RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Hacker Takes Over Couple's Smart Home, Plays Vulgar Music And Rais - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hacker Takes Over Couple's Smart Home, Plays Vulgar Music And Rais Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:37 PM

HACKER TAKES OVER COUPLE'S SMART HOME, PLAYS VULGAR MUSIC AND RAISES TEMPERATURE TO 90 DEGREES

BY JAKE MAHER ON 9/23/19 AT 4:17 PM EDT

Smart-home technology allows residents to remotely control everything from the lighting to the thermostat, and see who's ringing their doorbell. While it's often touted as a means to keep homes secure, a Milwaukee couple say they felt anything but safe after a hacker took over their smart home.

Samantha and Lamont Westmoreland realized something was wrong when they began to hear a voice over the in-house video system. Then they started hearing loud music throughout the house and noticed the thermostat had been ratcheted up to a sweltering temperature.

"My heart was racing," Samantha told Fox 6 News. "I felt so violated at that point."

The couple had originally installed a Google Nest system in their house in November 2018. On September 17, Samantha came home and found that the thermostat had been turned up to 90 degrees. Thinking it was a mistake, she reset the thermostat.

The thermostat went back up, though, and a disembodied voice started talking to her and her husband through the camera in the kitchen and playing loud, "vulgar" music. "So I unplugged it and turned it facing the ceiling," Samantha said.

The Westmorelands eventually contacted their internet service provider and changed their network ID, thinking that someone had hacked first into their wifi and then begun using their Nest.

"People need to be educated and know that this is real, and this is happening, and it is super scary, and you don't realize it until it's actually happening to you," Samantha said.

The Westmorelands are not the first smart-home owners to be hacked: In January, someone took over a West Barrington, Illinois, couple's Nest cameras and began talking to their 7-month-old.

"I was shocked to hear a deep, manly voice talking," Arjun Sud told WBBM-TV. "My blood ran cold."

"[He was] asking me, you know, why I'm looking at him — because he saw obviously that I was looking back — and continuing to taunt me."

The hacker hurled obscenities and changed the temperature in the house to 90 degrees. After Sud disconnected the cameras, he contacted Nest, which told him to use two-factor authentication when logging in for added security.

<snip>

Link

#2 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:45 PM

:sheep:

Not really surprising, but yeah... I'll just go ahead and keep my "dumb" home. B)

#3 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:23 PM

TRUE Story: Lenovo Tab A8 running android whatever. Long past it's useful life, I turned into a "clock" just sitting their in our TV room. Several weeks ago I happened to notice that (maybe it's just my imagination) but most of the time it was silent but whenever I'd walk past it naked I'd hear a "blee-bleep".

Creepy as hell. I ditched it.

I mean, seriously. I'm pushing 60, could stand to lose a few pounds to say the least; I ain't exactly Michelangelo's David nor daVinci's Vitruvian Man; It's not like I'm auditioning for the next issue of Playgirl.

Creepy. just creepy.

#4 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 25 September 2019 - 08:23 PM, said:

TRUE Story: Lenovo Tab A8 running android whatever. Long past it's useful life, I turned into a "clock" just sitting their in our TV room. Several weeks ago I happened to notice that (maybe it's just my imagination) but most of the time it was silent but whenever I'd walk past it naked I'd hear a "blee-bleep".

I mean, seriously. I'm pushing 60, could stand to lose a few pounds to say the least; I ain't exactly Michelangelo's David nor daVinci's Vitruvian Man; It's not like I'm auditioning for the next issue of Playgirl.

Creepy. just creepy.

Yeah, no kidding!

Put some damn clothes on!!!

#5 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:54 PM

View Postgrimreefer, on 25 September 2019 - 07:45 PM, said:

Not really surprising, but yeah... I'll just go ahead and keep my "dumb" home. B)

Yup!

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 25 September 2019 - 08:23 PM, said:

Creepy. just creepy.

Oh my!

One very early (about 4AM) morning I had to call a software vendor to help fix a problem. When we connected over webex, the camera suddenly clicked on. I was still in my nighties with a scary face and even scarier hair. I bolted pretty quick. I keep duct tape over the camera on my laptops now.

#6 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:22 AM

View Postgrimreefer, on 25 September 2019 - 07:45 PM, said:

ayup.

Anymore, I relish the moniker "luddite" when tossed my way

#7 User is online   LeansToTheRight 

• Dr. Elson Floyd. RIP
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:00 AM

View Posterp, on 25 September 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

Yeah, no kidding!

Put some damn clothes on!!!

That was my thought, too.

#8 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:18 AM

Anyone who equips their home with this "smart" electronics crap deserves to be hacked. They asked for it.

I and my brothers have warned our nephew as he's installed all of this crap in his house too, all controlled by "Alexa".

We told him that he should expect to be hacked, robbed or burglarized eventually and that he gets no sympathy from us whenever it happens. He thinks we're nuts even when I told him that someone would steal his electric robotic lawnmower which was stolen after a month. He assured us that it would be worthless to any would be thief and inoperable for them without the base unit, but I told him that the lithium ion batteries in it are like gold to meth makers. That mower costs $3500 and he would not even turn in a claim to his homeowner's insurance either.
Today's youth have no "street smarts" at all and insist upon learning things the hard way.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 26 September 2019 - 03:22 AM

#9 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:08 AM

Sort of related:

Pulp diction: Samuel L Jackson to voice Amazon's Alexa

Hollywood star is the first celebrity voice to be rolled out on the virtual personal assistant
Wed 25 Sep 2019 22.45 EDT
Last modified on Thu 26 Sep 2019 07.30 EDT

Interactions with Amazon’s virtual personal assistant Alexa could soon become considerably more entertaining – and profane – after actor Samuel L Jackson signed up to lend his voice to the device.

The Hollywood star is the first celebrity voice to be rolled out on Alexa, in a feature that will be made available to users later this year for a fee, according an announcement by the tech and retail giant on Wednesday.

The Jackson feature will allow users of Alexa-enabled devices to interact with an AI version of the actor developed using the company’s neural text-to-speech technology. Jackson is not the first celebrity to feature on Alexa, but previous celebrity voice features have relied upon pre-recorded audio.

<snip>

Link

Get your motha-%^&&I&* ass out this motha-!#$&*^$ bed!

#10 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:27 AM

Hal?

"Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over."

#11 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:32 AM

I guess they should have changed their router's default password.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Dumbasses.

#12 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 26 September 2019 - 07:27 AM, said:

Hal?

"Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over."

I guess they never read Fahrenheit 451 either?

I would never have some THING or some ONE “watching” me all the time in my own home. Whenever I am at my niece's house and they are talking to Alexa it creeps me out.

And I’m with you Ladybird, I put masking tape over my “smart” laptops, etc, that have cameras until I need them, not that I’m paranoid or anything.

Talking about Fahrenheit 451, though. When I was in school and we read that book (many times, along with 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World) we all believed that the dystopian world of banning books, speech codes, political control, would be brought on by “The Man” who was, to us, the conservative, right-wing, republican party. Even though it is evident to me now that the left are the ones that always are trying to control people. Of course, I was a mushy headed 15/16 year old.

#13 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:31 AM

View PostBootsieBets, on 26 September 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

I would never have some THING or some ONE "watching" me all the time in my own home. Whenever I am at my niece's house and they are talking to Alexa it creeps me out.

And I'm with you Ladybird, I put masking tape over my "smart" laptops, etc, that have cameras until I need them, not that I'm paranoid or anything.

Talking about Fahrenheit 451, though. When I was in school and we read that book (many times, along with 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World) we all believed that the dystopian world of banning books, speech codes, political control, would be brought on by "The Man" who was, to us, the conservative, right-wing, republican party. Even though it is evident to me now that the left are the ones that always are trying to control people. Of course, I was a mushy headed 15/16 year old.

My wife asked me why I carry a gun around the house...

I told her, "Fear of the government".

She laughed, I laughed, the Amazon Echo laughed. I shot the Amazon Echo

#14 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 26 September 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

:biglaugh: :confused:

#15 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:17 PM

:2up: :lol:

#16 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:14 PM

View PostLadybird, on 26 September 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

Sort of related:

Hollywood star is the first celebrity voice to be rolled out on the virtual personal assistant
Wed 25 Sep 2019 22.45 EDT
Last modified on Thu 26 Sep 2019 07.30 EDT
Get your motha-%^&&I&* ass out this motha-!#{:content:}amp;*^$ bed!

LOL...My daughter told me that she was talking about buying a watch for someone and shazam!..she started getting add's on her phone for???...yep! Watches... (I would love to hear S/J screaming at someone saying "CALL ME ALEXA AGAIN..M/Fr I DARE YOU!)

Kestrel..

#17 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:18 PM

View PostBootsieBets, on 26 September 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

I would never have some THING or some ONE "watching" me all the time in my own home. Whenever I am at my niece's house and they are talking to Alexa it creeps me out.

And I'm with you Ladybird, I put masking tape over my "smart" laptops, etc, that have cameras until I need them, not that I'm paranoid or anything.

Talking about Fahrenheit 451, though. When I was in school and we read that book (many times, along with 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World) we all believed that the dystopian world of banning books, speech codes, political control, would be brought on by "The Man" who was, to us, the conservative, right-wing, republican party. Even though it is evident to me now that the left are the ones that always are trying to control people. Of course, I was a mushy headed 15/16 year old.

Yup, me too. Always.

#18 User is offline   ilja 

• Go ahead, read my mind!!!
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, I was all excited about getting one of those Simpli-Safe Home Security Systems but thought better of it and decided I would prefer a wired system. Then got tired having to type in with my remote to search for shows in my old Roku and bought a firestick when it went on sale real cheap on Amazon since it has a voice remote but have yet convinced myself to plug it in since the voice remote is Alexa and I don't want to hear Hilary's sick laughter coming from it some day or to worry about it recording me. But then again, I've been walking around for years with a iPhone in my pocket. Ugh. You can't escape it. :hairpull:

#19 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

View PostLadybird, on 26 September 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

Sort of related:

<SNIP>

Get your motha-%^&&I&* ass out this motha-!#$&*^$ bed!

Motha-%^&&I&* hilarious. :rofl:

:rofl:

#20 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:59 AM

View Postkestrel, on 29 September 2019 - 05:14 PM, said:

LOL...My daughter told me that she was talking about buying a watch for someone and shazam!..she started getting add's on her phone for???...yep! Watches... (I would love to hear S/J screaming at someone saying "CALL ME ALEXA AGAIN..M/Fr I DARE YOU!)

Kestrel..

I bet they could pull together enough material from R. Lee Ermey to make a good app as well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users