RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: School: Offering to pray for a colleague is unacceptable - RightNation.US

School: Offering to pray for a colleague is unacceptable Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:28 AM

School: Offering to pray for a colleague is unacceptable

Fox News
Todd Starnes
May 16, 2017

A school worker in Augusta, Maine was ordered to stop using religious phrases like “I will pray for you” and “You were in my prayers” because such language is not allowed inside a public school building – even in private conversations with coworkers.

The Augusta School Department launched an investigation of Toni Richardson after they alleged she “imposed some strong religious/spiritual belief system” towards a coworker.

Now, imposing your religion on someone is a serious allegation. Was Ms. Richardson forcing her coworker to convert to Christianity? Did she attempt to baptize him against his will?

It turned out to be nothing of the sort.

According to an official memorandum from the school district, Ms. Richardson had told a colleague that she was going to pray for him. It just so happens that Ms. Richardson and the colleague attended the same church.

Back in 2016, the colleague had been having a difficult time adjusting to his new job and Ms. Richardson did what most Christians would do – she told him that she would be praying for him.

Months later, the colleague and Ms. Richardson had a falling out – leading to the complaint about the prayers.

The district sent Ms. Richardson a “coaching memorandum” – warning her that such language is not acceptable – “even if that other person attends the same church as you.”

She was not even allowed to use the word “blessing.”

“In the context of the ‘separation of church and state,’ this case prohibits public school-sponsored religious expression,” the memo read. “Therefore, in the future, it is imperative that you do not use phrases that integrate public and private belief systems when in the public schools.”

She was also specifically ordered not to make any “reference to your spiritual or religious beliefs.”

The district warned her that any additional infractions could lead to disciplinary action or dismissal.

Story

Is liberalism a mental disorder? Yes, it is.

#2 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Got Wiener?
  • Group: Silver

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

Satan's minions continue their work unabated, it seems.

#3 User is offline   De Oppresso Liber 

• Illuminaughty
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Tell them to pound sand. If they act on this, then she will be able to show damage against her, and she should be able to sue them for civil rights violations.

Saying "I will pray for you" or "Bless you" do not establish any religion. She never mentioned who or what she was praying to. Those are generic phrases that could be used by any religion.

#4 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Got Wiener?
  • Group: Silver

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

View PostDe Oppresso Liber, on 17 May 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Tell them to pound sand. If they act on this, then she will be able to show damage against her, and she should be able to sue them for civil rights violations.

Saying "I will pray for you" or "Bless you" do not establish any religion. She never mentioned who or what she was praying to. Those are generic phrases that could be used by any religion.

I'm reminded of another exhaustive thread that goes on and on about what the framer's meant in regards to all the words they didn't use in an Amendment. Seems to me, by the same argument, that if they intended us to be a "religion free" society, they would have spelled it out explicitly, no?

#5 User is offline   De Oppresso Liber 

• Illuminaughty

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 17 May 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

I'm reminded of another exhaustive thread that goes on and on about what the framer's meant in regards to all the words they didn't use in an Amendment. Seems to me, by the same argument, that if they intended us to be a "religion free" society, they would have spelled it out explicitly, no?

Yeah, I wonder if that newly formed stalwart of Constitutionalism will weigh in on this one.

#6 User is offline   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 17 May 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

I would think so, considering that several of them attended worship services that were held within the House of Representatives. They must not have had too big a problem with it.

#7 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

What about Phu Q.......is that ok with the school?

My apologies for that. Obviously he needs the prayers, so she either needs to keep it to herself or she needs to reword it so that it meets their guidelines........but still bugs the crap out of him.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the letter sent to Toni Richardson included the statements:

Therefore, in the future, it is imperative you do not use phrases that integrate public and private belief systems when in public schools.

Going forward, I expect when you disagree with a staff member, you will address it in a discrete and professional manner with no reference to your spiritual or religious beliefs.

So basically, if you can't prove it, don't talk about it. As a public teacher, you are hired to teach XYZ.........so don't integrate your private belief system of ABC into XYZ. If she can't speak about her beliefs, then he better not say one word about his political beliefs. Anytime the a-hole that complained about her said ANYTHING that wasn't a proven fact and part of his professional curriculum, I would report him. If she can't "integrate public and private belief systems", then nobody can.

This post has been edited by Dutch13: 17 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

#8 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

The muslim lounge will open shortly.

#9 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

View PostLongKnife, on 17 May 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

Fox News
Todd Starnes
May 16, 2017

A school worker in Augusta, Maine was ordered to stop using religious phrases
like “I will pray for you” and “You were in my prayers” because such language is not allowed inside a public school building – even in private conversations with coworkers.

I dare them to tell a muslim worker that.

I DOUBLE DOG dare them.

We Christians need to learn that while the good book tells us to "turn the other cheek", that doesn't mean bending over and taking it between the cheeks.

#10 User is offline   ThePatriot 

• Warpaint
  • Group: Gold

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

She should take it a step further and sue the school district for violating her constitutional rights.

#11 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostDe Oppresso Liber, on 17 May 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Yeah, I wonder if that newly formed stalwart of Constitutionalism will weigh in on this one.

LOL. It would sure be entertaining, but I ain't gonna hold my breath.

:no:

And yeah, I agree with previous posters - Suppose she'd said "I'll pray to Allah for you", would they still be making this big fuss?

I rather doubt it.

<_<

#12 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

Months later, the colleague and Ms. Richardson had a falling out – leading to the complaint about the prayers.

So the colleague turned a personal vendetta into school policy. What a f'ing loser. The Augusta School Department is also a bunch of f'ing losers for being party to it.

This post has been edited by gravelrash: 17 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

#13 User is offline   De Oppresso Liber 

• Illuminaughty

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostThePatriot, on 17 May 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

She should take it a step further and sue the school district for violating her constitutional rights.

Yup. Even better if she can show "Damage" done to herself from their unconstitutional policy.

All too often we see similar cases where the school bleats out some nonsense about "Miscommunication" and that they will review their policies. If she lets them act on it, then she has them.

#14 User is online   SARGE 

• <no title>

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostThePatriot, on 17 May 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

View PostDe Oppresso Liber, on 17 May 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

Yup. Even better if she can show "Damage" done to herself from their unconstitutional policy.

All too often we see similar cases where the school bleats out some nonsense about "Miscommunication" and that they will review their policies. If she lets them act on it, then she has them.

I hope she does.

We are at this point because of the Left's use of the courts.

Turn it on them.

#15 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

When one of the teachers died suddenly (murdered) my 6th grade English teacher pulled a few of us aside after class, those he could trust, and he shut the door and we recited the 23rd Psalm. No problem..

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 17 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

#16 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

Fox News
Todd Starnes
May 16, 2017

A school worker in Augusta, Maine was ordered to stop using religious phrases like “I will pray for you” and “You were in my prayers” because such language is not allowed inside a public school building – even in private conversations with coworkers.

The Augusta School Department launched an investigation of Toni Richardson after they alleged she “imposed some strong religious/spiritual belief system” towards a coworker.

Now, imposing your religion on someone is a serious allegation. Was Ms. Richardson forcing her coworker to convert to Christianity? Did she attempt to baptize him against his will?

It turned out to be nothing of the sort.

According to an official memorandum from the school district, Ms. Richardson had told a colleague that she was going to pray for him. It just so happens that Ms. Richardson and the colleague attended the same church.

Back in 2016, the colleague had been having a difficult time adjusting to his new job and Ms. Richardson did what most Christians would do – she told him that she would be praying for him.

Re-reading this, and reading the linked memo in the above link. I STRONGLY get the sense that there's more than meets the eye.

Reading the memo, There's apparently a 'history' between Ms. Richardson and Mr. ███████ going back at least as far as when she complained about him. As such, I am mindful that while the phrase "I'm going to pray for you" is generally innocuous, there's ways it can be said and then there's ways it can be said. It can be said helpfully, such as at a funeral, or it can be said snarkily such as to mean, "I'm gonna pray for your sorry ass, you stupid SOB."

(And I'm not sure how to pronounce the name of the other guy. Is it "Mr. ███████" with an obstruent █ or a sonorant █ ?)

#17 User is offline   polkman 

• <no title>

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

View PostAdam Smithee, on 17 May 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

Re-reading this, and reading the linked memo in the above link. I STRONGLY get the sense that there's more than meets the eye.

Reading the memo, There's apparently a 'history' between Ms. Richardson and Mr. ███████ going back at least as far as when she complained about him. As such, I am mindful that while the phrase "I'm going to pray for you" is generally innocuous, there's ways it can be said and then there's ways it can be said. It can be said helpfully, such as at a funeral, or it can be said snarkily such as to mean, "I'm gonna pray for your sorry ass, you stupid SOB."

(And I'm not sure how to pronounce the name of the other guy. Is it "Mr. ███████" with an obstruent █ or a sonorant █ ?)

While there may be more to the story (I understand you mean to say she isn't a pure innocent here), most adults can settle their differences without trying to get the school board involved. The policy is frankly unconstitutional. Teachers do not have to leave their faith at the school building parking lot. Children tattle on each other, not teachers.

#18 User is offline   BT3 

• President Trump. Say it! SAY IT!

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

View PostLadybird, on 17 May 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

When one of the teachers died suddenly (murdered) my 6th grade English teacher pulled a few of us aside after class, those he could trust, and he shut the door and we recited the 23rd Psalm. No problem..

You are brave.

#19 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

View Postpolkman, on 17 May 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

While there may be more to the story (I understand you mean to say she isn't a pure innocent here), most adults can settle their differences without trying to get the school board involved. The policy is frankly unconstitutional. Teachers do not have to leave their faith at the school building parking lot. Children tattle on each other, not teachers.

True. But I'm just getting a feeling that this is such a longstanding feud that maybe it HAS devolved to the level of children tattling on one another.

(Memories of about 8 YO in the back seat of an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser on the long trips between Ohio and Indiana: "Dad! Greta's looking at me." "Mom! He poked me". "Did not" "Did so" "Did not" "Did so".)

There comes a point where an adult needs to say "Don't make me stop this car". Maybe that's what the memo tried to do, however misguided it may have been.

#20 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

What if they offer to turn towards Mecca first? <_<

View PostLadybird, on 17 May 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users