Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: PC student tests forbid dance, dinos & lots more - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PC student tests forbid dance, dinos & lots more Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gertie Keddle 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

PC student tests forbid dance, dinos & lots more

By YOAV GONEN, Education Reporter
Last Updated: 10:46 AM, March 26, 2012
Posted: 2:41 AM, March 26, 2012
NY Post
Excerpt:

In a bizarre case of political correctness run wild, educrats have banned references to “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” “Halloween” and dozens of other topics on city-issued tests.

That’s because they fear such topics “could evoke unpleasant emotions in the students.”

Dinosaurs, for example, call to mind evolution, which might upset fundamentalists; birthdays aren’t celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses; and Halloween suggests paganism.

Even “dancing’’ is taboo, because some sects object. But the city did make an exception for ballet.

The forbidden topics were recently spelled out in a request for proposals provided to companies competing to revamp city English, math, science and social-studies tests given several times a year to measure student progress.

“Some of these topics may be perfectly acceptable in other contexts but do not belong in a city- or state-wide assessment,” the request reads.

Words that suggest wealth are excluded because they could make kids jealous. Poverty is likewise on the forbidden list.

Also banned are references to divorces and diseases, because kids taking the tests may have relatives who split from spouses or are ill.

Officials say such exclusions are normal procedure.

“This is standard language that has been used by test publishers for many years and allows our students to complete practice exams without distraction,” said a Department of Education spokeswoman, insisting it’s not censorship.

In fact, sensitivity guidelines recently published by a group of states creating new high-stakes exams also caution against mentioning luxuries, group dancing, junk food, homelessness or witches.

Yet a comparison shows the city’s list, at 50 topics, is nearly twice as long and has fewer exceptions.

The city asks test companies to exclude “creatures from outer space,” celebrities and excessive TV and video-game use — items that are OK elsewhere.

Homes with swimming pools and computers are also unmentionables here — because of economic sensitivities — while computers in the school or in libraries are acceptable.

City officials also specified that test makers shouldn’t include items that are potentially “disrespectful to authority or authority figures,” or give human characteristics to animals or inanimate objects.

Terrorism is deemed too scary. Slavery is also on the forbidden list.

Article

Remind me, which amendment contained the right not to be offended?

#2 User is offline   Jamescush 

• Winter Is Coming
  • Group: Silver

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostGertie Keddle, on 27 March 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Even “dancing’’ is taboo, because some sects object. But the city did make an exception for ballet.

Taste my dancing you fools!!!!! :hairpull:

#3 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I saw this on Fox News and all I have to say is :wtf:

#4 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

So they don't want to offend anyone in the world with any topic. So is the only question on the test "What is your name and birthdate"?

#5 User is online   swede1962 

• Look, Ma! I'm a Wag-Toon!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Sad. I remember one of my favority math word problems as a sixth grader-"If 60 dinosaurs were dancing during a Halloween Celebration, and 1/3 fell into the large outdoor pool, 1/4 took a break to fix a home computer, and 1/6 decided to play cowboys and Indians, how many are left to celebrate Bob's Birthday?"

#6 User is offline   Jeffersonfan 

• Unalienable...that which cannot be given or taken away.
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

One of our homeschool workbooks in 7th grade had the most depressing sentences: people breaking legs, falling off the roof, and crashing their cars. It became amusing for my stepson and actually made him look forward to doing English.

BTW, we called it English, back then, not Language Arts, like they do today.

#7 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostGertie Keddle, on 27 March 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Remind me, which amendment contained the right not to be offended?

And how about the right to not be taught anything?

B)

#8 User is offline   Bubbajoebob 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Even if you think dancing is immoral, don't celebrate birthdays or Halloween, etc., part of being educated is knowing that such things exist.

#9 User is offline   WarDog 

• I'm Not Confused...I Just Need More Answers!
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

View Postswede1962, on 27 March 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

Sad. I remember one of my favority math word problems as a sixth grader-"If 60 dinosaurs were dancing during a Halloween Celebration, and 1/3 fell into the large outdoor pool, 1/4 took a break to fix a home computer, and 1/6 decided to play cowboys and Indians, how many are left to celebrate Bob's Birthday?"

15, and I don't think you can say Bob either as it might remind someone of their armless and legless relative trying to swim in the outdoor pool at the private mansion.

#10 User is offline   MADGestic 

• Trey Dae d’lea
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

View Postswede1962, on 27 March 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

It's a trick question; dinosaurs don't dance... but they rap.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users