrassed by them. If Chick-fil-As executives think theyre going to get a fair shake from progressives now, well, theyre going to learn otherwise and theyre going to deserve what they get. Chick-fil-A is going to have to start paying de facto reparations to LGBT organizations in order to buy goodwill. Theyll do it, too, because they have already demonstrated that they can be pushed around.

<snip>

The American Conservative

#2 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

View PostDutch13, on 19 November 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

My wife and kids love Chick-fil-A, but I dont go to it that often, because Im not big on fried chicken.

The grilled chicken sandwich is one of the best in the business. One of the nice things about it is that it comes with no sauce already on it. You choose your own and put as much on as you want. Personally, I go with the bbq sauce because it's lower in fat than mayo.

#3 User is offline   Kilmerfan 

• Ah hell I still like Mel.
  • Group: Silver

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:00 PM

Chicken @#$% a full of it.

That is what they should be called now.

#4 User is offline   GrimV 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:20 PM

This makes no sense. You're alienating a large chunk of your customer base while surrendering to people who will never buy your product.

"Get Woke/Go Broke" is not simply a catchy phrase.

#5 User is offline   Bubbajoebob 

• M dwarf stars
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:08 PM

There's no satisfying the mob - it's not worth trying. They gave in and the result won't be that the mob says "OK, let's all stop protesting Chick-fil-A." Instead, they'll continue to claim it's anti-LBGXYZ and demand more concessions.

On the other hand, people who like the pro-Christian side of the company, not being open on Sunday, etc. Now see that they apparently won't donate to Christian charities for fear of being mislabeled, and thus might decide not to drive that extra block to go have a chicken sandwich instead of just stopping at Burger King or whatever.

#6 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

View PostGrimV, on 19 November 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

This makes no sense. You're alienating a large chunk of your customer base while surrendering to people who will never buy your product.

They most likely gave in to avoid lawsuits as most businesses do.

This is why my employer allowed an NGO to come in and provide us with mandatory "diversity and inclusion" classes which were paid for reluctantly by the employer.

One of the employees who is a homosexual claimed to have had another employee to make a rude remark to him once about his feminine beta male appearance, so he had his lawyer to pay the HR department a visit.

The settlement was that everyone had to be forced to attend their sickening and disgusting deviant promotional indoctrination "class" (which included very offensive and disgusting material from a local gay rights advocacy group here in my city regarding chemically and surgically transgendered children) plus pay the attorney's fees.

As I said on other threads, I and others got up and walked out of that freak show.

#7 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:42 PM

Chic-fil-a is saying to their loyal customers, "screw you. We'll take your business for granted. We're going to listen to the people who are already boycotting us."

Big mistake.

#8 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

View PostBubbajoebob, on 19 November 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

There's no satisfying the mob - it's not worth trying. They gave in and the result won't be that the mob says "OK, let's all stop protesting Chick-fil-A." Instead, they'll continue to claim it's anti-LBGXYZ and demand more concessions.

On the other hand, people who like the pro-Christian side of the company, not being open on Sunday, etc. Now see that they apparently won't donate to Christian charities for fear of being mislabeled, and thus might decide not to drive that extra block to go have a chicken sandwich instead of just stopping at Burger King or whatever.

You taste blood in the water, you follow it to the carcass and chow down.

#9 User is offline   corporal_little 

• What is your major malfunction....

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:39 PM

If I could roll my eyes any harder..... I know everyone disagrees with me, but I couldn't care less who CFA gives their money to. Of all the crap going on, this really doesn't matter. At least not to me.

#10 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:24 PM

Must be snowing somewhere warm...I completely agree.

#11 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:31 PM

See sig...

#12 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:09 PM

I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm a "neutral party" because my favorite at the moment is Church's, for the moment, with an 8-pc dark meat special on Wednesdays for $5.99 or so.

That whole Chic-fil-A v. Popeye's thing? Meh. I've seen it on the big screen as I'm chowing down at Church's. Besides, I'm a Quaker who believes in being a non-combatant... at last until it involves substantive issue like Intel v AMD, or Ford v Chrysler, or like, y'know, whatever.

Y'all go fight it out at Chic-fil-A and Popeye's. Fine with me, makes the line shorter at Church's.

#13 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

View Postcorporal_little, on 19 November 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

If I could roll my eyes any harder..... I know everyone disagrees with me, but I couldn't care less who CFA gives their money to. Of all the crap going on, this really doesn't matter. At least not to me.

I don't disagree with your right to have your own opinion. I pretty much don't care because I don't eat their food. That being said, modifying who they give money to based on pressure from a loud and obnoxious special interest group whose identity is based on "your junk, where you put it, and whether you think you have the right junk in the first place," is disappointing. IF that is what happened and why they changed who they give to.

#14 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:12 AM

View PostDutch13, on 19 November 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

I can well imagine that its corporate leadership just wanted to be done with all the hassle, and stick with selling grub, like all other fast food chains.

And that's the bottom line. Chick-Fil-A wasn't founded to be a political or religious organization. It's charitable donations were chosen by the owner because they were important to him on a personal level. Not because he was marketing to a specific demographic. It's a privately held corporation so he could pretty much do whatever he wanted to with the company's money. He didn't have to worry about making shareholders happy or following SEC rules. The founder died in 2014 and the remaining owners are free to donate their money according to their values. If their values are to expand their customer base then that's fine with me. I just like their grilled chicken sandwich. I don't go there for political or religious reasons.

I've always thought that actors and musicians who take public positions on political or religious issues are stupid for alienating a percentage of their potential customers. Same goes for restaurants, unless they're targeting that specific demographic. A lot of the public images created by companies are BS anyways. I've always thought that fair trade coffee was one of the bigger consumer scams.

Do you know who the companies you buy from are donating to? I don't. I don't plan on researching it either.

#15 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:36 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 19 November 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Chic-fil-a is saying to their loyal customers, "screw you. We'll take your business for granted. We're going to listen to the people who are already boycotting us."

Big mistake.

:yeahthat: :exactly:

I'm sure that it's Chick Fil A's legal department that is pushing them to bow down to these losers.

#16 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:38 AM

View Postcorporal_little, on 19 November 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

It doesn't bother you that yet another Christian organization is being attacked and is losing to the progtards?

#17 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

View PostJerryL, on 20 November 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

I don't disagree with your right to have your own opinion. I pretty much don't care because I don't eat their food. That being said, modifying who they give money to based on pressure from a loud and obnoxious special interest group whose identity is based on "your junk, where you put it, and whether you think you have the right junk in the first place," is disappointing. IF that is what happened and why they changed who they give to.

:exactly:

#18 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:48 AM

View PostRock N, on 20 November 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

It doesn't bother you that yet another Christian organization is being attacked and is losing to the progtards?

Other than the charities chosen by the owners, how is Chick-Fil-A a Christian organization? There are no religious symbols in their restaurants.

#19 User is offline   corporal_little 

• What is your major malfunction....

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostRock N, on 20 November 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

How are they being attacked or losing?

I'm on the board of several non-profits (including my church). Every single year we meet and the board decides what missions we will support that year. It changes almost every year. And the changes have almost nothing to do with not supporting, liking or attacking the missions that we supported the year before.

#20 User is offline   Kilmerfan 

• Ah hell I still like Mel.

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:56 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 20 November 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Other than the charities chosen by the owners, how is Chick-Fil-A a Christian organization? There are no religious symbols in their restaurants.

They close on Sunday for religious reasons

View PostRock N, on 20 November 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

:yeahthat: :exactly:

I'm sure that it's Chick Fil A's legal department that is pushing them to bow down to these losers.

This is the worst PR move ever..

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users