RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Deportation Fears Stop Some LA County Immigrants From Applying For EBT - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deportation Fears Stop Some LA County Immigrants From Applying For EBT Program Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• ~***~
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

Deportation Fears Stop Some LA County Immigrants From Applying For EBT Program

Los Angeles Daily News
By Susan Abram
Updated: 05/11/17, 12:57 PM PDT

Excerpt:

Some Los Angeles County immigrants who are eligible for food assistance programs are staying away because they fear enrollment will hurt their chances of becoming a permanent U.S. citizen or even lead to deportation, county officials said Wednesday.

The annual CalFresh Awareness campaign was launched this month by Los Angeles County’s Department of Public Social Services. The program helps low-income families and individuals buy fresh food with an Electronic Benefit Transfer or EBT card in stores, farmers markets and participating restaurant chains. U.S. citizens and legal residents are eligible to apply for the CalFresh program.

But many who qualify are staying away. The reason, officials say, is the term “public charge.” A public charge is a non-U.S. citizen who is likely to become dependent on public assistance, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. There are many factors that are considered, but if a person is deemed a public charge, he or she may be disqualified from becoming a citizen and ultimately deported.

“One of the barriers that we encounter is the misunderstanding of a public charge,” said Carlos Portillo, human services administrator for Los Angeles County’s Department of Public Social Services.

“We have been conducting the CalFresh awareness for the last seven years, and this particular program is not considered public charge,” he added. “That’s one of the issues we’re trying to address.

Examples of who may be considered as public charge are people who need cash assistance or those who need long-term care at government expense, but again, “receipt of such benefits must still be considered in the context of the totality of the circumstances before a person will be deemed inadmissible on public charge grounds,” according to federal immigration officials.

*snip*

Full Story

#2 User is offline   intotheblackhole 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

This is good stuff. Now we need to make sure that they understand the if they apply for a job they might get deported.

#3 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

The ONLY reason they are hesitating is because they know that they are NOT in compliance with immigration law and they know that they will face the consequences of those violations of our laws.

Slather euphemisms and double speak all over the article, the fact stands out loud and clear.

#4 User is online   corporal_little 

• What is your major malfunction....

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

I guess they're not that hungry...

#5 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:36 PM

Win-Win :thumbsup:

#6 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:24 AM

So if you will recall, California (a crap hole I grew up in) tells us that illegals are more valuable because they provide us with more than they take out. So now we get California actually admitting in a public forum that illegals are actually massive consumers of tax assistance in the US. 30 years ago, this revelation would have brought out the pitchforks and torches. Today, we bring out sympathy? What the hell is wrong with people? Illegals have NO RIGHT being in this country, they have NO RIGHT to work in this country and they damn sure have NO RIGHT to gain public assistance in this country.

#7 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:31 AM

Sounds like a win to me.

#8 User is online   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

Adios muchachos.

#9 User is offline   ASE 

• You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:47 AM

They use the word 'immigrants'. I don't think that word means what they think it means. I think they meant to say: 'Illegal aliens'.

#10 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Got Wiener?
  • Group: Silver

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Awwwww. Thas too bad.

#11 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

View PostASE, on 13 May 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

They use the word 'immigrants'. I don't think that word means what they think it means. I think they meant to say: 'Illegal aliens'.

Welcome to newspeak.

#12 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

:welldone:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users