RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Millennials are so buried in debt they can't buy into American Dre - RightNation.US

Millennials are so buried in debt they can't buy into American Dre Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

View Postzurg, on 14 March 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

Iím certain that being < 25yo and having had an accident are bigger factors in raising premiums than living in black neighborhoods.

Auto Insurance Rates Are 70% Higher If You Live in a Black Neighborhood

#22 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

View PostLadybird, on 14 March 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

I'm sure that's completely racist and there are no theft/damage statistics to back it up.

#23 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

ANY ZIP code that has higher crime or accidents stats no matter the demographic is going to be higher.

Oki

#24 User is offline   ASE 

• You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:05 PM

View Postfirecoco, on 14 March 2019 - 07:53 AM, said:

She still hopes to go to graduate school but has delayed that until she has a better handle on her college debt for her bachelor of arts degree.

Is this her degree?

Uh, no, a BA or Bachelor of Arts is a category of degree just as a BS or Bachelor of Science degree is. I think you are under the impression that the degree is a bachelor of arts in art. I'm not sure that even exists, but it would be a pretty useless one if it did, just as 'women's studies' is pretty useless as a degree choice.

I have a Bachelor of Arts, and a Bachelor of Science; first is in Mathematics, second is in Computer Science, and neither has any 'Art' except for some in the 'Humanities' area that was required. Oh, and my 'millenial' son has no college debt (thanks to Uncle Sam), and a 3-bedroom townhouse... in Hawaii!! So millenials, take that, roll it up, and stick it in your eye!

This post has been edited by ASE: 14 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

#25 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!
  • Group: Gold

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostASE, on 14 March 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

Uh, no, a BA or Bachelor of Arts is a category of degree just as a BS or Bachelor of Science degree is. I think you are under the impression that the degree is a bachelor of arts in art. I'm not sure that even exists, but it would be a pretty useless one if it did, just as 'women's studies' is pretty useless as a degree choice.

I have a Bachelor of Arts, and a Bachelor of Science; first is in Mathematics, second is in Computer Science, and neither has any 'Art' except for some in the 'Humanities' area that was required. Oh, and my 'millenial' son has no college debt (thanks to Uncle Sam), and a 3-bedroom townhouse... in Hawaii!! So millenials, take that, roll it up, and stick it in your eye!

Take it up with Amanda Hill....Thatís what she said in the article...About her Bachelor Of Arts Degree

#26 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostKilmerfan, on 14 March 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

" Want fries with that?

A bachelor's degree in the arts isn't the same as a degree in the fine arts.

#27 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:14 PM

A BA might be useless in the short term, but it can be an advantage when it comes to promotions or even lateral moves within an organization, over someone with just a HS diploma. Itís a matter seeing the benefit of accepting a low paying, peon job to get a foot in the door.
Besides, she said she wants to pursue her Masters. If she can get a job where the company will pay part of the tuition, all the better.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 14 March 2019 - 03:18 PM

#28 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

View PostLadybird, on 14 March 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

Car insurance rates are much higher for black Americans who live in predominantly black neighborhoods.

To be fair, it turns out that if she is in Michigan, people pay about 39% more than the national average for auto insurance. Just seems odd to me because she is paying three times what I pay for full coverage. Not 30-40% but 300% for lesser coverage.

Also it is against Federal Law and most State Laws for insurance companies to discriminate based upon race.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t read where she has complained or blame anyone for her situation. If she works hard, she will find her way, just like the rest of us.

True she shows no evidence of complaining or blaming anyone else.

But getting a B.A. degree at Hampton University in Virginia is almost exclusively in the area of Liberal Arts (Theater, the Arts, History, Liberal Studies, etc.) or Journalism.

She herself in the article gives the following advice:

If she offered advice to anyone, she'd recommend seriously considering focusing on a college degree that has a more direct relationship to a good-paying job, such as computer engineering.

Which implies whatever degree that she got (after getting Scholarships only African Americans can quality for) does not lead to a good paying job.

This post has been edited by Tikk: 14 March 2019 - 03:17 PM

#29 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:12 PM

View PostTikk, on 14 March 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

To be fair, it turns out that if she is in Michigan, people pay about 39% more than the national average for auto insurance. Just seems odd to me because she is paying three times what I pay for full coverage. Not 30-40% but 300% for lesser coverage.

Also it is against Federal Law and most State Laws for insurance companies to discriminate based upon race.

True she shows no evidence of complaining or blaming anyone else.

But getting a B.A. degree at Hampton University in Virginia is almost exclusively in the area of Liberal Arts (Theater, the Arts, History, Liberal Studies, etc.) or Journalism.

She herself in the article gives the following advice:

Which implies whatever degree that she got (after getting Scholarships only African Americans can quality for) does not lead to a good paying job.

Also, if she has a bad credit score, bankruptcy, late payments, etc that can definitely affect insurance rates as well so can poor driving record, even minor legal infractions that can indicate risky behavior.

Oki

#30 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:14 PM

As long as she's paying into FICA for my Social Security checks when I retire, not my fault, not my problem.

#31 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:06 PM

View PostLadybird, on 14 March 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

I donít have a link for you but insurance rates are >100% higher if youíre <25 and >150% higher if youíre <25 AND had an accident.

I win.

#32 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

View Postoki, on 14 March 2019 - 08:35 AM, said:

There actually is a simple solution.

Require students to show that they researched the following:

Average job placement upon gradation locally, regionally and nationally.

Low end pay for a new graduated, at six months one year and five years.
Both locally, regionally and nationally.

Coarse can't do that as many students wouldn't enroll in worthless degrees. And that would cause large shrinkage's of 'Academia'.

Oki

Problem is, you can't always trust the data. And in many cases it ranges from one RCH short of fraud to outright lies. And you can't trust a school just because they're an established "name", even prestigious schools are fudging it.

• Just last year Temple University got stripped of it's MBA rankings in US News & World Reports (Which USED TO BE the gold standard for such things) for flat-out lying about statistics. WHYY: Temple ousts business dean after report finds false data was submitted for years for online MBA rankings.

• In 2012, Emory got caught at it... And they're a good school that didn't even NEED to fudge it. AJC (2012): Emory ranks No. 20, this time with accurate data. "Nearly a month ago the college admitted that for more than a decade it intentionally misreported data to groups that rate colleges."

• In 2011 a class-action was filed against 15 law schools for this: Breaking: 15 more ABA-approved law schools to be sued "With these lawsuits, nearly 10% of all ABA-approved law schools across eight states will be accused of tortiously misrepresenting job placement statistics and violating state consumer protection laws... ďThe numbers reported by the schools just donít comport with the reality of the legal job market."

#33 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

And they took the loans out under duress? :shrug:

:violin:

PS Participation in the "American Dream" started declining following the boomers. As a child of the 1980s, I can speak for my generation in that we were the first to realize that the rules had changed.

#34 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:09 PM

View PostHowsithangin, on 14 March 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

PS Participation in the "American Dream" started declining following the boomers. As a child of the 1980s, I can speak for my generation in that we were the first to realize that the rules had changed.

In a manner of speaking, yes. Or at the very least, fraud.

#35 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:19 PM

View Postzurg, on 14 March 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

I donít have a link for you but insurance rates are >100% higher if youíre <25 and >150% higher if youíre <25 AND had an accident.

I win.

"The average premium in upper middle income, predominantly African American ZIP codes is 194 percent higher than the average premium charged to a similarly situated driver in an upper middle income, predominantly white ZIP code ($2,113 vs. $717)."

#36 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

View PostHowsithangin, on 14 March 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

As a child of the '60s and teen of the '70s, HS class of '78 right in the middle of the Carter "Malaise", we were the first to realize several cold hard facts:

#1 - You couldn't trust the Government. OR the news. My parents, uncles, Grandparents etc trusted the Gov't implicitly; I was 13/14 YO when "Watergate hit". YES, the press was "out to get" Nixon (Just as they are Trump these days), but the fact remains than Nixon WAS a crook; I was ambivalent for many years. Tipping point for me was the Lockheed bribery documents released in the late '80s or early '90s.

#2 - The Job market had changed. Grandfather and several uncles were "Union Men". Grandfather, after being rejected by the Army in WWII for being epileptic, got a job at the Jeep plant in Toledo. Retired in the late '70s or early '80s. Get a good job with a blue-chip company, do as you're told, keep your nose clean, retire with a decent pension 30 or 40 years later. Those jobs were increasingly disappeared by my day.

#37 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:48 AM

View PostLadybird, on 14 March 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

"The average premium in upper middle income, predominantly African American ZIP codes is 194 percent higher than the average premium charged to a similarly situated driver in an upper middle income, predominantly white ZIP code ($2,113 vs. $717)."

Okay. You win.

#38 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:57 AM

View PostLadybird, on 14 March 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

Not being a smart ass, but are there very many upper middle income, predominantly African American communities, especially outside of Atlanta, or a few other major major metropolitan centers with large enough population groups to have a significant well-off, solely Black community? The reason I ask is I am sure that the significantly higher crime rates of lower income black communities (or white for that matter) are probably connected to it in one fashion or another.

Chris Rock has the joke that there are two malls in every city. The malls white people go to, and the malls white people used to go to. In my experience, upper middle income Blacks follow the much larger upper middle income white population into nicer (more expensive) neighborhoods with the idea that you buy your way out from living around riff-raff. White flight is a real thing, and intelligent/well-off blacks don't want to be around crime (or perceived likelihood of it finding them) anymore than whites and they too chase the suburban dream.

#39 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:44 AM

View PostJunto, on 15 March 2019 - 02:57 AM, said:

Not being a smart ass, but are there very many upper middle income, predominantly African American communities, especially outside of Atlanta, or a few other major major metropolitan centers with large enough population groups to have a significant well-off, solely Black community? The reason I ask is I am sure that the significantly higher crime rates of lower income black communities (or white for that matter) are probably connected to it in one fashion or another.

Chris Rock has the joke that there are two malls in every city. The malls white people go to, and the malls white people used to go to. In my experience, upper middle income Blacks follow the much larger upper middle income white population into nicer (more expensive) neighborhoods with the idea that you buy your way out from living around riff-raff. White flight is a real thing, and intelligent/well-off blacks don't want to be around crime (or perceived likelihood of it finding them) anymore than whites and they too chase the suburban dream.

Yes, of course there are. That's where those of us in the less than well off neighborhoods would go trick-or-treating. I remember incidents of black families moving to white neighborhoods and getting fire bombed by the unwelcome wagon. The auto-insurance might be higher, but you won't have a Molotov cocktail thrown through the living room window.

This might help..
https://praisedc.com...ies-in-america/

#40 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:21 AM

View PostLadybird, on 15 March 2019 - 05:44 AM, said:

Yes, of course there are. That's where those of us in the less than well off neighborhoods would go trick-or-treating. I remember incidents of black families moving to white neighborhoods and getting fire bombed by the unwelcome wagon. The auto-insurance might be higher, but you won't have a Molotov cocktail thrown through the living room window.

This might help..
https://praisedc.com...ies-in-america/

And if a white family were to move to a black neighborhood? Molotov cocktails would be a quiet day for them.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users