RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: U.S. approves secret nuclear power work for Saudi Arabia - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

U.S. approves secret nuclear power work for Saudi Arabia Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

U.S. approves secret nuclear power work for Saudi Arabia

Timothy Gardner
Reuters
3/27/19

EXCERPT:

U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry has approved six secret authorisations by companies to sell nuclear power technology and assistance to Saudi Arabia, according to a copy of a document seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

The Trump administration has quietly pursued a wider deal on sharing U.S. nuclear power technology with Saudi Arabia, which aims to build at least two nuclear power plants. Several countries including the United States, South Korea and Russia are in competition for that deal, and the winners are expected to be announced later this year by Saudi Arabia.

Perry's approvals, known as Part 810 authorisations, allow companies to do preliminary work on nuclear power ahead of the deal, but not ship equipment that would go into a plant, a source with knowledge of the agreements said on condition of anonymity. The approvals were first reported by the Daily Beast.

The Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) said in the document that the companies had requested that the Trump administration keep the approvals secret. "In this case, each of the companies which received a specific authorization for (Saudi Arabia) have provided us written request that their authorization be withheld from public release," the NNSA said in the document.

The NNSA and the Department of Energy did not immediately respond to requests for comments.

Many U.S. lawmakers are concerned that sharing nuclear technology with Saudi Arabia could eventually lead to a nuclear arms race in the Middle East.

(Full Story)

--
This doesn't sound like a smart idea

#2 User is online   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

View PostModerator T, on 27 March 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

U.S. approves secret nuclear power work for Saudi Arabia

Timothy Gardner
Reuters
3/27/19

EXCERPT:

U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry has approved six secret authorisations by companies to sell nuclear power technology and assistance to Saudi Arabia, according to a copy of a document seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

The Trump administration has quietly pursued a wider deal on sharing U.S. nuclear power technology with Saudi Arabia, which aims to build at least two nuclear power plants. Several countries including the United States, South Korea and Russia are in competition for that deal, and the winners are expected to be announced later this year by Saudi Arabia.

Perry's approvals, known as Part 810 authorisations, allow companies to do preliminary work on nuclear power ahead of the deal, but not ship equipment that would go into a plant, a source with knowledge of the agreements said on condition of anonymity. The approvals were first reported by the Daily Beast.

The Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) said in the document that the companies had requested that the Trump administration keep the approvals secret. "In this case, each of the companies which received a specific authorization for (Saudi Arabia) have provided us written request that their authorization be withheld from public release," the NNSA said in the document.

The NNSA and the Department of Energy did not immediately respond to requests for comments.

Many U.S. lawmakers are concerned that sharing nuclear technology with Saudi Arabia could eventually lead to a nuclear arms race in the Middle East.

(Full Story)

--
This doesn't sound like a smart idea

"Led to"???There's already a nuclear arms race and the Saudi's biggest enemy, iran, is working hard (with the help of obozo and his minions) to become the dominant power in the area. I understand the Saudis' concern.

#3 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

I think leering Israelís only friend in the region to also have nuclear assets is a decent idea, actually.

This post has been edited by zurg: 27 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

#4 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:23 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 27 March 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

...with the help of obozo and his minions...

Bingo. If not for Obama none of this would be happening.

<_<

#5 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:46 PM

Meh, what could go wrong? :shrug:

#6 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:52 PM

I'm no so sure giving nuclear technology to a country where radical Wahabbists have a significant presence in both the government and military is going to help us in the long run, or the short run for that matter.

#7 User is online   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:18 PM

View PostModerator T, on 27 March 2019 - 11:52 PM, said:

I'm no so sure giving nuclear technology to a country where radical Wahabbists have a significant presence in both the government and military is going to help us in the long run, or the short run for that matter.

I don't think they want them to help or harm us-self protection is what they have in mind. I feel strongly about self protection!

#8 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:25 AM

I have mixed opinions on it.

PRO: The Middle East needs water. Heck, most of the world needs water. I like how a mayor of Miami Florida once put it: "We will never run out of good clean water. What we will run out of is good clean CHEAP water." Desalinization is one answer. But to do it at any sort of economy, you have to go massive with it with massive amounts of power. At that scale, nuclear is both the cleanest and most economical way to get there.

CON: That said, while I'm a fan of Nuclear Power in theory, I'm not a fan of the current state-of-the-art which essentially is based on only incremental evolutions of 1940s/'50s US Navy technology with pressurized-water reactors. Compared to where I think nuclear Power CAN go, we are still - literally - in the Steam Locomotive era. PROBLEM IS, the massive bureaucracy surrounding anything with the word "Nuclear" stifles innovation.

Where I think there's potential is in finding a way to contain/capture/control the electromagnetic pulse (EMP) surrounding a nuclear reaction and convert it directly into electricity WITHOUT having to use pressurized water and steam as intermediaries. Consider that every Nuclear Power accident to date from Three Mile Island to Chernobyl to Fukishima has had to do with the water/steam part of it. So... find a way to do away with the water and steam part of it.

#9 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 30 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 27 March 2019 - 09:23 PM, said:

Bingo. If not for Obama none of this would be happening.

<_<

I wonder if this would be a tie in to something else like President Obama's pipeline speech or the idiocy of allowing Iran to basically fool the US with the nuclear deal.

#10 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:04 PM

View PostDiamond369, on 30 March 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

I wonder if this would be a tie in to something else like President Obama's pipeline speech or the idiocy of allowing Iran to basically fool the US with the nuclear deal.

Well I don't necessarily see a "tie-in" between Obama's extraordinarily stupid pipeline policies and his extraordinarily stupid Iran nuclear policies except for the obvious connections: Both were Obama's and both were extraordinarily stupid.

B)

#11 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 30 March 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

Well I don't necessarily see a "tie-in" between Obama's extraordinarily stupid pipeline policies and his extraordinarily stupid Iran nuclear policies except for the obvious connections: Both were Obama's and both were extraordinarily stupid.

B)

Stupid is as stupid does. Stuck on stupid. Life on the left is like a box of stupids.

#12 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

View Postzurg, on 30 March 2019 - 07:45 PM, said:

Stupid is as stupid does. Stuck on stupid. Life on the left is like a box of stupids.

Yup, yup, and yup.

:yes:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users