RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 'Inconceivable!' Fans Outraged as Hollywood Considers ' - RightNation.US

Jump to content

'Inconceivable!' Fans Outraged as Hollywood Considers ' Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 14,964
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

There were at least two Cleopatra movies before the one with Elizabeth Taylor chewing the scenery.

Interestingly, there was a late 50's movie "The Egyptian" based on the novel of the same name by a Finnish author, that was very good. Almost bankrupted the studio due to the costs of the costuming, sets, and set dressings. Some of that was recouped at much of it was used in the movies "The Ten Commandments" and "Cleopatra."
0

#62 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 59,619
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 21 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 21 September 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

And it's not just Hollywood remaking Hollywood; Lot's of big-name "Hollywood" films were simply re-makes of foreign films that nobody'd ever heard of (except maybe a few of us foreign-film geeks)

For example, most know that The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981), big hit for Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange was a remake of The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)with John Garfield and Lana Turner. But few probably realize that the "original" was itself a remake of the french film Le dernier tournant (1939).

A few other examples, just to name a few of my favorites:

City of Angels (1998), minor hit for Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan, was a remake of Germany's Der Himmel über Berlin (1987). The original is one of my favorites. The remake, meh. Much was lost in translation.

Breathless (1983) with Richard Gere was a remake of Jean-Luc Godard's french Breathless (1960). I actually liked the hollywood remake better, but then I was never really a fan of Jean-Luc Goddard or his whole "New Wave" style of directing. I think most of Goddard's films have been remade at one time or other, and for the better as far as I'm concerned.

Swept Away (2002) by director Guy Ritchie as a vehicle for then-wife Madonna. The original italian film by Lina Wertmüller Travolti da un insolito destino nell'azzurro mare d'agosto (1974)(Swept Away by an unusual destiny in the blue sea of August)is a classic and one of my favorites. But then I'm a huge fan of both italian director Lina Wertmüller and italian actor Giancarlo Gianinni.

Oh, and let's not forget two films that are mothers of ALL remakes of a foreign films:

Director John Sturges's [https://www.imdb.com...=fn_al_tt_4]The Magnificent Seven (1960)[/url] based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (1954). While the Magnificent Seven is consider by many to be a lame remake of the Kurosawa classic, it's notable in it's own for ushering in a whole NEW wave of "ensemble" films: "Lets have not just a star and co-star, but a whole CAST of stars" that dominated big-budget filmmaking in the later '60s and throughout the '70s with especially war films and disaster films.

The Outrage (1964) as a remake of Kurosawa's Rashōmon (1950). Every film that's ever been made since then that tells the story as a series of competing "flashbacks" owes a debt to Rashōmon which essentially invented the concept. I would include in that even Blame it on Rio (1984) which was itself a remake of the french film Un moment d'égarement (1977) but Rashōmon'd. If you need a third reason to watch Rio beyond Michelle Johnson, look for how director Stanley Donen "borrowed" from Kurosawa


Yup, Hollywood didn't only mine the Hollywood hills for second-time-around gold nuggets.


View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 21 September 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

Now we're up to, what, Star Wars episode MDCLXVIII ??? that started in '77???


For the record: I worked full-time at National Screen Service in '77, and even way back then it was well-known throughout the industry that there were going to be sequels and prequels several layers deep. Most of the "saga" was already basically written (or at least sketched in outline) before the first was even filmed & released. In other words, all those further films in the franchise weren't "added" as a "result" of the success of the original. They were already part of the plan.


View PostSeverian, on 21 September 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

Interestingly, there was a late 50's movie "The Egyptian" based on the novel of the same name by a Finnish author, that was very good. Almost bankrupted the studio due to the costs of the costuming, sets, and set dressings. Some of that was recouped at much of it was used in the movies "The Ten Commandments" and "Cleopatra."


Now that's interesting. Didn't know that.

:D
0

#63 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 21,887
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 21 September 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

For the record: I worked full-time at National Screen Service in '77, and even way back then it was well-known throughout the industry that there were going to be sequels and prequels several layers deep. Most of the "saga" was already basically written (or at least sketched in outline) before the first was even filmed & released. In other words, all those further films in the franchise weren't "added" as a "result" of the success of the original. They were already part of the plan.


BELIEVE ME, this pissed me off to no end.

Summer of '77, southern Indiana, you could go to the nearest K-mart (Martinsville IN) and buy a whole shopping cart of "Star wars" merchandise and even the LP soundtrack.. before the film even came to town.

Oh, you don't know how much this pissed me off. I can hold a grudge: To this day, I've never sat through a single Star Whores film.
0

#64 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 18,290
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

I have seen three versions of 'A Star Is Born', but still haven't seen the Gaga/Cooper one.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 25 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

0

#65 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 21,887
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:18 PM

View PostLadybird, on 25 September 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

I have seen three versions of 'A Star Is Born', but still haven't seen the Gaga/Cooper one.


If it's got Sam Elliott in it, it CAN'T be any worse than the Streisand/Kristopherson schlock. And Bradley Cooper is no slouch as a director.

:popcorn:

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 25 September 2019 - 06:19 PM

0

#66 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 27,996
  • Joined: 22-October 03

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:34 PM

View Posterp, on 19 September 2019 - 04:34 AM, said:

It was an ok movie. Never understood why so many thought this movie was great.

With that said, a remake of this movie would most likely bomb. The original was not that big of a hit at the box office.

This is just another example of Hollywood being devoid of new ideas.


It was a great movie for a lot of people (I love it), same can be said about any "cult classic", some get it some don't.
0

#67 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 27,996
  • Joined: 22-October 03

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

The RUS' are real, they live in DC and have formed a political party.

This post has been edited by Taggart Transcontinental: 25 September 2019 - 06:36 PM

0

#68 User is offline   Howsithangin 

  • The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,772
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:23 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 25 September 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

The RUS' are real, they live in DC and have formed a political party.

:D

And Miracle Max is the Senator from Vermont currently running for POTUS?
0

#69 User is offline   Howsithangin 

  • The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,772
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:25 PM

View PostLadybird, on 25 September 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

I have seen three versions of 'A Star Is Born', but still haven't seen the Gaga/Cooper one.


Along that vein, we're now up to 3 spiderman remakes, 3 batman remakes, and how many jokers?


I haven't been to the movies in 2 years, and 3 years before that.
0

#70 User is offline   Howsithangin 

  • The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,772
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:31 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 21 September 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

And it's not just Hollywood remaking Hollywood; Lot's of big-name "Hollywood" films were simply re-makes of foreign films that nobody'd ever heard of (except maybe a few of us foreign-film geeks)

For example, most know that The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981), big hit for Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange was a remake of The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)with John Garfield and Lana Turner. But few probably realize that the "original" was itself a remake of the french film Le dernier tournant (1939).

A few other examples, just to name a few of my favorites:

City of Angels (1998), minor hit for Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan, was a remake of Germany's Der Himmel über Berlin (1987). The original is one of my favorites. The remake, meh. Much was lost in translation.

Breathless (1983) with Richard Gere was a remake of Jean-Luc Godard's french Breathless (1960). I actually liked the hollywood remake better, but then I was never really a fan of Jean-Luc Goddard or his whole "New Wave" style of directing. I think most of Goddard's films have been remade at one time or other, and for the better as far as I'm concerned.

Swept Away (2002) by director Guy Ritchie as a vehicle for then-wife Madonna. The original italian film by Lina Wertmüller Travolti da un insolito destino nell'azzurro mare d'agosto (1974)(Swept Away by an unusual destiny in the blue sea of August)is a classic and one of my favorites. But then I'm a huge fan of both italian director Lina Wertmüller and italian actor Giancarlo Gianinni.

Oh, and let's not forget two films that are mothers of ALL remakes of a foreign films:

Director John Sturges's [https://www.imdb.com...=fn_al_tt_4]The Magnificent Seven (1960)[/url] based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (1954). While the Magnificent Seven is consider by many to be a lame remake of the Kurosawa classic, it's notable in it's own for ushering in a whole NEW wave of "ensemble" films: "Lets have not just a star and co-star, but a whole CAST of stars" that dominated big-budget filmmaking in the later '60s and throughout the '70s with especially war films and disaster films.

The Outrage (1964) as a remake of Kurosawa's Rashōmon (1950). Every film that's ever been made since then that tells the story as a series of competing "flashbacks" owes a debt to Rashōmon which essentially invented the concept. I would include in that even Blame it on Rio (1984) which was itself a remake of the french film Un moment d'égarement (1977) but Rashōmon'd. If you need a third reason to watch Rio beyond Michelle Johnson, look for how director Stanley Donen "borrowed" from Kurosawa


I'm a big fan of Scandanavian movies, esp. their dark crime dramas. It's astounding how frequently Hollyweird has felt the need to remake them, even just a year or so later (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, 2009 original, 2011 Hollywood remake).
0

Share this topic:


  • 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users