RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Rand Paul: Sessions' sentencing plan would ruin lives - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rand Paul: Sessions' sentencing plan would ruin lives Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

Rand Paul: Sessions' sentencing plan would ruin lives

By Rand Paul
Updated 1:09 PM ET, Mon May 15, 2017

(CNN)The attorney general on Friday made an unfortunate announcement that will impact the lives of millions of Americans: he issued new instructions for prosecutors to charge suspects with the most serious provable offenses, "those that carry the most substantial guidelines sentence, including mandatory minimum sentences."

Mandatory minimum sentences have unfairly and disproportionately incarcerated a generation of minorities. Eric Holder, the attorney general under President Obama, issued guidelines to U.S. Attorneys that they should refrain from seeking long sentences for nonviolent drug offenders.

I agreed with him then and still do. In fact, I'm the author of a bipartisan bill with Senator Leahy to change the law on this matter. Until we pass that bill, though, the discretion on enforcement -- and the lives of many young drug offenders -- lies with the current attorney general

The attorney general's new guidelines, a reversal of a policy that was working, will accentuate the injustice in our criminal justice system. We should be treating our nation's drug epidemic for what it is -- a public health crisis, not an excuse to send people to prison and turn a mistake into a tragedy.

And make no mistake, the lives of many drug offenders are ruined the day they receive that long sentence the attorney general wants them to have.

If I told you that one out of three African-American males is forbidden by law from voting, you might think I was talking about Jim Crow 50 years ago.
Yet today, a third of African-American males are still prevented from voting, primarily because of the War on Drugs.

The War on Drugs has disproportionately affected young black males.
The ACLU reports that blacks are four to five times likelier to be convicted for drug possession, although surveys indicate that blacks and whites use drugs at similar rates. The majority of illegal drug users and dealers nationwide are white, but three-fourths of all people in prison for drug offenses are African American or Latino.

The San Jose Mercury News reviewed nearly 700,000 criminal cases that were matched by crime and criminal history of the defendant. Their analysis showed that whites of similar situation were far more successful in the plea bargaining process and "virtually every stage of pretrial negotiation" than their African-American and Latino counterparts.

<snip>

Link

War on drugs goes on.

#2 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Yep, until the drugs surrender!

#3 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

View PostLadybird, on 15 May 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

The majority of illegal drug users and dealers nationwide are white, but three-fourths of all people in prison for drug offenses are African American or Latino.

More misleading propaganda from liberals.

The majority of drug users/dealers are white because the majority of the United States is white. If you look at it as a percentage of each race, blacks are far and away the drug leaders.

#4 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

View PostNatural Selection, on 15 May 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

More misleading propaganda from liberals.

The majority of drug users/dealers are white because the majority of the United States is white. If you look at it as a percentage of each race, blacks are far and away the drug leaders.

What angers me is the libtard judges and politicians releasing violent felons as they look at the "plea-bargained" sentence that leaves out the worst offenses. Then the felon gets out and commits another crime and the same circus happens again. Our justice system is swamped with so many cases that plea bargaining happens way too often for serious crimes. People don't land up in jail for simple possession of a joint-most of those were plea bargained large scale dealers, some with violent actions plea bargained away.

#5 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 15 May 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

What angers me is the libtard judges and politicians releasing violent felons as they look at the "plea-bargained" sentence that leaves out the worst offenses. Then the felon gets out and commits another crime and the same circus happens again. Our justice system is swamped with so many cases that plea bargaining happens way too often for serious crimes. People don't land up in jail for simple possession of a joint-most of those were plea bargained large scale dealers, some with violent actions plea bargained away.

I suspect a lot of that plea bargaining is the result of bribes being passed to the judge via the lawyer(s). Too bad Trump can't replace every single judge in the country that he deems unfit. That would go a long ways towards making America great again.

#6 User is online   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 15 May 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

That just happened in Boston. An African immigrant was charged with murdering two doctors. He was released a few months ago for robbing a bank. He had pasted a note to the teller saying if the money was not passed over he was going to kill everyone int the bank. The judge reduced the charges because the man was not violent. He got a sentence more in line with a shoplifter. The judge also only sentenced him to 364 days so he would not get deported.

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

View PostJoe the Pagan, on 15 May 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

That just happened in Boston. An African immigrant was charged with murdering two doctors. He was released a few months ago for robbing a bank. He had pasted a note to the teller saying if the money was not passed over he was going to kill everyone int the bank. The judge reduced the charges because the man was not violent. He got a sentence more in line with a shoplifter. The judge also only sentenced him to 364 days so he would not get deported.

Guess there's no mandatory minimum for bank robbers.

#8 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostLadybird, on 15 May 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

Guess there's no mandatory minimum for bank robbers.

or murder

#9 User is offline   AnnieGotHerGun 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

Rand Paul is proving he's part of the problem. They want light sentences for these criminals so their family life won't be destroyed? These criminals destroyed their family life when they chose to become a criminal. One of the reasons crime has risen so is they aren't worried about the light sentences.

I'm all for the strictest sentence possible. I'm not talking about a little girl stealing a pair of shoes because he little sister had none. I'm talking about the assualts, the drug selling, the rapes. How many times have we seen these liberal judges give a slap on the wrist and then go about their happy little lives while the criminal is grinning from ear to ear free to harm again. How about these cyber attacks? Find those suckers, lock 'em up, force them the show us what they know by whatever means necessary, all from the privacy of their 6x10 room.

Will strict sentencing deter crimes? In some cases, yes. In some, no. But these mamby-pamby sentences being handed down certainly don't, they encourage future criminal activity. I'm just sick of all this crap.

#10 User is offline   intotheblackhole 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:04 AM

Enforce US gun laws to the max. That will cut down on the gang murders.

It is crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment for anyone to alter a semi-automatic firearm to make it fire fully automatically.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment for anyone to possess such an altered semi-automatic firearm.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment for anyone to trade or sell such an altered semi-automatic firearm.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment for a convicted felon to possess a any firearm.
The use of a firearm in a violent or drug-trafficking crime is punishable by a five-year mandatory prison sentence. A second conviction brings a 20-year mandatory sentence or life imprisonment without parole if the firearm is a machine gun or is equipped with a silencer.
It is a crime punishable by a mandatory 15-year imprisonment for a criminal with three prior violent or drug-related felonies to possess any firearm.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment to transfer a firearm knowing that it will be used to commit a violent or drug-trafficking crime.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment to transport or receive firearms or ammunition in interstate commerce with intent to commit a felony.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment to shorten the barrel(s) of a shotgun to less than 18" or a rifle to less than 16".
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment to travel from one state to another and acquire, or attempt to acquire, a firearm with the intent to use it in a violent felony.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment to alter the serial number of a firearm regulated by the National Firearms Act.
It is a crime punishable with 5-years imprisonment to possess a firearm with an altered serial number (or with 10-years imprisonment if the firearm is regulated by the National Firearms Act).

#11 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:09 AM

View Postintotheblackhole, on 16 May 2017 - 12:04 AM, said:

Enforce US gun laws to the max. That will cut down on the gang murders.

It is crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment for anyone to alter a semi-automatic firearm to make it fire fully automatically.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment for anyone to possess such an altered semi-automatic firearm.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment for anyone to trade or sell such an altered semi-automatic firearm.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment for a convicted felon to possess a any firearm.
The use of a firearm in a violent or drug-trafficking crime is punishable by a five-year mandatory prison sentence. A second conviction brings a 20-year mandatory sentence or life imprisonment without parole if the firearm is a machine gun or is equipped with a silencer.
It is a crime punishable by a mandatory 15-year imprisonment for a criminal with three prior violent or drug-related felonies to possess any firearm.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment to transfer a firearm knowing that it will be used to commit a violent or drug-trafficking crime.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment to transport or receive firearms or ammunition in interstate commerce with intent to commit a felony.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment to shorten the barrel(s) of a shotgun to less than 18" or a rifle to less than 16".
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment to travel from one state to another and acquire, or attempt to acquire, a firearm with the intent to use it in a violent felony.
It is a crime punishable with 10-years imprisonment to alter the serial number of a firearm regulated by the National Firearms Act.
It is a crime punishable with 5-years imprisonment to possess a firearm with an altered serial number (or with 10-years imprisonment if the firearm is regulated by the National Firearms Act).

We already do prosecute gun crimes to the max, particularly with gang members and drug dealers.

#12 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

I wonder if drugs were legal. What would all the drug dealers do for money? Work, as in a job?

#13 User is offline   intotheblackhole 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

View PostModerator T, on 16 May 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

We already do prosecute gun crimes to the max, particularly with gang members and drug dealers.

Not really. I follow cases where people were arrested with illegal guns and several of them were felons. There is no federal prosecution of these folks, and is all handled by the states. Many times they are sentenced to prison but released early due to overcrowding. As long as it was a non-violent crime, like felon in possession of a firearm they don't consider that violent.

A recent case in point. A 29-year-old felon was arrested for distributing marijuana (6 pounds). He had an illegal weapon and was charged with distributing marijuana, and felon in possession of a firearm. He pled down to distribution of marijuana and got 18 months probation. It was all handled by the state, and no feds were involved. The gun was stolen, attempts have been made to remove the serial number, and he was a felon in possession. All three of those will get 10 years for each charge at the federal level.

#14 User is offline   Censport 

• @CensportRacing

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

The War on Drugs has disproportionately affected young black males.

A friend is a DEA agent. According to him, under the Obama administration, black defendants weren't prosecuted unless there was no way to avoid it. If prosecution was unavoidable, minimum bail/sentencing was recommended. Us honkies? Standard rates applied.

View Posttailgunner, on 16 May 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

I wonder if drugs were legal. What would all the drug dealers do for money? Work, as in a job?

I think I've read at least one news article where legal marijuana farms have been caught trafficking people. It seems they need farm hands and don't want to pay the market rate.

#15 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

Every drug purchase is tied in part to some criminal violence. I would try to prosecute everyone (buyers and sellers) under the RICO act, the buyers will give up the sellers, the sellers will give up the suppliers, etc.... That is extreme, I know......but we have to get it under control.

At the same time, marijuana needs to be legalized in some form or fashion. God didn't put it on the Earth without a reason. Just like with poppies (the type used for opium), there are legitimate uses if controlled properly.

#16 User is offline   USNJIMRET 

• Rule 1:The Chief is right Rule 2:If in doubt, check Rule 1
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:38 PM

View PostModerator T, on 16 May 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Bull Crap!
I don't remember the exact percent, but...

Several years ago when the Denver DA was running for Governor of Colorado, I researched his "conviction" rate. It was 90%+

Which surprised the hell out of me, considering the amount of crime, and repeat criminals, in the greater Denver area.

So I researched some more and found that his rate was in line with that of the US DOJ, 90%+.

But just a little bit more research found that the large percent was achieved, at the National/Federal and State/local level by plea bargaining!

These A-Holes, local, state and federal, all brag about their conviction rates, but never want to admit that they get that rate by rarely charging criminals with their most serious crimes!
Much, MUCH, easier to get a conviction if the bad guy cops a plea to a lesser charge.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users