RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Third grade class takes action after finding error in workbook - RightNation.US

Third grade class takes action after finding error in workbook Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   House MD 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

View PostLadybird, on 24 June 2019 - 09:20 AM, said:

Third grade class takes action after finding error in workbook

UPDATED ON: JUNE 18, 2019 / 10:00 PM / CBS NEWS
Excerpt:
Oneonta, N.Y.ó At Valley View Elementary School in Oneonta, New York, a third grade class was feeling more than a little frustrated when they discovered a problem in a math workbook. It said "Christopher Columbus landed in America." "America," they said, refers to what is now the United States of America.

"They immediately protested because they knew that Columbus didn't land in the United States of America, he landed in the Caribbean islands," said teacher Ken Sider.

This reminds me of an episode of Tim Allen's Last Man Standing, were they wanted to change the names of Boyds' Elementary school because the school is named after Louis and Clark, because one of them was a "Slave Owner", cut to the chase their housekeeper Blanca said how about a man who discover america 200 years before their Louis and Clark, Vasco Nunez de balboa.

#22 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 24 June 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

Hmmm...Those are pretty good points.

And here's something that baffles me: The article clearly says the "error" was found in a math book.

Huh?

:scratch:

If the westbound Pinta, Nina and Santa Maria left Lisbon Portugal (38.7223į N, 9.1393į W) traveling at 20 knots at a vector of 15 degrees south, encountered 5 knot southward current for the for the first 1,000 km and then a 10 knot northward current for the next 500 km, what is the average west-bound velocity relative to the equator? LOL.

But, don't laugh, that's a "real world" math problem. And I'll bet the several pilots amongst y'all would know how to solve it. (And Me Too as a Navy guy). Instruments are nice, but, what if you suddenly don't have them???

#23 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:23 PM

View PostLadybird, on 24 June 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

It didnít say ďthe AmericasĒ. The textbook said Columbus landed in America, which is still correct, but not clear. The textbook has been adjusted for clarity.

But it did not actually stipulate which of the two that it was?

You're assuming.

So Weaseljd is correct.

#24 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:19 PM

View PostCoach, on 24 June 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

The worst were those authored by Zinn. Another problem was how ignorant younger members of the panel were.

Zinn? The maxist revisionist. Very nice.

As to the latter, we're caught in a do-loop. The first bunch of idiots grew up to become stupid teachers, who begat stupid students, who grew up to become stupid teachers, who... etc

#25 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

View PostWeaseljd, on 24 June 2019 - 03:22 PM, said:

No, the kids are not paying attention, and in fact, were wrong. First, the America's refers to all the land in the western hemisphere, not just the United States. Hence calling the continents NORTH AMERICA and SOUTH AMERICA. America is accurate.

But if you want to get nitpicky, the kids are still WRONG. Historians place landfall for Columbus as likely being in the Bahama's. The Bahama's are north of Cuba, and properly part of the Atlantic and not the Caribbean Sea. So the precious 3rd graders were wrong on both accounts.

So much for demanding a correction in a text book when the correction would have been more technically wrong than the statement they were trying to correct.

Oh well.

:)

#26 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:06 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 24 June 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

There are so many errors in textbooks. (I subbed for years.) Good for these kids.

Not positive Amerigo Vespucci "discovered" America either. Read a book years ago about the 3 voyages Columbus made to the New World, and a section of it cast doubt on Vespucci's claim. I would have to read it again to get specifics, but I do remember the book itself was really good. It certainly didn't lionize Columbus, but gave a very interesting account of each of the voyages.

#27 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:34 AM

View PostLadybird, on 24 June 2019 - 02:35 PM, said:

We never discussed Vietnam. Actually the textbooks we used in Jr. High (mid 70’s) were so old, it essentially hadn’t happened yet. Neither did the 69 moon landing.

Black history consisted of Lincoln freeing the slaves, Rosa Parks not moving on the bus, and the MLK assassination. My 7th grade English teacher was perturbed by this, so he incorporated black history into reading assignments.

I think that Taggart is bit younger than you and I!

I was thinking the same thing. It's kind of hard to get "history" that ended in 75 into a curriculum, textbooks, and then schools in 6 years. Then I remembered that not everyone here is as old as I am.

This post has been edited by JerryL: 25 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

#28 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:26 AM

View PostJerryL, on 25 June 2019 - 06:34 AM, said:

I was thinking the same thing. It's kind of hard to get "history" that ended in 75 into a curriculum, textbooks, and then schools in 6 years. Then I remembered that not everyone here is as old as I am.

An interesting point, which is more historic: The first person to do something, or the first person of X race or color to do something?
If we are all truly equal then I would think it's former as they are essentially in un charted territory, while the latter may simply be inspirational as the obstacles overcome are largely political or societal and not physical or necessarily technological.

Oki

#29 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:36 AM

No, the kids are not paying attention, and in fact, were wrong. First, the America's refers to all the land in the western hemisphere, not just the United States. Hence calling the continents NORTH AMERICA and SOUTH AMERICA. America is accurate.

But if you want to get nitpicky, the kids are still WRONG. Historians place landfall for Columbus as likely being in the Bahama's. The Bahama's are north of Cuba, and properly part of the Atlantic and not the Caribbean Sea. So the precious 3rd graders were wrong on both accounts.

So much for demanding a correction in a text book when the correction would have been more technically wrong than the statement they were trying to correct.

Oh well.

I have also read he originally landed on Hispaniola.

https://www.amazon.c...ps%2C187&sr=8-3

Link to the book I noted in a previous post. In fact there were 4 voyages. Guess it HAS been a long time since I read it. Definitely worthwhile.

Here is another, by the man who wrote an excellent book on Magellan. One thing for certain, these men endured hardship that is unfathomable today.

https://www.amazon.c...K0Y7KJ2W7X28SGN

This post has been edited by Hieronymous: 25 June 2019 - 08:46 AM

#30 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

View PostLadybird, on 24 June 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

I think itís that (purposeful), and also laziness.

The solution to this problem is obviously more money for schools. /Democrat

#31 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

Oh well.

I'll give you 1/2 credit. ;)

Yes, The Americas" is accurate for the reasons you stated.

BUT... while the Bahamas aren't in the actual Caribbean Sea, they ARE considered part of the "Caribbean Islands". Source #1: Wikipedia: List of Caribbean Islands. Source #2: Caribbean Journal: The 19 Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in 2019 in which Abaco in the Bahamas is listed as #2: "Abaco Island hopping. Out-of-this-world beaches. Deep sea fishing. Golf. Boating. The island chain of Abaco might be the most complete destination in The Bahamas, and itís one of the best-kept secrets in hemisphere ó from historic towns to charming little island hotels to some of the most legendary bars in the Caribbean. Itís a Caribbean destination for people who are in love with the Caribbean. In other words Ė itís just about perfect ó and itís time to discover it."

#32 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:58 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 24 June 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

If the westbound Pinta, Nina and Santa Maria left Lisbon Portugal (38.7223į N, 9.1393į W) traveling at 20 knots at a vector of 15 degrees south, encountered 5 knot southward current for the for the first 1,000 km and then a 10 knot northward current for the next 500 km, what is the average west-bound velocity relative to the equator? LOL.

But, don't laugh, that's a "real world" math problem. And I'll bet the several pilots amongst y'all would know how to solve it. (And Me Too as a Navy guy). Instruments are nice, but, what if you suddenly don't have them???

That is why God invented RNAV, and INU's. So we don't have to do that idiotic math and we can focus on more important things.

#33 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

View PostJerryL, on 25 June 2019 - 06:34 AM, said:

<----- 1969 (birth) so I grew up in the 80's and graduated high school in 1987. So yes we had a page or two on Vietnam.

#34 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:17 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 25 June 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

I'll give you 1/2 credit. ;)

Yes, The Americas" is accurate for the reasons you stated.

BUT... while the Bahamas aren't in the actual Caribbean Sea, they ARE considered part of the "Caribbean Islands". Source #1: Wikipedia: List of Caribbean Islands. Source #2: Caribbean Journal: The 19 Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in 2019 in which Abaco in the Bahamas is listed as #2: "Abaco Island hopping. Out-of-this-world beaches. Deep sea fishing. Golf. Boating. The island chain of Abaco might be the most complete destination in The Bahamas, and itís one of the best-kept secrets in hemisphere ó from historic towns to charming little island hotels to some of the most legendary bars in the Caribbean. Itís a Caribbean destination for people who are in love with the Caribbean. In other words Ė itís just about perfect ó and itís time to discover it."

I would refrain from using Wikipedia as a source for anything other than celebrity birthdays.

#35 User is offline   Mr. Naron 

• But you're not as confused as Nigel, are you?
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

I donít know. As a history teacher, Iíd appreciate ANY level of interest in getting it right. However, I get the same vibe from this as I get from those annoying fact checkers at WaPo.

#36 User is offline   ASE 

• You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 24 June 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

There are so many errors in textbooks. (I subbed for years.) Good for these kids.

When I was in school, it was quite an awakening when I first found an error in a textbook. Up to that time, I figured those books were the last word on what is fact or not. At that point I began to think more on things and begin to question 'authority'. My favorite question (mostly to myself since kids are only allowed to question 'authority' in a limited fashion) was 'authority according to whom?', and I no longer blindly accepted things. Quite a profound realization for a kid.

#37 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:22 PM

View PostASE, on 26 June 2019 - 05:11 PM, said:

When I was in school, it was quite an awakening when I first found an error in a textbook. Up to that time, I figured those books were the last word on what is fact or not. At that point I began to think more on things and begin to question 'authority'. My favorite question (mostly to myself since kids are only allowed to question 'authority' in a limited fashion) was 'authority according to whom?', and I no longer blindly accepted things. Quite a profound realization for a kid.

I reached that stage early on, especially in the late 60's while in elementary school when I watched the UK TV show "The Prisoner." All the brutality, forced conformity, ulterior motives, and group vs. individual freedom things that happened in the Village were done in real life in the microcosm of school. Gave me a better idea of the world and that fighting for your right to be an individual not a nodding bobble head groupthink member was not only possible but well worth it. Might not have helped my "assimilation" into "society" but who cares?

#38 User is offline   ASE 

• You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

That would depend on the type of 'society' they want you to assimilate into, eh? Probably not the 'from each according to his ability, and to each according to his need' type of society... Run from that one as fast / far as you can.

This post has been edited by ASE: 27 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users