RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: I'm Closing-In on the End of these Tests--I hope! - RightNation.US

-----
I’m closing in on getting all those tests in. In fact, the only test I have left is the cardiac stress test, which is more than just a treadmill test, and an angiogram. I’m going to get those done at UW because they know to be extra-careful with my kidneys. I guess the dye that is used can be really hard on them. Speaking of the dye, I asked about doing these tests here at home, and the hospital here said they couldn’t for a while because the dye they use come from South Africa and they are having a shortage. Huh? There is nowhere else ON EARTH that you can get that dye from? I find that hard to believe. But I’m going to UW anyway.

Because the testing process (at least this round) is winding down, now I’m thinking about housing when I’m in Seattle. I have to stay a month to 6 weeks after surgery to adjust medications and make sure I’m OK. We used to have a house in Seattle until 2 years ago, too! Rats! Anyway, UW gave a list of hotels and housing that they have deal with for longer-term stays. They cost from about $1100-$1500 a month (so I’m saving). My folks have remained friends since high school with a Seattle contractor/landlord and he says he may have some vacant property that we can rent for awhile. My mom said they could rent it for 6 months and see if that will cover the month I need to be there and they will use it when they travel back to Seattle—which they do fairly often, since they all grew up there. That was incredibly generous, and would make it easy for my husband and my sister to stay there, too. But we’ll know better as we get closer.

I was calling back to UW about making the heart appointment and the gal I talked with might have let something slip—she said ‘Well you’re on the list so this little wait won’t be a big deal.” Oooh, I didn’t know I was on a list yet. I didn’t grill her because I didin’t want to jinx it but maybe they’ve started the countdown already!

One test I had to get was I needed my blood typed again, just to make sure. Yada-yada, the order hadn’t arrived from the doctor’s office yet, although they had sent it. So I said that I would just pay for it, no problem. They said that they can’t tell me my blood type without a doctor’s order! What!?!?! I asked, “Well what if I just wanted to know, out of curiosity?”, “You’d have to get an order from your doctor.” “Well, what if I don’t have a doctor?” “I don’t know. We aren’t allowed to take your blood, and even if we did, the lab wouldn’t test it. It’s against the rules.” And I thought, what nefarious thing could I possibly do with my bood type? The only reason I know my blood type now is we did an experiment in 8th grade. Otherwise, I wouldn't know. What if I just wanted to know??? It’s just going to get worse. Or I’ll have to join the Army.

The one thing that bugs me about this whole thing is that I asked the school if they could just make an announcement about how important people wanting to donate are, and mentioning that a coworker(me, but anonymous), for instance, is up for one, so it can hit close to hime. HR said no, that’s considered unethical—which I disagree with, even when they told me their criteria. They completely missed the point for what I was trying to say. I wouldn’t be benefiting from it. I wanted to just remind people these things go on. Then, last week they announced a FORMER student, BY NAME, needs a lung transplant so anyone who wants to be a donor on their driver’s license be sure to do it. Apparently, that’s not unethical, but my deal was. Well, I told them that I didn’t appreciate that and they were surprised I was upset. Oh brother. Whatever.

4 Comments On This Entry

Already on my prayer list. And wish ya luck!

ps the title of your post: "I’m closing in on the end--I hope" might be misconstrued as fatalistic. I'd replace it with your first sentence. B)
You're in my prayers too.
You are also in my prayers.
As for the HR thing.
Maybe you should look at the outcome as being one of those "God works in mysterious ways" things.
The important thing is that an announcement was made reminding people that being a donor is a good thing, right?

USNJIMRET, on Apr 18 2010, 04:56 PM, said:

You are also in my prayers.
As for the HR thing.
Maybe you should look at the outcome as being one of those "God works in mysterious ways" things.
The important thing is that an announcement was made reminding people that being a donor is a good thing, right?

You are absolutely right, USNJIMRET! That's why I didn't say anything beyond that, except good luck to that girl and I hope everything goes terrific for her. It was just their initial judgment of my situation that was so shocking to me. *sigh* On with life...
Page 1 of 1