RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: UK: 'Moors Murderer' Ian Brady dies aged 79 - RightNation.US

UK: 'Moors Murderer' Ian Brady dies aged 79 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

BBC News

(excerpt)

'Moors Murderer Ian Brady, who killed five children with Myra Hindley, has died aged 79.

A Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust spokesman said: "We can confirm a 79-year-old patient in long term care at Ashworth High Secure Hospital has died after becoming physically unwell."

The serial killer was jailed for three murders in 1966.

Brady had been held at Ashworth Hospital, a secure psychiatric unit in Merseyside, since 1985.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-39929538

This post has been edited by scotsman: 15 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

#2 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

Obituary: Ian Brady

'Few killers achieved the notoriety or attracted as much public loathing as the so-called "Moors Murderer", Ian Brady, who has died at the age of 79.

Over a period of 18 months in the 1960s, Brady and his accomplice, Myra Hindley, kidnapped and murdered five children in north-west England. The bodies of three of their victims were later found buried on Saddleworth Moor near the Lancashire town of Oldham.

The details of the crime shocked the nation, not least because Brady's accomplice was a woman, and also because of the complete lack of remorse either showed during the subsequent trial.

Brady was born Ian Stewart on 2 January 1938, the illegitimate son of a Scottish waitress. His violent personality was shaped by an unstable background. His mother neglected him and he was raised by foster parents in the Gorbals, Glasgow's toughest slum.

After a spree of petty crime as a teenager the courts sent him to Manchester to live with his mother and her new husband, Patrick Brady. He assumed his stepfather's name, continued his criminal activities and developed into a fully-fledged teenage alcoholic.

By now he had acquired new interests, building up a library of books on Nazi Germany, sadism and sexual perversion. He first met Hindley when she worked as a secretary at the company where they were both employed. For Hindley it was love at first sight. Brady impressed her by reading Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf in the original German.

As their relationship developed, they began taking obscene photographs of each other before turning their attention to kidnapping, child molestation and murder.

Between July 1963 and December 1964, 16-year-old Pauline Reade, 12-year-old John Kilbride and Keith Bennett, also 12, were reported missing, all in the Manchester area.
Another victim - Lesley Ann Downey, 10 - disappeared on 26 December 1964.

Authorities were baffled by what they referred to as the "unrelated" cases, and were left without a single piece of solid evidence. In the meantime, Brady and Hindley were intent on a campaign to corrupt Hindley's brother-in-law, David Smith, and recruit him into their circle.

A petty criminal with convictions of his own, Smith was amused when the conversation turned to murder; he questioned Brady's ability to follow it through. On 6 October 1965, Brady offered a practical demonstration with Edward Evans, a homosexual teenager, striking him 14 times with a hatchet before strangling him.

Horrified, Smith phoned the police the next morning, directing them to Brady's address.

The officers caught Brady and Hindley at home, retrieving a fresh corpse from the bedroom, along with the bloody hatchet and Brady's library of volumes on perversion and sadism.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12735333

This post has been edited by scotsman: 15 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

#3 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

Like almost all British people, I utterly loath the man. A loathsome human being. And I use that term loosely.

Brady and Hindley were arguably the worst serial killers that Britain has (thankfully in small numbers) produced, perhaps even worse than serial child-killer Robert Black, Dennis Nilsen (Britain's most profilic), and the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe. They didn't just murder children, it was the sadism and torture of their deaths. The Lesley Anne Downie tape is so horrific and shocking, it will NEVER be released to the public domain. Only those in court in 1966 and a few academics have ever heard it. Only the transcript has ever been released, and its horrific enough. Brady and Hindley were the first modern British serial killers, the UK had never seen killers like them, who tortured and murdered children, and they are still utterly loathed over 50 years later.

May they rot in hell.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 15 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

#4 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

For Hindley it was love at first sight. Brady impressed her by reading Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf in the original German.

Apparently it doesn't take much to impress her.

<_<

#5 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

View Postscotsman, on 15 May 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

Like almost all British people, I utterly loath the man. A loathsome human being. And I use that term loosely.

Brady and Hindley were arguably the worst serial killers that Britain has (thankfully in small numbers) produced, perhaps even worse than serial child-killer Robert Black, Dennis Nilsen (Britain's most profilic), and the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe. They didn't just murder children, it was the sadism and torture of their deaths. The Lesley Anne Downie tape is so horrific and shocking, it will NEVER be released to the public domain. Only those in court in 1966 and a few academics have ever heard it. Only the transcript has ever been released, and its horrific enough. Brady and Hindley were the first modern British serial killers, the UK had never seen killers like them, who tortured and murdered children, and they are still utterly loathed over 50 years later.

May they rot in hell.

Why I strongly favor the death penalty and wish it could be done quicker. :redhot:

#6 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:03 PM

View Postscotsman, on 15 May 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

May they rot in hell.

All those years the S.O.B. spent in prison was still longer then all the victims spent on earth. Much less all the money that could have been better spent. I could not favor the death penalty if life in Prison was such a hell that people only lasted 10 years or so, BUT, on average many live longer in prison then their victims where on this earth. That just ain't right.

Oki

#7 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

View Postscotsman, on 15 May 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

Obituary: Ian Brady

'Few killers achieved the notoriety or attracted as much public loathing as the so-called "Moors Murderer", Ian Brady, who has died at the age of 79.

Over a period of 18 months in the 1960s, Brady and his accomplice, Myra Hindley, kidnapped and murdered five children in north-west England. The bodies of three of their victims were later found buried on Saddleworth Moor near the Lancashire town of Oldham.

The details of the crime shocked the nation, not least because Brady's accomplice was a woman, and also because of the complete lack of remorse either showed during the subsequent trial.

Brady was born Ian Stewart on 2 January 1938, the illegitimate son of a Scottish waitress. His violent personality was shaped by an unstable background. His mother neglected him and he was raised by foster parents in the Gorbals, Glasgow's toughest slum.

After a spree of petty crime as a teenager the courts sent him to Manchester to live with his mother and her new husband, Patrick Brady. He assumed his stepfather's name, continued his criminal activities and developed into a fully-fledged teenage alcoholic.

By now he had acquired new interests, building up a library of books on Nazi Germany, sadism and sexual perversion. He first met Hindley when she worked as a secretary at the company where they were both employed. For Hindley it was love at first sight. Brady impressed her by reading Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf in the original German.

As their relationship developed, they began taking obscene photographs of each other before turning their attention to kidnapping, child molestation and murder.

Between July 1963 and December 1964, 16-year-old Pauline Reade, 12-year-old John Kilbride and Keith Bennett, also 12, were reported missing, all in the Manchester area.
Another victim - Lesley Ann Downey, 10 - disappeared on 26 December 1964.

Authorities were baffled by what they referred to as the "unrelated" cases, and were left without a single piece of solid evidence. In the meantime, Brady and Hindley were intent on a campaign to corrupt Hindley's brother-in-law, David Smith, and recruit him into their circle.

A petty criminal with convictions of his own, Smith was amused when the conversation turned to murder; he questioned Brady's ability to follow it through. On 6 October 1965, Brady offered a practical demonstration with Edward Evans, a homosexual teenager, striking him 14 times with a hatchet before strangling him.

Horrified, Smith phoned the police the next morning, directing them to Brady's address.

The officers caught Brady and Hindley at home, retrieving a fresh corpse from the bedroom, along with the bloody hatchet and Brady's library of volumes on perversion and sadism.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12735333

What happened to David Smith?

#8 User is offline   Kilmerfan 

• Ah hell I still like Mel.
  • Group: Silver

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:05 PM

About time, rot in Hell.

#9 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

I don't know how well known The Moors Murders/Murderers (Brady and Hindley) are in the US.

In fact, bar Jack the Ripper, I am not sure how well known any British serial killer is in America and Canada. The Yorkshire Ripper, Robert Black, Dennis Nilsen, John Christie.......

This post has been edited by scotsman: 16 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

#10 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

View Postzurg, on 15 May 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

What happened to David Smith?

Wikipedia:

'David Smith became "reviled by the people of Manchester", despite having been instrumental in bringing Brady and Hindley to justice.[198] While her sister was on trial, Maureen—eight months pregnant—was attacked in the lift of the building in which she and David lived. Their home was vandalised, and hate mail was regularly posted through their letterbox. Maureen feared for her children: "I couldn't let my children out of my sight when they were little. They were too young to tell them why they had to stay in, to explain why they couldn't go out to play like all the other children."[199]

After knifing another man during a fight, in an attack he claimed was triggered by the abuse he had suffered since the trial, Smith was sentenced to three years in prison in 1969.[198] That same year his children were taken into the care of the local authority. His wife Maureen moved from Underwood Court to a single-bedroom property, and found work in a department store. Subjected to whispering campaigns and petitions to remove her from the estate where she lived, she received no support from her family—her mother had supported Myra during the trial. On his release from prison, David Smith moved in with the girl who became his second wife and won custody of his three sons. Maureen managed to repair the relationship with her mother, and moved into a council property in Gorton. She divorced Smith in 1973,[200] and married a lorry driver, Bill Scott, with whom she had a daughter.[201]

Maureen and her immediate family made regular visits to see Hindley, who reportedly adored her niece. In 1980 Maureen suffered a brain haemorrhage; Hindley was granted permission to visit her sister in hospital, but she arrived an hour after Maureen's death.[202] Sheila and Patrick Kilbride, who were by then divorced,[203] were present at Maureen's funeral, believing that Hindley might make an appearance. Patrick Kilbride mistook Bill Scott's daughter from a previous relationship, Ann Wallace, for Hindley and tried to attack her before being knocked to the ground by another mourner; the police were called to restore order.[204] Shortly before her death at the age of 70 Sheila Kilbride said: "If she [Hindley] ever comes out of jail I'll kill her."[205] It was a threat repeated by her son Danny, and Ann West.[206][207]

In 1972 David Smith was acquitted of the murder of his father, who had been suffering from an incurable cancer. Smith pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to two days' detention.[208] He remarried and moved to Lincolnshire with his three sons,[198][209] and was exonerated of any participation in the Moors murders by Hindley's confession in 1987. He died in Ireland in 2012.[210}'

#11 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

View Postscotsman, on 16 May 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

I don't know how well known The Moors Murders/Murderers (Brady and Hindley) are in the US.

In fact, bar Jack the Ripper, I am not sure how ell known any British serial killer is in America and Canada. The Yorkshire Ripper, Robert Black, Dennis Nilsen, John Christie.......

Well I'd heard of the Yorkshire Ripper, but probably only because of the similarity in name to Jack the Ripper.

:shrug:

#12 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

View PostBookdoc, on 15 May 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Why I strongly favor the death penalty and wish it could be done quicker. :redhot:

Ironically, we still had the death penalty technically in 1965-66, but in 65 it had been suspended. Brady and Hindley COULD have been hung, but it would have taken a parliamentary vote to lift the suspension OR an override by the Justice or Home Secretary. The UK death penalty for murder was finally abolished in 1969, and all death penalties in 1998.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 16 May 2017 - 06:59 AM

#13 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 16 May 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

Well I'd heard of the Yorkshire Ripper, but probably only because of the similarity in name to Jack the Ripper.

:shrug:

How could I have missed Fred and Rose West, they were only caught in the 90s. I should post a list of infamous UK serial killers/murderers and people here can answer yes/no to whether they have heard of them. Perhaps later, for now lets concentrate on the victims of the Moors Murders and the evil of the two 'human beings' who committed them.

#14 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

I enjoy true crime stories, but never heard of this one. It's too depraved and gruesome, and the victims too young, even for the movie people to take up apparently.
May he roast in hell with his partner in crime.

#15 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

I had heard of this pair, but only through having had an interest in the Sex Pistols when I was in my teens. The two were referenced on a song called "No One is Innocent", which the guitarist and drummer of the Sex Pistols recorded with someone named Ronnie Biggs singing the lead (Ronnie Biggs is another criminal famous to the British but whom Americans would have no reason to know from Adam; he was a minor figure in something called "The Great Train Robbery" and was a fugitive for decades, living in Brazil and other places.). Anyway, the lyric was "God save Myra Hindley, God save Ian Brady, even though he's horrible and she ain't what you call a lady" and I decided to look up who they were. Cavorting with a fugitive train robber and blessing child murderers was Malcolm McLaren's way of trying to keep the Sex Pistols' relevant once John Lydon/Johnny Rotten left the band, apparently.

#16 User is online   SARGE 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

View Postscotsman, on 16 May 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

In fact, bar Jack the Ripper, I am not sure how well known any British serial killer is in America and Canada. The Yorkshire Ripper, Robert Black, Dennis Nilsen, John Christie.......

I'm familiar with Brady and Hindley and also Peter Sutcliffe (The Yorkshire Ripper}, but I'll have to search the others.

Sad how much press Brady is getting in the UK. The scum should be gone and forgotten.

#17 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 16 May 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

I had heard of this pair, but only through having had an interest in the Sex Pistols when I was in my teens. The two were referenced on a song called "No One is Innocent", which the guitarist and drummer of the Sex Pistols recorded with someone named Ronnie Biggs singing the lead (Ronnie Biggs is another criminal famous to the British but whom Americans would have no reason to know from Adam; he was a minor figure in something called "The Great Train Robbery" and was a fugitive for decades, living in Brazil and other places.). Anyway, the lyric was "God save Myra Hindley, God save Ian Brady, even though he's horrible and she ain't what you call a lady" and I decided to look up who they were. Cavorting with a fugitive train robber and blessing child murderers was Malcolm McLaren's way of trying to keep the Sex Pistols' relevant once John Lydon/Johnny Rotten left the band, apparently.

I love the Pistols (listen to their early bootlegs, they are as tight as hell). But the 1978 period, the band became a sad shambles. Ronnie Biggs and tasteless crap like the Hindley-Brady lyrics were why John Lydon walked away. He refused to meet Ronnie Biggs and indulge in tacky PR stunts to save a failing band.

#18 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

I should post a list of infamous UK serial killers/murderers and people here can answer yes/no to whether they have heard of them. Perhaps later, for now lets concentrate on the victims of the Moors Murders and the evil of the two 'human beings' who committed them.

As enough time has passed, here goes.

1950s:

Peter Manuel (American born Scottish serial killer of at least 7)

John '10 Rillington Place' Christie (made famous by classic 1971 film with Richard Attenborough)

1960s:

Ian Brady and Myra Hindley

1970s:

Peter Sutcliffe
(The Yorkshire Ripper, killed at least 13 girls and women in Northern England from 1975-1981)

Fred and Rose West (killed numerous young women/girls between 1973 and 1979, usually runaways, also two of their own children in 1972 and 1987 and Fred's first wife in 1967). Arrested in 1994. Their infamous house, 25 Cromwell St in Gloucester, was found to have many bodies in the garden, and a soundproofed torture chamber. Eventually flattened by local council after Fred hung himself in jail and Rose was given a whole life tariff in 1995.

1980s:

Dennis Nilsen (Scottish serial killer who murdered at least 15 young gay men in the late 70s until 1983). Officially the UK's most prolific serial killer.

Robert Black (Scottish child killer who murdered at least 4 little girls between 1981-86, suspected of many more child murders in UK, Ireland and Europe, dating from the late 60s to late 80s)

2000s:

Peter Wright (Ipswich killer of five prostitutes in 2006)

This post has been edited by scotsman: 21 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

#19 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

I've heard of John Christie, but probably only because of the Richard Attenborough movie.

And as I said in an earlier post, I've also heard of The Yorkshire Ripper (Peter Sutcliffe), but probably only because of the similarity in moniker to Jack the Ripper. Everybody's heard of Jack the Ripper, of course.

B)

#20 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

I didn't expect people in the US/Can to have heard of Brady and Hindley, as it was the 60s, and most here weren't born or were just kids.

I thought some would remember The Yorkshire Ripper and perhaps Fred and Rose West in the 90s.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users