RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Democrat Ralph Northam Wins Virginia Governor Race, NBC News Projects - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Democrat Ralph Northam Wins Virginia Governor Race, NBC News Projects Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

  • 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 46,891
  • Joined: 28-February 03

  Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:13 PM

Democrat Ralph Northam Wins Virginia Governor Race, NBC News Projects

NBC News
by Alex Seitz-Wald
Nov 7 2017, 9:00 pm

Excerpt:

FAIRFAX, Va. — Democrat Ralph Northam defeated Republican Ed Gillespie in the Virginia governor race on Tuesday, according to an NBC News projection.

With 88 percent of the vote in, Northam had 53 percent and Gillespie trailed with 46 percent. Gillespie called Northam to concede, sources said.

Both national parties spent millions of dollars in the first major election since President Donald Trump's surprise victory last year and were closely watching the outcome as an early barometer of the political climate ahead of next the 2018 midterm contests.

Northam, an Army veteran and pediatric neurologist who serves as the state's lieutenant governor, had sometimes struggled to highlight his ad-ready biography as the race descended into a nasty culture war.

He got a major boost from the support of popular term-limited Democratic Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, who handed his successor a strong economy and an electorate that told pollsters they believe the state is on the right track.

Gillespie, a former lobbyist and Republican National Committee chairman, responded to a near-loss in the GOP primary against a Trump-aligned challenger earlier this year by taking a hard right turn on immigration and Confederate monuments.

According to NBC News exit polling data, 60 percent of Virginia voters said the monuments to Confederate leaders should be left in place, while 36 percent said that statues on government property should be removed.

*snip*

Full Article
0

#2 User is offline   Moderator T 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 35,772
  • Joined: 02-October 03

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:15 PM

The Dems have replaced a Dem with another Dem and will declare this as proof that they can defeat Trump
0

#3 User is offline   ilja 

  • Go ahead, read my mind!!!
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator
  • Posts: 36,942
  • Joined: 20-July 03

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

Isn't Virginia special! And they were talking about it being the only Southern state Trump lost. I bet if they had a referendum on if they could stop being categorized as a Southern state, the referendum would pass. :lol:
0

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 10,649
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

Va. House of Delegates: Dems unseat GOP in slew of races; Roem will become first transgender House member

November 7, 2017 7:00 pm
UPDATED: 9:11 p.m.

WASHINGTON — Democratic challengers have picked up a slew of seats in Virginia’s House of Delegates Tuesday, unseating longtime Republican incumbents, including a staunchly conservative Prince William County lawmaker and a member of the House GOP leadership.

In one of the most closely watched races, Democrat Danica Roem, a local journalist, defeated Republican Del. Bob Marshall in Virginia’s 13th District, which includes parts of Prince William County and Manassas Park. Roem, who carried 54 percent of the vote with 19 of 20 precincts reporting, makes history as the first openly transgender elected official in Virginia history.

Roem made transportation improvements, including widening lanes and removing stoplights on Route 28 in Centreville, a key part of her campaign. But her gender identity drew national attention to the race. Marshall, who introduced Virginia’s version of the so-called “bathroom bill,” refused to debate Roem and referred to her using male pronouns.

In another upset, Lee Carter, a Navy veteran and IT specialist, unseated Republican Del. Jackson Miller, a member of GOP leadership in Richmond, in the 51st District, which also includes parts of Prince William County.

<snip>

Link

:salute:
0

#5 User is online   Howsithangin 

  • I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 24,898
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:27 PM

View PostLadybird, on 07 November 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Va. House of Delegates: Dems unseat GOP in slew of races; Roem will become first transgender House member

November 7, 2017 7:00 pm
UPDATED: 9:11 p.m.

WASHINGTON — Democratic challengers have picked up a slew of seats in Virginia’s House of Delegates Tuesday, unseating longtime Republican incumbents, including a staunchly conservative Prince William County lawmaker and a member of the House GOP leadership.

In one of the most closely watched races, Democrat Danica Roem, a local journalist, defeated Republican Del. Bob Marshall in Virginia’s 13th District, which includes parts of Prince William County and Manassas Park. Roem, who carried 54 percent of the vote with 19 of 20 precincts reporting, makes history as the first openly transgender elected official in Virginia history.

Roem made transportation improvements, including widening lanes and removing stoplights on Route 28 in Centreville, a key part of her campaign. But her gender identity drew national attention to the race. Marshall, who introduced Virginia’s version of the so-called “bathroom bill,” refused to debate Roem and referred to her using male pronouns.

In another upset, Lee Carter, a Navy veteran and IT specialist, unseated Republican Del. Jackson Miller, a member of GOP leadership in Richmond, in the 51st District, which also includes parts of Prince William County.

<snip>

Link

:salute:

Prince William County has been on the verge of becoming part of Greater DC for some time. The GOP had demographics working against them. And then there are the thousands of illegals in that part of the state (I lived in Sterling-Reston for a few years. Downtown Herndon was essentially Guadalajara).

With Northern VA essentially DC at this point, I think it suffice to state that is now a Blue State. Sad.
0

#6 User is online   Howsithangin 

  • I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 24,898
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:36 PM

From the article: "That seemed to help Northam: A majority of people who voted for him — 57 percent — said that health care was their No. 1 concern, while Gillespie's voters turned out for a variety of reasons, including immigration and taxes. "

The GOP had damned-well better pull its head out of its bottom orifice and fix the current health debacle, or you can kiss this sh** goodbye! :redhot:
0

#7 User is offline   grinder71 

  • <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor
  • Posts: 132
  • Joined: 31-May 09

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:39 PM

No surprise there. Virginia is full of uncultured swine.
0

#8 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 46,698
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:25 AM

It's a shame Northam's contemptible smear campaign against Gillespie was successful.

<_<
0

#9 User is online   zurg 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 21,545
  • Joined: 19-October 09

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:42 AM

View PostLadybird, on 07 November 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Va. House of Delegates: Dems unseat GOP in slew of races; Roem will become first transgender House member

:salute:

You chose to end with a salute to the flag, so I guess part of your message is that helping illegals is patriotic.
0

#10 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

  • <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor
  • Posts: 954
  • Joined: 05-June 15

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

Once again, the SJWs in NOVA elect another SJW. The unionized Federal Government parasites in NOVA win again.
0

#11 User is offline   erp 

  • Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 34,472
  • Joined: 29-November 03

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:23 AM

The media will use this a precursor to next years midterm.

They now have a whole year to beat this drum.

However, twelve months is a long time in politics. But if Trump can't rally the GOP, this might be what happens in 2018.

This is not Trumps strong suit.
0

#12 User is offline   PoliticallyUnstable 

  • <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor
  • Posts: 1,035
  • Joined: 26-February 04

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

So I see two stories here. First:

2013 Virginia governor: D +2.5
2016 Virginia president: D +5
2017 Virginia governor: D +9

That's not just a demographic shift. We see the Democrat winning by a little in an off-year, more in a Presidential election, and more - a lot more - this year, another off year, just one year after the 2016 Presidential election.

The other story is in the state House of Delegates, which has 100 seats. As of this morning it appears that Democrats have picked up SIXTEEN to split the chamber 50-50. When recounts are over they may control it outright (one Republican won by 86 votes, although there are other races that Democrats won by as narrow a margin, so it's fluid).

So this isn't a story of a Democrat replacing a Democrat, or a Democrat smearing a Republican. This is a story of Democrats crushing Republicans up and down the ballot.
0

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 10,649
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

View Postzurg, on 08 November 2017 - 04:42 AM, said:

You chose to end with a salute to the flag, so I guess part of your message is that helping illegals is patriotic.

Huh?

I salute bigotry not ruling the day, for example the Roem win over Marshall.
0

#14 User is online   Howsithangin 

  • I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 24,898
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostLadybird, on 08 November 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

Huh?

I salute bigotry not ruling the day, for example the Roem win over Marshall.

I haven't been paying attention to that race.

Was Marshall a bigot, or are we always supposed to cheer when someone from a minute, disaffected demographic wins as proof if "bigotry not ruling the day", proof that whether or not the persyn is qualified, they're a XXXX, and that's all that matters. Just curious
0

#15 User is online   Howsithangin 

  • I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 24,898
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

View PostPoliticallyUnstable, on 08 November 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

although there are other races that Democrats won by as narrow a margin, so it's fluid).


gender-fluid or just the normal fluid? That's important, ya know

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 08 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

0

#16 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 10,649
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:05 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 08 November 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

I haven't been paying attention to that race.

Was Marshall a bigot, or are we always supposed to cheer when someone from a minute, disaffected demographic wins as proof if "bigotry not ruling the day", proof that whether or not the persyn is qualified, they're a XXXX, and that's all that matters. Just curious


Marshall once referred to himself as chief homophobe. I'm amazed this person served 20 some odd years. As noted above, he refused to debate Roem and his campaign hilighted the transgender issue.
0

#17 User is offline   ThePatriot 

  • Warpaint
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 26,361
  • Joined: 17-August 03

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:55 AM

View PostPoliticallyUnstable, on 08 November 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

So I see two stories here. First:

2013 Virginia governor: D +2.5
2016 Virginia president: D +5
2017 Virginia governor: D +9

That's not just a demographic shift. We see the Democrat winning by a little in an off-year, more in a Presidential election, and more - a lot more - this year, another off year, just one year after the 2016 Presidential election.

The other story is in the state House of Delegates, which has 100 seats. As of this morning it appears that Democrats have picked up SIXTEEN to split the chamber 50-50. When recounts are over they may control it outright (one Republican won by 86 votes, although there are other races that Democrats won by as narrow a margin, so it's fluid).

So this isn't a story of a Democrat replacing a Democrat, or a Democrat smearing a Republican. This is a story of Democrats crushing Republicans up and down the ballot.

There is no story here - that's the only story.

This would only be news if the Republican won.

I understand why Democrats are celebrating, though - they finally managed to hold on to a governorship.

For them, that's an amazing accomplishment.
0

#18 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

  • <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor
  • Posts: 954
  • Joined: 05-June 15

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

View Postgrinder71, on 07 November 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

No surprise there. Virginia is full of uncultured swine.



Case in point: the "it" elected to the 13th district, Danica Roem. Virginia has essentially become the Kalifornia of the east coast. Fruits and nuts are pretty well abundant in Virginia too...

This post has been edited by RedSoloCup: 08 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

0

#19 User is offline   LongKnife 

  • Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 2,842
  • Joined: 10-November 04

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

Quote

Marshall, who introduced Virginia’s version of the so-called “bathroom bill,” refused to debate Roem and referred to her using male pronouns.


I believe a man should be referred to using male pronouns, regardless of how mutilated he may be.
0

#20 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 10,649
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

View PostLongKnife, on 08 November 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

I believe a man should be referred to using male pronouns, regardless of how mutilated he may be.

The only one to make an issue out of Roem’s gender is Marshall. That he was too arrogant, bigoted, or plain chicken<censored> to debate a transgendered person makes his defeat all the sweeter.
0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users