RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The Whole POINT of the Internet of Things Is So Big Brother Can Spy On - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Whole POINT of the Internet of Things Is So Big Brother Can Spy On You Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• ~***~
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:21 AM

The Whole POINT of the Internet of Things Is So Big Brother Can Spy On You

No One Wants the Internet of Things ...

Zero Hedge
by George Washington
Mar 16, 2017 3:58 PM

Excerpt:

No one wants the Internet of Things (IoT).

The Washington Post noted in 2014:

No one really wants a “smart” washing machine ....

If you're wondering who would want to buy an Internet-enabled washing machine, you're not alone. Even Whirlpool's not so sure.

"We’re a little bit of a hammer looking for a nail right now," Chris Quatrochi, Whirlpool's global director of user experience and connectivity, said last week at a conference hosted by tech blog Gigaom. The buyers of web-connected washers, more than a year after launch, are still "not at all widespread," he said. "Trying to understand exactly the value proposition that you provide to the consumer," he said, "has been a little bit of a challenge."

It's a big concession from one of the most notable champions of the buzzy "Internet of Things" ....

As Digital Trends blogger John Sciacca put it: "Have we gotten so pathetically lame that you need to be notified by an email that your laundry is done?"

Wired jokes:

Now it seems every kind of thing from dishwashers to doorknobs require an Internet connection, since after all, we all know our dishwashers have long harbored a pent up desire for scintillating conversation with our doorknobs.

(Side note: Several scientists say that the Same Frequencies Used for Pain-Inflicting Crowd Control Weapons May Be the Basis of the IoT Network.)
... Except Big Brother

The government is already spying on us through our computers, phones, cars, buses, streetlights, at airports and on the street, via mobile scanners and drones, through our credit cards and smart meters (see this), television, doll, and in many other ways.

The CIA wants to spy on you through your dishwasher and other “smart” appliances. Slate reported in 2012:

Watch out: the CIA may soon be spying on you—through your beloved, intelligent household appliances, according to Wired.

In early March, at a meeting for the CIA’s venture capital firm In-Q-Tel, CIA Director David Petraeus reportedly noted that “smart appliances” connected to the Internet could someday be used by the CIA to track individuals. If your grocery-list-generating refrigerator knows when you’re home, the CIA could, too, by using geo-location data from your wired appliances, according to SmartPlanet

“The current ‘Internet of PCs’ will move, of course, toward an ‘Internet of Things’—of devices of all types—50 to 100 billion of which will be connected to the Internet by 2020,” Petraeus said in his speech. He continued:

Items of interest will be located, identified, monitored, and remotely controlled through technologies such as radio-frequency identification, sensor networks, tiny embedded servers, and energy harvesters—all connected to the next-generation Internet using abundant, low cost, and high-power computing—the latter now going to cloud computing, in many areas greater and greater supercomputing, and, ultimately, heading to quantum computing.

Last year, U.S. Intelligence Boss James Clapper said that the government will spy on Americans through IoT:

In the future, intelligence services might use the [IoT] for identification, surveillance, monitoring, location tracking, and targeting for recruitment, or to gain access to networks or user credentials.

*snip*

Link

#2 User is offline   ThePatriot 

• Warpaint
  • Group: Gold

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

Which is why gov't controlled schools having been dumbing-down education for decades - people are much easier to control when they're uneducated.

#3 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

View PostThePatriot, on 17 March 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

Which is why gov't controlled schools having been dumbing-down education for decades - people are much easier to control when they're uneducated.

As per UN Agenda 21 that I have been mentioning here for years.

Once again the "conspiracy theorists" are proven right again and are fully vindicated.

Thank God for the internet and the citizen reporters of the alternative news.

The internet that was intended to enslave has been used to expose the captors and free us.

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

Great. Appliances to nag you when the housework is falling behind.

#5 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

I keep threatening to go off the grid

#6 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

View PostLadybird, on 17 March 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

Great. Appliances to nag you when the housework is falling behind.

Isn't that the purpose of a spouse?

#7 User is offline   ECtech 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Yep, I think it's pointless to have appliances with WiFi access.

It's easily defeated though - just don't enter your WiFi password on these devices.

#8 User is offline   Joe the Pagan 

• Don't blame me I voted for Romney
  • View blog

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

View PostECtech, on 17 March 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

Yep, I think it's pointless to have appliances with WiFi access.

It's easily defeated though - just don't enter your WiFi password on these devices.

They will just make the item more passive aggressive. Constantly asking for the password, or not letting you use all the features until you connect to the internet.

#9 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:37 AM

View PostJoe the Pagan, on 17 March 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

They will just make the item more passive aggressive. Constantly asking for the password, or not letting you use all the features until you connect to the internet.

Like Google wanting to 'upgrade' my cell phone so that my T-Mobile app will work more efficiently.

When I declined, the app now sputters and hesitates before it connects to the site so I can see what my usage is while on the road.

What a racket.

#10 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

A racket indeed, and the fact that all these tech giants are far left...what could go wrong?

#11 User is offline   Adam Smithee 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

View PostLiz, on 17 March 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

The Whole POINT of the Internet of Things Is So Big Brother Can Spy On You

No One Wants the Internet of Things ...

Zero Hedge
by George Washington
Mar 16, 2017 3:58 PM

No One? Reallllly?

Okay, I get that the author doesn't want this. But a HUGE pet peeve of mine is when an author who doesn't want/like a particular thing presumes that NO ONE does or should want/like it either.

What is he, a friggin' Democrat, presuming to tell me what I want?

FWIW: MediaPost - The Internet Of Things By The Percentages (selected examples):

8% -- Businesses using more than 25% of their IoT data (Oxford Economics/Verizon)

8% -- Households that own a smartwatch (Consumer Technology Association)

15% -- Households planning to purchase a fitness tracker in the next year (Consumer Technology Association)

15% -- Households that own a smart home device (Consumer Technology Association)

17% -- Growth of connected TV usage this year (eMarketer)

21% -- Businesses that plan IoT projects after this year (Gartner)

25% -- Consumers who do not want a smart home (Support.com)

29% -- Businesses with IoT projects underway (Gartner)

37% -- Consumers who already experienced a security incident or privacy problem in the past (BullGuard)

61% -- Smart home owners who want to use voice control for more products in their homes (NPD Group)

56% -- Growth in the number of smart homes in North America in a year (Berg Insight)

58% -- Consumers very or highly concerned about potential hacking and data theft against their connected devices (BullGuard)

64% -- Percentage of business leaders who expect IoT initiatives to impact their businesses in the long term by creating better user and customer experiences (TEKsystems)

64% -- Smart home product owners who use a smartphone to control devices (NPD Group)

65% -- Businesses that plan to eventually implement IoT (Gartner)

72% -- Security executives who say security is not adequately designed into IoT products (IOActive) [Include me in]

90% -- Business leaders not fully confident that their connected devices are secure (Gartner)

I will concede that Washing Machines are probably not the best sales case for an IoT device. But to springboard that into saying that "No One" wants ANY IoT device is just stupid.

#12 User is offline   Liz 

• ~***~
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

View PostAdam Smithee, on 18 March 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

. . .I will concede that Washing Machines are probably not the best sales case for an IoT device. But to springboard that into saying that "No One" wants ANY IoT device is just stupid.

:ranton: Oh, don't get me started on washing machines!!!!! Buying a new washer 4 or 5 years ago was the worst mistake I've made in a long time. I only wish I could get our old one back. I want the one that actually does what I want it to do when I want to do it and doesn't balk, or take 2 1/2 hours to run a cycle or lock up on me and refuse to open. I want a nice old-fashioned washing machine that doesn't think it's smarter than I am and just does what it's told. :rantoff:

#13 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

May I add how much I hate my cars "keyless" ignition.

It is not keyless (you still have to have the key in close proximity. So what's the benefit? I still need to fumble in my purse to get into the car or to lock it after I've driven.

And when the battery goes, you can't turn on the car. (Yeah, somebody's going to say that you can hold the dying key up close to the ignition in case of an emergency, but they don't tell you that when you buy the car. You have to find it on an internet search after your dead car is sitting in the garage and you're late for your appointment. (This was gleaned from personal experience.)

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 18 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

#14 User is offline   lyria 

• Just trying to get through the day without screaming.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 18 March 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

May I add how much I hate my cars "keyless" ignition.

It is not keyless (you still have to have the key in close proximity. So what's the benefit? I still need to fumble in my purse to get into the car or to lock it after I've driven.

And when the battery goes, you can't turn on the car. (Yeah, somebody's going to say that you can hold the dying key up close to the ignition in case of an emergency, but they don't tell you that when you buy the car. You have to find it on an internet search after your dead car is sitting in the garage and you're late for your appointment. (This was gleaned from personal experience.)

I'm not a fan of keyless ignition either. Like you, I don't see the benefit. My current car is a 10 year old Jeep Wranger. It not only isn't keyless, it doesn't even have the electronic thingy that lets you unlock the car at a distance. It's all manual, (even rolling down the windows), and that's fine by me. My husband's car is a new(ish) sports car, and has keyless ignition. I fumble with the damn thing every time.

I don't want a "smart home". I have a smart phone, but few apps connected to it. The biggest benefit of having a smart phone for me is the maps function, since I'm one of those people who gets lost fairly easily. I can't imagine what kind of functions these "smart appliances" provide for me that I'd actually use.

However, I don't by into the great conspiracy theory that all these devices are for control. They exist because of marketing. People designing them think people want them because people (generally speaking) like gadgets. The data gathering, where it occurs, is for marketing, not control. Doesn't make me like it any more or less, though!

This post has been edited by lyria: 20 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

#15 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

View Postlyria, on 20 March 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

I'm not a fan of keyless ignition either. Like you, I don't see the benefit. My current car is a 10 year old Jeep Wranger. It not only isn't keyless, it doesn't even have the electronic thingy that lets you unlock the car at a distance. It's all manual, (even rolling down the windows), and that's fine by me. My husband's car is a new(ish) sports car, and has keyless ignition. I fumble with the damn thing every time.

I don't want a "smart home". I have a smart phone, but few apps connected to it. The biggest benefit of having a smart phone for me is the maps function, since I'm one of those people who gets lost fairly easily. I can't imagine what kind of functions these "smart appliances" provide for me that I'd actually use.

However, I don't by into the great conspiracy theory that all these devices are for control. They exist because of marketing. People designing them think people want them because people (generally speaking) like gadgets. The data gathering, where it occurs, is for marketing, not control. Doesn't make me like it any more or less, though!

Exactly. These aren't being pushed by the CIA to monitor you. Why would the CIA care if you didn't bleach your whites? These are options for gadget lovers. There is a market for them and always has been. I am not interested in an Amazon Echo or any other voice activated manager but there are those who are and I support them and their choice to own what they want in their own homes. If someone wants to overpay for a nagging icebox, no skin off my ass. If you are worried that your TV, security system or hairdryer is spying on you, don't buy one. I like my iPhone, I like my tablet, if the CIA is monitoring me, these guys are going to be awfully bored with what I do with them, between sentimental texts with the girlfriend to looking at RN while in a waiting room, my iPhone use is pretty dull. If I don't want CIA agents bored with me, I could always smash the damn thing and go without a cellphone. Using these things are the choice of the consumer.

I was at the Home Depot yesterday and saw plenty of the old fashioned W/D combos with mechanical controls. The choices are out there and mechanical ones are a hell of a lot cheaper. I have keyless ignition and since the fob is already on my key ring, It's no different than carrying a key. I do have a beef with my onboard computer because a lot of what it does seems counterintuitive, but mainly it's because I haven't read the directions. I never learned how to use the 6 CD changer in my last car either, so these things are my fault.

These things are choices. It is not a conspiracy between the government, the UN and the Jews.

This post has been edited by Magic Rat: 20 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

#16 User is offline   lyria 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 20 March 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

Exactly. These aren't being pushed by the CIA to monitor you. Why would the CIA care if you didn't bleach your whites? These are options for gadget lovers. There is a market for them and always has been. I am not interested in an Amazon Echo or any other voice activated manager but there are those who are and I support them and their choice to own what they want in their own homes. If someone wants to overpay for a nagging icebox, no skin off my ass. If you are worried that your TV, security system or hairdryer is spying on you, don't buy one. I like my iPhone, I like my tablet, if the CIA is monitoring me, these guys are going to be awfully bored with what I do with them, between sentimental texts with the girlfriend to looking at RN while in a waiting room, my iPhone use is pretty dull. If I don't want CIA agents bored with me, I could always smash the damn thing and go without a cellphone. Using these things are the choice of the consumer.

I was at the Home Depot yesterday and saw plenty of the old fashioned W/D combos with mechanical controls. The choices are out there and mechanical ones are a hell of a lot cheaper. I have keyless ignition and since the fob is already on my key ring, It's no different than carrying a key. I do have a beef with my onboard computer because a lot of what it does seems counterintuitive, but mainly it's because I haven't read the directions. I never learned how to use the 6 CD changer in my last car either, so these things are my fault.

These things are choices. It is not a conspiracy between the government, the UN and the Jews.

Bingo. We do have video game consoles that have "smart" technology that can recognize people and voice commands. This was our choice to purchase and we recognize what it can and can't do. It comes in handy, and there are some fun games that are on it. But I do get a kick out of when it recognizes the secondary user, me. For some reason, when we turn on the system, it gives my husband a "hello" right away and signs him in. But more often than not, mine only recognizes me with my shirt off. I figure that's when the little guy in the control box starts paying attention... :coolshades:

#17 User is offline   Adam Smithee 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

View Postlyria, on 20 March 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Bingo. We do have video game consoles that have "smart" technology that can recognize people and voice commands. This was our choice to purchase and we recognize what it can and can't do. It comes in handy, and there are some fun games that are on it. But I do get a kick out of when it recognizes the secondary user, me. For some reason, when we turn on the system, it gives my husband a "hello" right away and signs him in. But more often than not, mine only recognizes me with my shirt off. I figure that's when the little guy in the control box starts paying attention... :coolshades:

Yeah, well, wave them in front of ME and *I'LL* notice too.

It's a geek thing. Don't worry about it. Nobody else will ever see, I promise. Especially if it's connected to the Interthingie.

But it's worth noting though that Warner has a sale right now, and probably a MUCH more comfortable fit than your current Vanity Fair.

#18 User is offline   Adam Smithee 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

View PostAdam Smithee, on 20 March 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

It's a geek thing. Don't worry about it. Nobody else will ever see, I promise. Especially if it's connected to the Interthingie.

But it's worth noting though that Warner has a sale right now, and probably a MUCH more comfortable fit than your current Vanity Fair.

Yeah, I know, that's bad. I threw out a couple of names I'd heard of. Nevermind.

All I REALLY want to know is, does Warner need a "test and measurement" specialist?

#19 User is offline   lyria 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

View PostAdam Smithee, on 20 March 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

Hah! Yeah, I know it's just coincidence. But we still get a laugh every time. :lol:

#20 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

Well, I'm not going to get paranoid, but I'm starting to notice some strange things.

Like how my computer keeps singing "bicycle built for 2" instead of turning off whenever I click on "shut down."

It's also started to call me "Dave" when it knows my name is Wag.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users