RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Seeley - RightNation.US

-----

Seeley

I had just put my dog to sleep and sworn I wouldn't get another. What was I doing here? Oh right. Dog food. Dublin needed to eat after all.It was a Saturday and a friend and I had just taken our dogs to the park. Willow ( a sharpei mix) was Dublin's new best friend. They played together and rolled in the dirt. She was like the cheerleader and Dub was the linebacker. He defended her. Any dog that upset her and Dub (170 lbs of him) would take notice and just ram the hell out of it. Poor dog didn't know what hit him as he rolled across the dog park. Don't touch Dub's Willow.We went to the store to pick up dog food after dropping Willow off. I walked Dublin and the crowds parted and people stared and whispered. A few stopped dead in their tracks and pointed and still a few stopped us. Dublin did his usual tricks and shook hands with the people that wanted to meet him and see that not all rotts were nasty.We turned a corner towards the back of the store. My eyes locked with the saddest dog I had ever seen. Beautiful eyes. Expressive eyes that shown sadness and pleading to be loved. I didn't see anything but those eyes---windows of a soul locked in a small cage. Turning Dublin over to the strangers at the desk, I asked to walk him. He came out and followed me. I walked him all over the store and he, with his tail between his legs, followed. He looked horrible. Bones protruding through his skin, teeth broken and mouth bleeding still, clumps of hair falling out, but still those sad eyes looking up at me pleading. Past one toy isle and he grabbed a stuffed toy and carried it with him. The joy from one stuffed toy. Like he had never seen one before. He stopped and looked up at me with the toy in his mouth and slowly, very slowly, his tail crept from between his legs and he started wriggling. Those eyes----a little glimmer of hope shot through them as he looked at me.I returned him to the desk and saw his name on the card. Seeley. I asked about him and they told me he was unadoptable and this was his last weekend. He was to be euthanised on Monday. He was found wandering with a chain around his neck and the collar embedded into him. He had lymes disease and was bred for fighting. His teeth were broken to the roots. He was starved at only 35-40 lbs. They tried to encouraged me to get a healthier dog. But his eyes. Such pain and strength. I couldn't leave without him.I took this sad dog home with me. It was the year of hurricane Isabel. He reared up once home and took on Dublin in my foyer. Dublin grabbed him by the neck and shoved him down letting him know who was in charge in the house. For 4 months Seeley didn't sleep. He paced. He tried to fight with the cats and after many scratches across the nose he accepted them. Dublin split his eyelid open twice and left puncture wounds in his head. I'd never had to deal with such a "damaged" dog and I was at my wits end. Seeley didn't know how to sit to just relax since he was tied so tightly to whatever so he paced-----constantly. He had never been in a house in his 3 years so I had to teach him. Food aggression was a major problem. And he guarded his one toy he took from the store the day I took him home. I was afraid of him and during the night would tie him in my foyer to sleep.Fast foward a couple of years. Seeley is now Seamus. He is a chow akita mix. He lays on me on the couch and falls asleep on my chest. He has a cat (Anonda) who adores him and cleans him. Dublin is his idol. He nibbles Dub in times of stress and caters to Dublin. He will come and get me when Dub needs something. He is a healthy 80 lbs and still adores the many "babies" that people buy for him. He loves to be held and kissed and hugged. You can't give this dog enough attention and he demands it making up for the horrific life his previous owners gave him in his long 3 years. He was well worth the effort for me, to take him in and give him what he deserves his remaining years. His eyes said it all when I locked with him and saw nothing else but to love.Please adopt animals. While it is challenging, the rewards are tenfold.

15 Comments On This Entry

Your critters are very lucky to have you. I bet if Seamus could talk he'd say that the three years of hell was worth it to be where he's at now.

http://i2.photobucke...Coffee20Cup.jpg

O's Fan, on Dec 24 2005, 06:17 AM, said:

Your critters are very lucky  to have you. I bet if Seamus could talk he'd say that the three years of hell was worth it to be where he's at now.

http://i2.photobucke...Coffee20Cup.jpg

Thanks. :lol3: They're sweeties.
God, that cup of coffee you post in here looks so good--there has to be something subliminal to it. :scratch:
I believe rescued animals (Bowie, Seamus, Pepper) are the most grateful. Some people doubt that animals are capable of the logic required for gratitude, but you'ld be hard pressed to convince me otherwise, and your story is just one more anecdote of proof that they have that capacity!

Merry Christmas, Annie!
I agree, BARman29! Yours are incredibly lucky and spoiled.

Merry Christmas. :scratch:
I adopted little Newt from the pound when I was in my early 20s. He was a terrier mix of some kind, and super smart. After just a few days of feeding him out of a frisbee, he was already catching it. Sadly, however, he had distemper and we had to put him down. The hardest part was that the love and confidence in his eyes that attracted me to him had been replaced with confusion and fear.

After having had one dog my whole life, a sheltie who lived to be fifteen years old, I was dead set against getting another after Newt's death. Then, out of the blue, a friend brought over her sheltie with a big red bow on him. He was large for his breed, but Blaze was kind of a whimp. I remembered how it was impossible for us to breed our female with other shelties because the males were so afraid to assert themselves with such a dominant female. But, I took him in anyway and figured he would be a good little clown, and at first he was. We would all laugh when he would finally come out of one of his many hiding places only to scramble back inside when he noticed something was out of place.

Well, eventually, I started spending more time in the garage working out, and since that's where he usually hid during the day, he slowly got used to me. In between sets, we started racing up and down the side of the garage, and he would flip out whenever he won. Over the next few months he transformed completely. Whenever our weird neighbor lady would pop her head over the wall to say hi, Blaze would channel his wolf ancestors and try to take her out. (Of course as soon as she came over and he could see her entire body, he acted like she was his best friend :scratch: )

Long story longer, Blaze was a very successful stud. He produced several litters despite each female's attempts to beat him up for his trouble. He would sit for a minute or two as she growled and snapped, then he would give her one big display of bravado, and the Barry White music would come on. I'll have to post some pictures of Blaze and one of his families.

Blaze passed of extreme old age this time a few years ago, but I'm not quite ready for another one. I'm getting close though.

Thanks for the dog story, Annie. As a genre of literature, dog stories are by far the most underrated.

He would sit for a minute or two as she growled and snapped, then he would give her one big display of bravado, and the Barry White music would come on.

:scratch: That was cute!!!!

I'm sorry for the loss of both your dogs. :lol3: I know the racing thing around the room too. Seamus does that only I call it "scrunch and run." All their little feet move to the center of their belly and they happily take off. It's the silliest looking thing in the world.
You just reminded me when we first got Peaches. She was so afraid of people that she would only stay under our desk.... Now she is happy go lucky.....

Snow, Peaches and Crystal wish you guys a Merry Christmas....
Merry Christmas, Bradford and family! :scratch:
Annie: I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to read this before. What a wonderful testament to Seamus' spirit and to your love and understanding! Of course I'm not surprised in the least. :scratch:

P.S. Your bird is ringing. :lol3:
Thanks, Jax! :) And yes, I have to go answer the bird. :clap:
  • 2 Pages +

Be Yourself. Everyone is already taken.

http://img.photobuck.../Dsc00535-1.jpgI know when the Spirit of God is there, animals are the first ones to mellow out."If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935"The poor dog, in life the firmest friend,The first to welcome, foremost to defend,Whose honest heart is still the master's own,Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth,While man, vain insect hopes to be forgiven,And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven."Lord Byron Inscription on the monument of his Newfoundland dog, 1808" He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He willbe yours, faithful and true, to the last beatof his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy ofsuch devotion." Unknown

The Nauseatingly Cute Section

Links

Help Support Rightnation.US!Click HERE!Visit our store!Click HERE to shop!

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays