Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: A night to Remember - RightNation.US

A night to Remember Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

View Postpict, on 16 April 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Yup.

In my world we have incidences of hi insight showing people knew better but ignored, and why in the hell didn't you check all the time.

IE, Trauma Center One has all there Primary Phone Lines through big telecom.
So, in an effort to have a backup Trauma Center One goes with little Telecom One.

But, Big Telecom One owns all the connections going into the Hospital Anyways.
And, Trauma Center One never told Little Telecom One that they where to be a backup or that there was any one else in the mix.

We see this all the time.
Where the backup company still uses the primary company at some point and when the primary crashes everything goes down anyways.

Oki

#122 User is offline   mazing_lilman 

• <no title>
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

View Postjames t kirk, on 16 April 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

It's interesting people on this thread posting things like,

If she was welded.

If she had radar

If she had bow trusters

Two words.........

Costa Concordia

She had all of the above and whole lot more and look what happened. First line of defence - a skilled captain.

Posted Image

Actually CPT Smith was very experienced, with decades on the water, a royal naval reserve commission and he was the commodore of the white star line whom had never had any difficulties at sea.

all of which worked precisely against him on the night of 14 apr 1912.

#123 User is online   pict 

• If you expect a PC response, forget it!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

View Postoki, on 17 April 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

In my world we have incidences of hi insight showing people knew better but ignored, and why in the hell didn't you check all the time.

IE, Trauma Center One has all there Primary Phone Lines through big telecom.
So, in an effort to have a backup Trauma Center One goes with little Telecom One.

But, Big Telecom One owns all the connections going into the Hospital Anyways.
And, Trauma Center One never told Little Telecom One that they where to be a backup or that there was any one else in the mix.

We see this all the time.
Where the backup company still uses the primary company at some point and when the primary crashes everything goes down anyways.

Oki
My experience of when things go worng, is it's usually somthing simple which is the main issue. It's seldom complicated and it's usually perpetuated by nobody stopping a series of events.

#124 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

View Postpict, on 17 April 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

My experience of when things go worng, is it's usually somthing simple which is the main issue. It's seldom complicated and it's usually perpetuated by nobody stopping a series of events.

In mine it can be something simple, but the bigger the outage more often than not the more complicated the trouble.
And in many cases it's multiple issues.
IE f'ng tree rat chews through a fiber optic cable. This causes both fiber optic and other equipment to go into standby or protect route mode.
Turns out one standby card is bad or, you leased the standby fibers from a company that in turn leased it from the same people you got the normal active path fibers from.

I won't name companies, but a small mom and pops telco gets there primary internet feed through company A
They bought a secondary feed through another company, who guess what? Get's it from company A.
Granted the larger telco stress redundancy and such, but if they should fail both feeds go down.
Ironically, the smaller telco was never really told this by the secondary provider nor did they think to ask.

Oki

#125 User is offline   james t kirk 

• <no title>
  • Group: Gold

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostBuckwheat Jones, on 16 April 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

watching this right now:

They're inputting all of the relevant data into a simulator to see what happens with a real live human at the wheel.

Very cool documentary.

#126 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

View Postjames t kirk, on 17 April 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Very cool documentary.

Wasn't it though? I've been fascinated by this ever since I was a kid. I've seen just about every documentary on this ever filmed. First time I have ever heard someone say that they could not have shut the turbines down in enough time to get the screws going the other way, so the Reverse theory (if this captain is right) goes out the window. It seems that the speed was the discerning factor, and if he'd slowed by half he could have gotten around the berg. But he didn't because he knew that getting into port late would wreck a lot of plans and piss a lot of people off. Whether or not Ismay held his feet to the fire is an open question, but as captain, the final decision was his.

#127 User is offline   The-Stig 

• <no title>

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostMr. E. Monkey, on 16 April 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Beam me up.

congrats, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that :woohoo:

#128 User is offline   Mr. E. Monkey 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • Group: Silver

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostThe-Stig, on 18 April 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

congrats, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that :woohoo:

I'm only surprised I was the first to comment on it. :D

#129 User is offline   mattdad 

• <no title>

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

Posted Image

With all due respect to the true victims and survivors...

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users