RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: High School Takes Back Yearbooks With 'Build That Wall,' - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High School Takes Back Yearbooks With 'Build That Wall,' Other Inappropriate Quotes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• ~***~
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

High School Takes Back Yearbooks With 'Build That Wall,' Other Inappropriate Quotes

The Charlotte Observer
By Chris Cioffi
May 10, 2017 5:49 PM

Excerpt:

ROCKINGHAM, N.C.

All of the yearbooks that had been distributed at the Richmond Early College High School near Rockingham have been taken back by the school after some senior quotes were deemed controversial, the school system says.

Graduating students at the 10-year-old school, which has 259 students, were allowed to share a quote under their picture in the yearbook. After the book was published, officials in the school and district administration found several of the quotes inappropriate, including one credited to President Trump, said district spokeswoman Ashley-Michelle Thublin.

The Trump quote, which said “Build that wall,” has been slammed on social media by some students and others who called it racist and hurtful to classmates, some of whom are minorities. After RECHS announced on its Facebook page that it had discovered the errors and the inappropriate comments, many people voiced their opinions both for and against the decision to cancel the book.

*snip*

Only 22 yearbooks had been pre-ordered, and only a handful had been distributed before the quotes were discovered by Principal Tonya Waddell, Thublin said. Those were taken back the same morning, and the rest were not distributed, she said.

None of the students were disciplined for the quotes, Thublin said. The school and district administration felt several of the quotes submitted by students were inappropriate, Thublin said.

Specific examples were not provided.

*snip*

Full Story

#2 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostLiz, on 12 May 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

Specific examples were not provided.

Just one: "Build That Wall". :rolleyes:

How many of you provided an outrageous or just plain stupid quote for your high school yearbook? Especially as a senior prank.

These kids will remember their school as a bunch of humorless, dry old farts. Hopefully, the kids won't want to be a part of it after they graduate. What a great teachable moment. Perhaps I should be thanking the censors.

This post has been edited by gravelrash: 12 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

#3 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 12 May 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

How many of you provided an outrageous or just plain stupid quote for your high school yearbook? Especially as a senior prank.

These kids will remember their school as a bunch of humorless, dry old farts. Hopefully, the kids won't want to be a part of it after they graduate. What a great teachable moment. Perhaps I should be thanking the censors.

We printed the word "Ape<censored>" on the back page of ours. Backwards. In Vivaldi Script. Took three days for anybody to figure it out. My class spent the entire night cutting out 500 copies of that page. Had to burn them. But....school archivist had me slide one pristine copy under his door.

"Gotta have one for the archives," he said with a wink.

Good old Fr. Ralph. :)

#4 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Was the great wall of China built due to racism, or was it built to protect their lands? I don't see anyone claiming that China doesn't have a right to protect their borders.

#5 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

And Winston shoves another pile of books down the memory hole. How amazingly Orwellian.

#6 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

Sometimes thinking that something is insensitive is more often than not insensitive. Build that wall could mean anything, maybe a Trump quote, maybe something else. Why do others assume that it was meant to hurt Hispanic/Latino students? Couldn't it have been something else? It would depend on why the student did this and if he really meant this to slur Hispanic/Latino students. If not then there is a form of racism that is quite subtle, but it is there.

Let me explain. Say someone were to use the quote from above. Why do many assume that it even had to do with Latinos? It could have been a wall built at school or a revolt against the principal for being a jerk, I don't know. What I find insensitive is that there should be a belief that all Latino students should be offended because of a quote that we attribute to Donald Trump, but what was the context. The point is, stereotypes and assumptions about a group can be just as racist as words.

#7 User is offline   intotheblackhole 

• <no title>

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

How is building a wall racist??????

Once again the left proves just how ignorant they are.

#8 User is online   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

View PostDiamond369, on 12 May 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

Let me explain. Say someone were to use the quote from above. Why do many assume that it even had to do with Latinos?

Who do you think the wall would be intended to keep out? Canadians?

#9 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

View PostLongKnife, on 12 May 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

Mongol hordes.

These students were having a bit of fun. Without reading what the other quotes were, we're not getting any context. Whether there was an inside joke or mean spirit, we don't know. Since high school seniors are involved, most likely the former.

What I do know is that the "adults" in this case are telling students that pranks are verboten. Kids who probably laugh at Family Guy, think Lena Dunham is a comic genius, and watch The Daily Show for current events. The school didn't teach these kids to find humor in things. They programmed these kids to be angry SJWs and are covering their failure by confiscating the yearbooks.

#10 User is online   Adam Smithee 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 12 May 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

How many of you provided an outrageous or just plain stupid quote for your high school yearbook?
Especially as a senior prank.

"Disco sucks"

#11 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

Maybe they all were Pink Floyd/Roger Waters fans? :nanner:

#12 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

View PostSeverian, on 12 May 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Maybe they all were Pink Floyd/Roger Waters fans? :nanner:

"We don't need no ed-u-cay-shun!"

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 12 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

#13 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 12 May 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

"We don't need no ed-u-cay-shun!"

All we need is thought control! Derp.

#14 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

View PostLiz, on 12 May 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

All of the yearbooks that had been distributed at the Richmond Early College High School near Rockingham have been taken back by the school after some senior quotes were deemed controversial,

Da Comrade, we must remove all language not approved by MiniTru

So this is what this nation has come to?

View PostSeverian, on 12 May 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

All we need is thought control! Derp.

:thumbsup:

#15 User is offline   Alexis 

• <no title>

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

Why would the students return it? I would have held on to it. What could the school do to them? Would the school have searched their house? They've already graduated.

#16 User is online   Adam Smithee 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

View PostAlexis, on 14 May 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Why would the students return it? I would have held on to it. What could the school do to them? Would the school have searched their house? They've already graduated.

Depends on how it was quoted. Thinking way back to several decades into a prior century, I recall that there were quotes you could have published under your name that EVERYBODY saw... and then there were things you could write yourself in your friends' yearbooks etc. I'll assume they're talking about the former; how would they even know about the latter?

Yeah, there's "Leverage" if they wanted to play hard-ass and do a mass-recall of all published yearbooks.

Looking up this year's schedule of my HS: Last day of school is (Wednesday) May 24. Graduation is (Saturday evening) June 3rd. In between is a week and a half during which you're supposed to return all textbooks, all library books, pay any library fines, cafeteria fees, club dues, whatever. Otherwise you don't "graduate".

#17 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

Can't send it back, my dog ate it. Derp. There was a tornado! Locusts! An infestation of book worms! It's not my fault!!!

#18 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

View PostDiamond369, on 12 May 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

Sometimes thinking that something is insensitive is more often than not insensitive. Build that wall could mean anything, maybe a Trump quote, maybe something else. Why do others assume that it was meant to hurt Hispanic/Latino students? Couldn't it have been something else? It would depend on why the student did this and if he really meant this to slur Hispanic/Latino students. If not then there is a form of racism that is quite subtle, but it is there.

Let me explain. Say someone were to use the quote from above. Why do many assume that it even had to do with Latinos? It could have been a wall built at school or a revolt against the principal for being a jerk, I don't know. What I find insensitive is that there should be a belief that all Latino students should be offended because of a quote that we attribute to Donald Trump, but what was the context. The point is, stereotypes and assumptions about a group can be just as racist as words.

There were some incidents of students chanting "build that wall" at visiting teams of Latino volleyball and basketball players. There were also some alleged chants of "build that wall" by students after Trump won.

Personally I think they should leave the quotes as stated, for posterity.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 15 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

#19 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostLongKnife, on 12 May 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

Interesting you asked that. I know that Canada is an ally of the US, but there is a point that I need to make. Why is it that the wall is not as fortified even though there is or could be a possibility that there are those of the criminal and terrorist element that probably would take advantage of the unfortified border and hurt US just like those from South of the Border such as the criminals who are deported from those lands?

This post has been edited by Diamond369: 15 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users