Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Global warming skeptics as knowledgeable about science as climate chan - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Global warming skeptics as knowledgeable about science as climate chan Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The Dark Lord is not pleased
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Global warming skeptics as knowledgeable about science as climate change believers, study says

By Maxim Lott
Published May 28, 2012
FoxNews.com

Are global warming skeptics anti-science? Or just ignorant about science? Maybe neither. A study published Sunday in the journal Nature Climate Change finds that people who are not that worried about the effects of global warming tend to have a slightly higher level of scientific knowledge than those who are worried, as determined by their answers to questions like:
"Electrons are smaller than atoms -- true or false?”

"How long does it take the Earth to go around the Sun? One day, one month, or one year?"

“Lasers work by focusing sound waves -- true or false?”

The quiz, containing 22 questions about both science and statistics, was given to 1,540 representative Americans. Respondents who were relatively less worried about global warming got 57 percent of them right, on average, just barely outscoring those whose who saw global warming as a bigger threat. They got 56 percent of the questions correct.

"As respondents’ science literacy scores increased, their concern with climate change decreased," the paper, which was funded by the National Science Foundation, notes.

Yale Law Professor Dan Kahan, the lead author of the study, cautioned that the survey results are not evidence for or against climate change.
"This study is agnostic on what people ought to believe," he told FoxNews.com. "It just doesn’t follow to say this finding implies anything about what people should believe on this issue."

Kahan said that he thought another finding of the study was more important: That people’s cultural views – how much they value things like individualism and equality -- affect their views on global warming much more than actual knowledge about science. Regardless of how much they know about science, individualists were relatively unconcerned about global warming, whereas those who value equality were very concerned.

Both sides of the global warming debate say the study's findings support their views. Those who worry about global warming say it shows that cultural biases blind even smart people to the “scientific consensus.”

"Kahan’s research is so interesting,” Aaron Huertas, a spokesman for the Union of Concerned Scientists, told FoxNews.com. “Over the last few years, the policy issues surrounding climate change have become increasingly politicized, and that’s bleeding over into people’s perceptions of climate science.”

"What we need to remember is that we have a number of excellent non-partisan scientific resources… [They] all tell us that human activity is altering the climate in ways that are disruptive to our economy and way of life."

But some of the 16 scientists who signed a letter this January titled "No Need to Panic About Global Warming" disagree.

Dr. Richard Lindzen, Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at MIT, was one skeptical scientist who signed the letter. He said that the finding that skeptics know as much or more about science surprised him "not at all."
"MIT alumni are among my most receptive audiences," he added.

Link
Yet another meme down the crapper :whistling:

Note the last line in particular.

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 28 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

#2 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

Studies have shown that the derp is strong with libs.

#3 User is offline   Oathtaker 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

Not sure if you have ever seen this site:Global Warming Petition Project

#4 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostOathtaker, on 28 May 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

Not sure if you have ever seen this site:Global Warming Petition Project

thank you! no, I hadn't.

I will forward to a number of scientists & engineers that I know

#5 User is offline   Oathtaker 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostHowsithangin, on 28 May 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

thank you! no, I hadn't.

I will forward to a number of scientists & engineers that I know

Glad I could help.

Please forward it to everyone you know.

People need to understand that there are skeptics within the science "community".

Nothing is settled.

#6 User is offline   LongKnife 

• I'll take fries with that....to go.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Someone needed a study to know this? I would have to question their level of knowledge.

#7 User is offline   GrimV 

• <no title>

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 28 May 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

Regardless of how much they know about science, individualists were relatively unconcerned about global warming, whereas those who value equality were very concerned.

Hardly surprising, since those "who value equality" view Global Cooling Global Warming Climate Change Climate Catastrophe Climate Uncertainty as a means to redistribute wealth. It's all they care about. They don't care about "science", they care about redistributing wealth. Global Warming is just their excuse. Think about it: If this were truly about "science", they wouldn't have to rebrand it every few years.

Actually, forget rebranding, if this were truly about science, you'd never hear the words "Settled Science" or "The Debate is Over".

The debate is never over. The Scientific Method is built that way. For good reason.

#8 User is offline   Unicron3 

• <no title>
  • Group: 500+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostGrimV, on 29 May 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

Hardly surprising, since those "who value equality" view Global Cooling Global Warming Climate Change Climate Catastrophe Climate Uncertainty as a means to redistribute wealth. It's all they care about. They don't care about "science", they care about redistributing wealth. Global Warming is just their excuse. Think about it: If this were truly about "science", they wouldn't have to rebrand it every few years.

Actually, forget rebranding, if this were truly about science, you'd never hear the words "Settled Science" or "The Debate is Over".

The debate is never over. The Scientific Method is built that way. For good reason.

Amen to the Scientific Method (which is taught in Highschool). I say this all the time to "non-science" people (accountants, skilled labor, etc). Nothing is EVER proven. Gravity has not been "proven." We just have not been able to disprove current theories. True men and women of science know this.

#9 User is offline   MADGestic 

• Trey Dae dílea
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Or to put it another way:

Public Apathy Over Climate Change Unrelated to Science Literacy

Somehow I don't think that tribalism's triumph over rationality should be cause for celebration.

:coolshades:

#10 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostMADGestic, on 29 May 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Somehow I don't think that tribalism's triumph over rationality should be cause for celebration.

The curious thing about internet forums is that people can type whatever kind of bogus crap they feel like because they feel protected by a veil of anonymity. Like you just demonstrated.

Doesn't look like you made the 56% cut on the left side.

#11 User is offline   De Oppresso Liber 

• With Liberty and Justice for All...
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PostMADGestic, on 29 May 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

It is so cute when you adhere to a belief that completely goes against the grain of the scientific method, and believe you are the "Rational" one.

#12 User is offline   MADGestic 

• Trey Dae dílea
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

Although preliminary and not yet replicated, the research is an intriguing insight into the confluence of science, politics, and human nature. It's so sad that I have to look elsewhere for serious discussion.

#13 User is offline   MADGestic 

• Trey Dae dílea
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Ummm... since I'm learning that folks can't always tell when I'm joking... uhh... I am. :)

#14 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostMADGestic, on 30 May 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

Ummm... since I'm learning that folks can't always tell when I'm joking... uhh... I am. :)

It's pretty telling about you that no one can tell the difference.

#15 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostMADGestic, on 30 May 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

I'd hoped so. ;)

The climate change myth and evolution are two subjects that we have beaten to death, at length, on several occasions.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users