RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Ocasio-Cortez: Growing Cauliflower In A Community Garden Is A 'Col - RightNation.US

Ocasio-Cortez: Growing Cauliflower In A Community Garden Is A 'Col Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:46 AM

Ocasio-Cortez: Growing Cauliflower In A Community Garden Is A 'Colonial Approach' To Food

EMILY ZANOTTI
Daily Wire
5/21/19

EXCERPT:

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) posted a video Monday, explaining how her "Green New Deal" would work in action, focusing on community gardens in her home district. But, she cautioned, growing just any leafy green food in a communal plot would be unacceptable to GND overlords, and that wanna-be urban farmers should steer away from "colonial" approaches to gardening.

In it, Ocasio-Cortez, on a tour of local urban farms, suggests that communal vegetable gardens are one way to take a personal approach to alleviating the carbon footprint of industrial farming. She's, in some ways, correct; urban gardens help people who live in so-called "food deserts" get access to cheap, fresh produce, and they cut down on how much produce needs to be trucked in from larger food-growing operations.

But at its heart, the Green New Deal is less about environmentalism a recent study even showed that, fully implemented, Ocasio-Cortez's plan would reduce carbon emissions by a number "barely distinguishable from zero" than it is about a complete restructuring of the American economy designed to address perceived inequality and to meet the goals of "intersectionality" by eliminating "oppression."

Which is why, Ocasio-Cortez says, even a successful urban garden can't grow cauliflower.

(Full Story)

---

Racist. Cauliflower.

#2 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:02 AM

She just said, basically, that white people are ignorant to ethnic foods.

Forget the fact that she is a fool, she is also a bigot.

#3 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:11 AM

This is a racist retard in action. She's the one we the people need to resist, because her lens is that of a racist.

#4 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

Dumb bitch...

#5 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:08 AM

The "food deserts" are the result of high crime, high rent, and stupid laws like banning McDonald's from the neighborhood because "obesity". Don't grow cauliflower because the vegetable symbolizes white people colonialism. The cupid stunt can't even hear her own dog whistle.

#6 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

O for f's sakes already. If we ever needed proof of the absolute insanity of New York voters and reason why the city is in the state it is this a prime example! But, I digress.

As someone who does do a moderate sized backyard garden every year, has a sister who has a very successful farmers market operation and what could be considered a hobby farm I can offer a little bit of insight into the whole idea.

1. You ain't gonna' carbon offset jack sh$t with community gardens.
Why? Because you need to consider the following:
The soil must at a minimum be tilled in the spring before planting. Do we really think there is gonna' be a John Deer going from garden to garden? Who would be willing to do that? It will most likely be a small engine type roto tiller. Small engines aren't exactly known for having a small carbon footprint. It would be ideal if the city could or would till it with even a small tractor as they are much more efficient, but the logistics alone of moving a tractor from one plot to another would be daunting much less the 'carbon foot print'.

2. If the Garden is close enough to every ones home who will use it then they will be able to walk their, maintain it as well as pick produce on a near daily basis(which is the most ideal for this type of operation). If you are not out there at least every couple of days, it will quickly be over run by weeds, and or bugs and pests will eat everything. If people are not within walking distance they will drive or be forced to take public transit. Hello, carbon foot print.

3. Gardens attract rodents and other pests. Even you fence it that's no guarantee, especially with mice and rats. And of coarse it does nothing to stop bugs.

4. Unless you have a medium to large garden it won't be enough to feed a family. The idea that a small patch will feed anyone is utter B.S. it takes time and space for stuff to grow. Unless you have the time, space and knowledge the most you can hope for is enough to supplement your produce needs.

5. Year after year will leave the soil depleted and unable to grow so much as a blade of grass. Yes, kitchen waste can be used to replenish the soil. But it must be the correct kind and this requires resources to properly, store, compost and apply it.
Otherwise you will need to either buy soil, fertilizers or change what you are growing. So much for Always on Crazy's plan of only growing this or that.

6. What is the quality of the soil? You can't just take a vacant city lot and expect it to grow stuff. Especially in a large city where there is a very high likely hood of soil contamination. Know you are risking making people seriously ill or even killing them.
That's resources right there being used.

7. What about the resources to show people how to properly plan and plant? It's not just as simple as throw the seeds in the ground make sure to give them water and watch them grow.

In reading this people may think I am against Gardens. Hardly, I recommend to EVERYONE that if you have the space to put one in.
Not only will you get a supply of fresh, SAFER and far more nutritious food it can also save you some money. But, if you are putting one in thinking it will cut your grocery bill by a huge margin you will be disjointed. It won't, not unless your willing to eat like a rabbit. All I am saying is that before a person puts one in and wastes their time and money these are things which must be planned for.

I have been moderately successful with my own garden over the years and the reason I started it is because I ended up with Guillian Bare Syndrome/Miller Fischer Variant over some tainted produce. Holy crap that's 11 years ago know....

Oki

#7 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

This "person" is so mind-numbingly dumb that she makes Certain_Posters look almost semi-intelligent.

Does she ever have a moronic thought that doesn't transit her mouth?

#8 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 22 May 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

The "food deserts" are the result of high crime, high rent, and stupid laws like banning McDonald's from the neighborhood because "obesity". Don't grow cauliflower because the vegetable symbolizes white people colonialism. The cupid stunt can't even hear her own dog whistle.

Also incompetent and or corrupt city leadership.

Perfect example.
About 5 years ago Wal Mart announced plans that it wanted to buy the old Larsen Canning property here in Green Bay.
The building had been vacant and deteriorating for many years. I don't recall the exact details, but do remember that if nothing was done with the site by X date the city was required to take ownership of the site and they would be on the hook for something like five or ten million(or more) to do the toxic soil cleanup should the structure(s) be demolished as planned to make way for something else.

Wal Mart said they would take care of the clean up, build a Country Store and not a full on Super Center. Despite great support from both the local community, and the many small businesses on Broadway the Mayor and a handful of Alderman pretty much blocked the deal. Everything from it can only be under a certain square footage otherwise it has to be two stories(a two story Wall Mart yeah right).
To outright lying that the neighborhood didn't want it to it will kill small businesses. Local news crews interviewed many of the small business owners and they said flat out they wanted it and did not see it as a threat because they wouldn't be competing.
They felt it would be good for them because it would help draw more people to that area increasing their business. Pretty much all the shops are specialty type or bars and restaurants. Then it was the building wouldn't blend in because everything is old. Wal Mart released design mock ups and sketches, it actually looked very appropriate and would have blended in.

During this whole fiasco I had heard from a couple people that the Larsen family who owned the property in question where quite the campaign contributors to then Mayor Jim Schmitt. During this debacle I bumped into a local news crew also filling gas and asked if they had heard this. To my surprise the news babe answered we have called his office a number of times and they refuse to comment. The Wal Mart would have also been a competitor to the decrepit Save A Lot in the area which is known to be expensive and a sh$t hole of a grocery store. As that area is also pretty much the worst and poorest part of G.B. many of the people do not have vehicles and the only place within walking distance is of coarse the Save A Lot. And yeah, there are rumors the owners of that place where also campaign contributors to Schmitt as well.

Where is it know? I believe the building has gradually been turned into yet another bar restaurant. Never mind the Wal Mart would have provided for at least a couple hundred jobs in a area the desperate needed it and contributed much in taxes and helped increase commerce to the entire area.

Oki

#9 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61096832_2400250263584729_6509017495364435968_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=46cdbb6383534e90aa74f77ee2f9160b&oe=5D9933FD

#10 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 22 May 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61096832_2400250263584729_6509017495364435968_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=46cdbb6383534e90aa74f77ee2f9160b&oe=5D9933FD

:clap:

View PostJerryL, on 22 May 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

This "person" is so mind-numbingly dumb that she makes Certain_Posters look almost semi-intelligent.

Does she ever have a moronic thought that doesn't transit her mouth?

1. :yes:
2. No

#11 User is offline   GhostOfAndrewJackson 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

View Postoki, on 22 May 2019 - 09:06 AM, said:

O for f's sakes already. If we ever needed proof of the absolute insanity of New York voters and reason why the city is in the state it is this a prime example! But, I digress.

As someone who does do a moderate sized backyard garden every year, has a sister who has a very successful farmers market operation and what could be considered a hobby farm I can offer a little bit of insight into the whole idea.

1. You ain't gonna' carbon offset jack sh$t with community gardens.
Why? Because you need to consider the following:
The soil must at a minimum be tilled in the spring before planting. Do we really think there is gonna' be a John Deer going from garden to garden? Who would be willing to do that? It will most likely be a small engine type roto tiller. Small engines aren't exactly known for having a small carbon footprint. It would be ideal if the city could or would till it with even a small tractor as they are much more efficient, but the logistics alone of moving a tractor from one plot to another would be daunting much less the 'carbon foot print'.

2. If the Garden is close enough to every ones home who will use it then they will be able to walk their, maintain it as well as pick produce on a near daily basis(which is the most ideal for this type of operation). If you are not out there at least every couple of days, it will quickly be over run by weeds, and or bugs and pests will eat everything. If people are not within walking distance they will drive or be forced to take public transit. Hello, carbon foot print.

3. Gardens attract rodents and other pests. Even you fence it that's no guarantee, especially with mice and rats. And of coarse it does nothing to stop bugs.

4. Unless you have a medium to large garden it won't be enough to feed a family. The idea that a small patch will feed anyone is utter B.S. it takes time and space for stuff to grow. Unless you have the time, space and knowledge the most you can hope for is enough to supplement your produce needs.

5. Year after year will leave the soil depleted and unable to grow so much as a blade of grass. Yes, kitchen waste can be used to replenish the soil. But it must be the correct kind and this requires resources to properly, store, compost and apply it.
Otherwise you will need to either buy soil, fertilizers or change what you are growing. So much for Always on Crazy's plan of only growing this or that.

6. What is the quality of the soil? You can't just take a vacant city lot and expect it to grow stuff. Especially in a large city where there is a very high likely hood of soil contamination. Know you are risking making people seriously ill or even killing them.
That's resources right there being used.

7. What about the resources to show people how to properly plan and plant? It's not just as simple as throw the seeds in the ground make sure to give them water and watch them grow.

In reading this people may think I am against Gardens. Hardly, I recommend to EVERYONE that if you have the space to put one in.
Not only will you get a supply of fresh, SAFER and far more nutritious food it can also save you some money. But, if you are putting one in thinking it will cut your grocery bill by a huge margin you will be disjointed. It won't, not unless your willing to eat like a rabbit. All I am saying is that before a person puts one in and wastes their time and money these are things which must be planned for.

I have been moderately successful with my own garden over the years and the reason I started it is because I ended up with Guillian Bare Syndrome/Miller Fischer Variant over some tainted produce. Holy crap that's 11 years ago know....

Oki

All of what Oki has stated is true. It is very, very difficult to get even an environmentally friendly garden. The closest I have seen come in a 5 to 1 fallow to productive ratio. What that means is they have 5 times as much land that is tended to build the soil as they do under crop cultivation each year. Almost all garden rely heavily on importing materials in order to get high productivity per square foot. The only way you can avoid that is to build up your soil yourself by letting it lay fallow and by growing green cover crop manures. In general it is unsightly and ugly at best. Many common crops need vast amounts of fertilizer in order to grow properly and the inputs far exceed the output in terms of energy.

#12 User is offline   Hercules 

• <no title>
  • Group: Gold

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:50 AM

Every Community Garden I ever saw ( about 10 ) shut down because of THEFT of the produce by other than the planters.

#13 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

Forget the cauliflower, whatever she wants grown in these little hobby gardens, it sounds like she's been smoking it. :nuts:

#14 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:13 PM

https://memegenerato...es/60786433.jpg

#15 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

View PostBuckwheat Jones, on 22 May 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

:biglaugh:

#16 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

View PostGhostOfAndrewJackson, on 22 May 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

All of what Oki has stated is true. It is very, very difficult to get even an environmentally friendly garden. The closest I have seen come in a 5 to 1 fallow to productive ratio. What that means is they have 5 times as much land that is tended to build the soil as they do under crop cultivation each year. Almost all garden rely heavily on importing materials in order to get high productivity per square foot. The only way you can avoid that is to build up your soil yourself by letting it lay fallow and by growing green cover crop manures. In general it is unsightly and ugly at best. Many common crops need vast amounts of fertilizer in order to grow properly and the inputs far exceed the output in terms of energy.

Careful know, don't let facts and logic get in the way of a fool and their narrative.

To be honest, in a setting like NYC by in large you'd probably have as much or more success in either setting up rooftop greenhouses, or potted plants in or near windows. Like I said great idea, but it has to be done properly in order to succeed.

Oki

#17 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:19 PM

View PostHercules, on 22 May 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

Every Community Garden I ever saw ( about 10 ) shut down because of THEFT of the produce by other than the planters.

:exactly:

Hence why I keep my gates chained shut anymore and have motion sensors and security cameras placed all around my property. I have personally "greeted" several would be thieves as they opened my gate and started to help themselves to my gardens. I even have a few recorded on video. Their reactions and looks on their faces as I walked right up undetected and surprised them were priceless.

My neighbors and friends all found out the hard way and did not heed my warnings as they watched with pride as their watermelons, cantaloupes, honeydews all grew to impressive sizes only to be stolen by the neighborhood punks before they had fully ripened.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 22 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

#18 User is offline   GhostOfAndrewJackson 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

View PostRock N, on 22 May 2019 - 05:19 PM, said:

:exactly:

Hence why I keep my gates chained shut anymore and have motion sensors and security cameras placed all around my property. I have personally "greeted" several would be thieves as they opened my gate and started to help themselves to my gardens. I even have a few recorded on video. Their reactions and looks on their faces as I walked right up undetected and surprised them were priceless.

My neighbors and friends all found out the hard way and did not heed my warnings as they watched with pride as their watermelons, cantaloupes, honeydews all grew to impressive sizes only to be stolen by the neighborhood punks before they had fully ripened.

Exactly. One 3 occasions I have had my pear trees stripped of almost every pear in a single night (nothing on the ground, so clearly humans) and on one occasion I found a tree cutting crew contracting for the electric company stripping my apple trees of fruit. This was particularly annoying because I bag my fruit, ergo every apple was carefully thinned, selected, and bagged so it grow as close to organic as possible here (1 spray at petal fall and 1 cover spray). The only one of them who spoke English claimed they did not know anyone wanted the apples. I held them for the police as I and clearly posted no trespassing and demanded their arrest. All of them were illegals, and were released to appear in court and never did. I filed with ICE against their employer that never went anywhere.

Okay off to do my petal fall spray as we are now warm enough for the dreaded plum curculio.

#19 User is offline   Birddog 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:23 PM

View PostModerator T, on 22 May 2019 - 03:46 AM, said:

Ocasio-Cortez: Growing Cauliflower In A Community Garden Is A 'Colonial Approach' To Food

EMILY ZANOTTI
Daily Wire
5/21/19

EXCERPT:

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) posted a video Monday, explaining how her "Green New Deal" would work in action, focusing on community gardens in her home district. But, she cautioned, growing just any leafy green food in a communal plot would be unacceptable to GND overlords, and that wanna-be urban farmers should steer away from "colonial" approaches to gardening.

In it, Ocasio-Cortez, on a tour of local urban farms, suggests that communal vegetable gardens are one way to take a personal approach to alleviating the carbon footprint of industrial farming. She's, in some ways, correct; urban gardens help people who live in so-called "food deserts" get access to cheap, fresh produce, and they cut down on how much produce needs to be trucked in from larger food-growing operations.

But at its heart, the Green New Deal is less about environmentalism a recent study even showed that, fully implemented, Ocasio-Cortez's plan would reduce carbon emissions by a number "barely distinguishable from zero" than it is about a complete restructuring of the American economy designed to address perceived inequality and to meet the goals of "intersectionality" by eliminating "oppression."

Which is why, Ocasio-Cortez says, even a successful urban garden can't grow cauliflower.

(Full Story)

---

Racist. Cauliflower.

OC is the gift that just keeps on giving. I wonder sometime if she actually has a pulse or if she's just really advanced puppet with a conservative pulling her strings.

How on earth is gardening a Colonial Approach in any way?

#20 User is offline   Birddog 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:29 PM

View PostGhostOfAndrewJackson, on 22 May 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

Exactly. One 3 occasions I have had my pear trees stripped of almost every pear in a single night (nothing on the ground, so clearly humans) and on one occasion I found a tree cutting crew contracting for the electric company stripping my apple trees of fruit. This was particularly annoying because I bag my fruit, ergo every apple was carefully thinned, selected, and bagged so it grow as close to organic as possible here (1 spray at petal fall and 1 cover spray). The only one of them who spoke English claimed they did not know anyone wanted the apples. I held them for the police as I and clearly posted no trespassing and demanded their arrest. All of them were illegals, and were released to appear in court and never did. I filed with ICE against their employer that never went anywhere.

Okay off to do my petal fall spray as we are now warm enough for the dreaded plum curculio.

When my family was till farming, primarily feed grains and wheat, we'd always put in four to eight rows of green beans, blackeyed peas melons, sweet corn, spinach, tomatoes and other veggies.

Those rows were either 1/4 or half mile rows so it produced several tons of produce. It was intended to feed our family and three others that participated. Every year we would end up needing to post guards on it to keep hordes of thieves from stripping it bare.

In town we also had an orchard with 36 fruit trees, and planted 30-50 thornless blackberries along the fence. Same problem, even though it produced a couple of tons of fruit every year we couldn't keep the looters out even after we surrounded it it with a hotwire fence.

People will steal you blind in the blink of an eye if you give them the opportunity. It's not even like we horded it, just about anyone who asked was welcome to come and pick but the thieves would break down the trees and vines and just trash the place.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users