RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Border Wall: Monument For The People, Not Pols - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Border Wall: Monument For The People, Not Pols Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:04 PM

MALKIN: Border Wall: Monument For The People, Not Pols

The Daily Wire
By Michelle Malkin
January 12, 2019

excerpt:

Profligate politicians have never met a multibillion-dollar infrastructure project they didn't like except when it comes to President Donald Trump's border wall.

Think about it.

Boston's Big Dig black hole, the nation's most expensive highway project, burned through $25 billion and was plagued by deadly engineering incompetence, endless cost overruns, leaks, lawsuits and debt.

California's high-speed rail boondoggle is a $100 billion bullet train to nowhere. Gov. Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown promised a 2020 completion date for the miracle transportation system. The latest estimates predict it won't open until at least 2033, and the costs keep rising.

Seattle's ill-fated Alaskan Way Viaduct replacement topped out at $4 billion in local, state and federal funds for a two-mile bored road tunnel that will finally open next month nearly four years behind schedule and hundreds of millions of dollars over budget.

What the Big Dig, bullet train boondoggle and Seattle squander all have in common is that political elites, lobbyists and corporate heavy-hitters trampled over grassroots citizen opposition to get their way. Too many government construction projects are built because these publicly subsidized gravy trains reward campaign donors, powerful public employee unions and assorted control freaks in the urban planning and transportation sectors.

Another glaring example? Across the country, voters have repeatedly rejected billion-dollar sports stadium and arena subsidies over the past 30 years only to be sabotaged by bipartisan alliances overruling the will of the people. I used to run a watchdog website called "Porkwatch" filled with so many field-of-schemes case studies that I couldn't keep track of them anymore.

Then there are all the tax-funded highways, bridges, museums and other edifices glorifying Beltway swamp creatures. The infamous Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia steered billions of federal dollars back to his home state, where more than 50 government buildings bear his or his wife's name not to mention an eponymous telescope, multiple libraries and "lifelong learning centers," wellness centers, industrial parks, community centers, gardens, interchanges, highways, expressways, bridges, locks and a dam. A bas-relief sculpture of the alpha porker greets visitors at the Byrd dam, deemed unnecessary by locals.

Not to be outdone, GOP Sen. Mitch McConnell has his own park; former Democratic Sen. John Dingell has his own transit center; the late Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg has his own rail station; tax cheat Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel has his own tax-funded "Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Service" at the City College of New York; and the recently retired powerbroker Democratic Sen. Harry Reid sponsored billions of dollars in egotistical earmarks, including several million for a "research and technology park" named after him.

Was there a swell of grassroots support for all these vanity projects? Was there overwhelming demand for the 10,000th long and windy road named after some blowhard incumbent hack?

Wouldn't it be refreshing, for once, for the federal government to prioritize infrastructure that serves the national interest over special interests?

*SNIP*

LINK

They sure love honoring themselves. :rolleyes:

New rule: No dedicating to or naming things after a living politician. Must be dead for at least 50 years before consideration.

#2 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

We've already got Adopt-a-Highway sponsors. Why not an Adopt-a-Wall program?

If only. I would love to have a section on tax forms where we can check to contribute to spending much like the Presidential fund or Nebraska Wildlife Fund. It would be a real wake up call to the pols and pundits. It would also diminish the power of the federal government. Which is a why Congress will never pass a bill allowing direct, voluntary contributions.

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:07 PM

Seattle's ill-fated Alaskan Way Viaduct replacement topped out at $4 billion in local, state and federal funds for a two-mile bored road tunnel that will finally open next month nearly four years behind schedule and hundreds of millions of dollars over budget.

This one really hits home to me. I LOVED the Alaskan Way viaduct. The most enjoyable stretch of road in all of greater Seattle. Whether day or night, whether going north or south, whether in a car or on a motorcycle, it was the most beautiful view to be had in western Washington, the most relaxing drive. I can't begin to count the hundreds, if not thousands, of times when my trip took me through Seattle and would've been much quicker to just stay on I-5 all the way through town, but I instead went several miles out of my way just to spend that five minutes on the Alaskan Way viaduct instead. The only thing wrong with the viaduct was that it was too short; The enjoyment was over too soon.

As soon as they announced they were going to tear it down and replace it with a tunnel, it tore a hole in my heart. And why did they decide to destroy it? Because it would be "too expensive" to fix it up properly. Well look how much they're (over-)spending to replace it with a tunnel. With a fraction of that money they could have easily rebuilt the viaduct.

:redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

#4 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:42 PM

California's high-speed rail boondoggle is a $100 billion bullet train to nowhere. Gov. Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown promised a 2020 completion date for the miracle transportation system. The latest estimates predict it won't open until at least 2033, and the costs keep rising.

Governor Scott saved Florida taxpayers from this millstone, even with tons of political pressure to cave. The feds then threw the couple/few billion that they were dangling as bait over to California... where everything Scott warned of is happening.

Thank you SENATOR Scott. :banana:

It is SOOOOOOOO nice to say that since it also means... :flash: :party: :flash: no more Senator Nelson. :flash: :party: :flash:

(still celebrating) :D

#5 User is offline   Timothy 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:29 AM

View Postgrimreefer, on 12 January 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

They sure love honoring themselves. :rolleyes:

New rule: No dedicating to or naming things after a living politician. Must be dead for at least 50 years before consideration.

No living person period.

Case in point: The Lance Armstrong Bikeway in Austin.

#6 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:49 AM

View PostTimothy, on 14 January 2019 - 01:29 AM, said:

No living person period.

Case in point: The Lance Armstrong Bikeway in Austin.

Even better. :thumbsup:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users