RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Obama's 'Car Of The Future' Goes Kaput - RightNation.US

Obama's 'Car Of The Future' Goes Kaput Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:29 PM

And lest anyone 'dis the Fiat 127, it was the original "pocket rocket" in the day, well before the rice-burners got into the act:

(skip a bit to about 0:18)

#22 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:32 PM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 27 November 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

Well, since he bailed out GM and made it Government Motors, things didn't look so good, but, hey, they got the green just like Solyndra and others who benefitted greatly from his open up the vault policies.

However, I heard on the news that the head of GM is trying to say that the reason they are closing is the outrageous cost of Chinese steel because of Trump's policies.

It amazes me how everyone twists into pretzels coming up with ways to blame Trump for their own failures...

And then I also heard that the UAW is trying to sue GM for closing their plants... WTF? Is that even possible?

Leftardation, isn't it amazing?

#23 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:00 PM

View PostRedSoloCup, on 27 November 2018 - 08:32 PM, said:

Leftardation, isn't it amazing?

Yeah, but can we get back to talking about FIAT? Marchione suspension tuning. Abarth body work. Magnetto Marrelli electrics. THOSE are the things that really matter in this life as we know it.

#24 User is online   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:05 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 27 November 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

ANOTHER lie? Are there any promises he actually kept?

I think Obama had fantasies of being like Hitler and his Volkswagen Beetle. Obama and his followers couldn't be more detached from reality. The top two selling vehicles in the United States are pickup trucks. A pickup truck has been at the top of the best selling vehicle list for decades.

https://i.postimg.cc/jSYFS150/vehicle-sales.png

(source)

In so many ways...

Great speakers.
Cult Like following.
No prior experience in any type of leadership or supervisory positions.
Serious mommy/daddy issues or child hood abuse.
To Hitler Germany was a victim, to Obama Blacks where victims(this point is often overlooked).
No notable accomplishments prior to running for office.

There is more of coarse, but these are some of the key ones.

Oki

#25 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:09 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 27 November 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

Yeah, but can we get back to talking about FIAT? Marchione suspension tuning. Abarth body work. Magnetto Marrelli electrics. THOSE are the things that really matter in this life as we know it.

Actually, I can identify with ya'..

For many years I owned a 1980 Citation X11. Much like the Fiat maligned and chastised, but for those who knew how to properly care for them or didn't mind the qwerks they where beloved. And, the X11 much like the Fiat's you mentioned where not the boring hum drum models by any means.
Also willing to bet that many of issues where do to fat asses at the factory not doing their damn jobs and not design or materials defects.

Oki

#26 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:06 PM

I like the way cars handle and perform: nimble. responsive, etc., but I like the utility of more commodious body configurations and the all wheel/ 4 wd vehicles more, if I have to choose.

#27 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:22 PM

View PostBerkeleyUnderground, on 28 November 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

I like the way cars handle and perform: nimble. responsive, etc., but I like the utility of more commodious body configurations and the all wheel/ 4 wd vehicles more, if I have to choose.

Have I got a deal for you!!!

https://www.youtube....h?v=0D2dJlAoAj0

THis one is damn sharp.
https://www.youtube....h?v=Rv8bw51QaGk

Oki

#28 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:10 PM

View PostBerkeleyUnderground, on 28 November 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

Me too. We have at least 9 months of winter here, so I only feel secure in a pickup or an SUV with 4WD.

#29 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:31 PM

View PostLadybird, on 28 November 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

Me too. We have at least 9 months of winter here, so I only feel secure in a pickup or an SUV with 4WD.

So does everybody in my neighborhood. I think I'm the only one without a silver Lexus SUV. I am not exaggerating, EVERYBODY HAS ONE. You need it here in the Seattle suburbs. It sometimes snows up to three inches!

Truth be told, it does occasionally snow here and the town becomes a mess. And even further truth, I do have a 20 year old F150 4WD that I can use when that happens and can't use the car, so I don't blame you in your area.

#30 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:13 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 28 November 2018 - 06:31 PM, said:

So does everybody in my neighborhood. I think I'm the only one without a silver Lexus SUV. I am not exaggerating, EVERYBODY HAS ONE. You need it here in the Seattle suburbs. It sometimes snows up to three inches!

Truth be told, it does occasionally snow here and the town becomes a mess. And even further truth, I do have a 20 year old F150 4WD that I can use when that happens and can't use the car, so I don't blame you in your area.

There ya go.
A set of all weather tires is really all that people need in the states that rarely get snow. When it happens, it's good to be prepared.

#31 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:59 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 28 November 2018 - 06:31 PM, said:

Three inches and people freak out?

Wow....

Where I grew up(Bismarck N.D.) is considered a dusting, and where I live know (Green Bay Wisconsin) it's should I shovel or use the blower?

Christmas Eve 2016, 18 inches overnight in Bismarck.. Myself and my nephew found ourselves on the roof of my parents home due to a malfunctioning furnace, thankfully we just needed to clear the snow from the exhaust. And, thank God I brought my winter gear with as the wind was howling with chills in the minus 30 range.

This past April nearly 24 inches between Friday and Sunday in a freak storm here in Green Bay.

Know THIS is winter storm.
https://www.youtube....h?v=6EsD7ZlUBiY

Oki

#32 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:21 PM

View Postoki, on 28 November 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

Three inches and people freak out?

Wow....

Where I grew up(Bismarck N.D.) is considered a dusting, and where I live know (Green Bay Wisconsin) it's should I shovel or use the blower?

Christmas Eve 2016, 18 inches overnight in Bismarck.. Myself and my nephew found ourselves on the roof of my parents home due to a malfunctioning furnace, thankfully we just needed to clear the snow from the exhaust. And, thank God I brought my winter gear with as the wind was howling with chills in the minus 30 range.

This past April nearly 24 inches between Friday and Sunday in a freak storm here in Green Bay.

Know THIS is winter storm.
https://www.youtube....h?v=6EsD7ZlUBiY

Oki

They do freak out. All the candles disappear from the stores, along with all the canned soup and stews. It's pretty funny. However, there isn't really a comparison between North Dakota snow and the snow out here. It's much warmer here than in ND so the snow is wetter and more slick. Also western Washington has something that a North Dakotan has never seen in his state; hills. Steep, steep hills. In fact, I live on the top of a hill that is a mile long and is literally steeper than 40 degrees. A beautiful view of Mt. Rainier to the southeast and the wooded valley below in the east, but no matter how an experienced driver you are, it is very difficult to climb damn thing even in 4WD without chains if there is snow on the street. The snow usually only sticks around for a few days, then it rains until May. There's been some freak snows that caused damage during the runoff when it melts but it doesn't happen often.

#33 User is offline   Censport 

• Twitter: @CensportRacing

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:31 PM

View PostNatural Selection, on 27 November 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

I think Obama had fantasies of being like Hitler and his Volkswagen Beetle.

I always saw him as more of a Mussolini type, style-wise.

http://1389blog.com/pix/Mussolini-and-Obama-striking-a-pose.jpg

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_images/master/snapback.png' alt='View Post' />Dean Adam Smithee, on 27 November 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

I've driven most of those (thanks to collectors) and the only ones that really stood out to me were the 124 Spyder and the X1/9. I remember when the X1/9s were the car to beat on smaller, tighter tracks.

View Postoki, on 28 November 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

For many years I owned a 1980 Citation X11.

Wait, you sold the X-11?

#34 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

View PostLiz, on 26 November 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

Obama's 'Car Of The Future' Goes Kaput

Quite a prophecy from the Trabant of Presidents.

#35 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:39 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 28 November 2018 - 09:21 PM, said:

They do freak out. All the candles disappear from the stores, along with all the canned soup and stews. It's pretty funny. However, there isn't really a comparison between North Dakota snow and the snow out here. It's much warmer here than in ND so the snow is wetter and more slick. Also western Washington has something that a North Dakotan has never seen in his state; hills. Steep, steep hills. In fact, I live on the top of a hill that is a mile long and is literally steeper than 40 degrees. A beautiful view of Mt. Rainier to the southeast and the wooded valley below in the east, but no matter how an experienced driver you are, it is very difficult to climb damn thing even in 4WD without chains if there is snow on the street. The snow usually only sticks around for a few days, then it rains until May. There's been some freak snows that caused damage during the runoff when it melts but it doesn't happen often.

Very early to very late season snow storms the snow is damn near pure water, both here in Wisconsin and North Dakota.
As far as mountains go, no not so much. There are some spots where you have a few hills and when it ices over (which is often) you are in some serious schtick.
But to anyone who thinks the entire state is all desolate and pancake flat...

https://www.youtube....h?v=UGSjSCfdEHo

https://www.youtube....h?v=bUiSsENhxIU

For what it's worth, coldest I ever experienced was -80 something (with windchill). Think it was my Sophmore or Junior year...
Crap was that cold....

Oki

#36 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:51 PM

View PostCensport, on 28 November 2018 - 10:31 PM, said:

I always saw him as more of a Mussolini type, style-wise.

http://1389blog.com/pix/Mussolini-and-Obama-striking-a-pose.jpg

I've driven most of those (thanks to collectors) and the only ones that really stood out to me were the 124 Spyder and the X1/9. I remember when the X1/9s were the car to beat on smaller, tighter tracks.

Wait, you sold the X-11?

I wish it would have been a sale... Sadly I wasn't able to finish the Transmission rebuild and it needed a lot of work.

https://autoweek.com...t-citation-x-11
Be damned, that is or was my car. At least what was left of it.
Think I am gonna' cry.
Although the four door and regular two door ones weren't much to talk about the X11's where a special production model as GM competed in the SBCA series.
The same series they raced the IROC Camaro's in later. Rules where you had to sell the same car you ran on the tracks. Only real difference between the two where lights and safety gear. Although the 80 model year had the same engine as the regular Citation's the Transaxle was geared different and the suspension was also different. Be damned, the things could out handle a vet in 1980. And, in 81 when they put in a much stronger V6 the things could hold there own against pretty much anything Detroit could offer. Although those where rated at about 135-140 HP a lot of insiders said the number was at least north of 170 possibly closer to 200. Not great by today's standard's, but this was 81 when most V8's where even pushing anywhere near that.

Oki

#37 User is offline   Big Dave 

• ...and yes, I am compensating for something.
  • View gallery

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:05 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 26 November 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

Whether it’s cars or political candidates, seems like every schlimazel this schlemiel puts his prestige behind turns to schiesse.

The reverse King Midas.....

#38 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

View PostBig Dave, on 29 November 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

King shiedas?

Oki

#39 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:50 AM

View PostBig Dave, on 29 November 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

King sh*t Midas.

#40 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:00 AM

Before the Electric Car Takes Over, Someone Needs to Reinvent the Battery

Solid-state technology promises to be cheaper and charge faster than anything on the road today. But no one is close to figuring it out.

Bloomberg
By David Stringer and Kevin Buckland
January 6, 2019, 9:00 PM UTC

excerpt:

To deliver an electric vehicle that’s cheaper, safer and capable of traveling 500 miles on a single charge, the auto industry needs a breakthrough in battery technology. Easier said than done.

Scientists in Japan, China and the U.S. are among those struggling to crack the code of how to significantly boost the amount of energy a battery cell can store and bring an EV's driving range into line with a full tank of gas. That quest has zeroed in on solid-state technology, an overhaul of a battery's internal architecture to use solid materials instead of flammable liquids to enable charging and discharging. The technology promises major improvements on existing lithium-ion packs, which automakers say are hitting the limits of their storage capabilities and may never hold enough power for long-distance models.

If it can be mastered, solid-state technology could help speed the demise of the combustion-engine car and potentially slash EV charging times to about 10 minutes from as much as several hours. The supercharger network built by Tesla Inc., now offering some of the fastest charge times, needs approximately 30 minutes to bring a depleted car to 80 percent.
A Tesla Supercharger station in Kriegstetten, Switzerland.
Photographer: Stefan Wermuth/Bloomberg

“We don’t see another way to get there without solid-state technology,” said Ted Miller, Detroit-based senior manager of energy storage strategy and research at Ford Motor Co., which has studied various technologies aimed at delivering a more powerful EV battery. “What I can't predict right now is who is going to commercialize it.”

Currently, the best prototype with solid-state batteries is only powerful enough to propel a one-person vehicle across a Toyota Motor Corp. parking lot near Japan’s Mount Fuji. Car companies such as Daimler AG and Fisker Inc. are working on the task, as are a Chinese lithium giant, the French oil company Total SA, and spinoffs from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Stanford University. Fisker may conduct vehicle tests as early as this year, while Toyota and Daimler timelines extend into the 2020s.

*SNIP*

LINK

They have a long, LONG way to go with battery tech before I'd even look at an electric car.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users