RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Japanese company gives non-smokers 6 extra holiday days a year - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Japanese company gives non-smokers 6 extra holiday days a year to compensate for cigarette breaks Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

Japanese company gives non-smokers 6 extra holiday days a year to compensate for cigarette breaks
Chloe Chaplain
31/10/2017
msn.com

<More Here>

A Japanese company has granted non-smoking members of staff an additional six days of paid holiday a year after they complained they work more than colleagues who take cigarette breaks. Marketing firm Piala Inc. introduced the new policy in September after members of staff expressed frustration over some colleagues going on smoking breaks throughout the day. And since bosses announced the rule two months ago, 30 employees have taken advantage of the extra paid leave.

Hirotaka Matsushima, a spokesman for the company, told The Telegraph: "One of our non-smoking staff put a message in the company suggestion box earlier in the year saying that smoking breaks were causing problems. "Our CEO saw the comment and agreed, so we are giving non-smokers some extra time off to compensate.Ē

(snip)

<More Here>

#2 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:18 AM

Do they have Home Depots in Japan?

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 10 November 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

Do they have Home Depots in Japan?

LOL

And do those extra six days have to spent standing around the dumpsters out back?

;)

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

Nice! Maybe it will spread.

Even when I was a smoker, I never needed it bad enough to huddle outside in sub zero, crappy weather.

Do college dorms still allow smoking?

#5 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

People gotta' understand a few things about Japan. Sadly smoking among adults and even teens is still much more common then here. Not sure why but it's higher then here.

https://blogs.wsj.co...ow-20-in-japan/

The survey found that 19.7% of Japanese adults consider themselves smokers, a decline of 1.2 percentage points from 2013. Roughly 15.3 million men and 5.3 million women in Japan are smokers, the company said.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 18.1% of adult Americans, or approximately 42.1 million people, were cigarette smokers in 2012.

https://www.tobaccor...ing-rate-falls/
The prevalence of smoking among Japanís adult population fell from 19.3 percent in May 2016 to 18.2 percent in May 2017, according to Japan Tobacco Inc.ís annual survey.

https://www.cdc.gov/...oking/index.htm
In 2015, about 15 of every 100 U.S. adults aged 18 years or older (15.1%) currently* smoked cigarettes.

Oki

#6 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

View Postoki, on 10 November 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

People gotta' understand a few things about Japan. Sadly smoking among adults and even teens is still much more common then here. Not sure why but it's higher then here.

The survey found that 19.7% of Japanese adults consider themselves smokers, a decline of 1.2 percentage points from 2013. Roughly 15.3 million men and 5.3 million women in Japan are smokers, the company said.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 18.1% of adult Americans, or approximately 42.1 million people, were cigarette smokers in 2012.

The prevalence of smoking among Japanís adult population fell from 19.3 percent in May 2016 to 18.2 percent in May 2017, according to Japan Tobacco Inc.ís annual survey.

In 2015, about 15 of every 100 U.S. adults aged 18 years or older (15.1%) currently* smoked cigarettes.

Oki

Stress? Iíve never visited, but my friends say that many Japanese work very long hours and have less personal space than we do here. Going outside and grabbing a smoke must be a relief.

#7 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

View PostLadybird, on 10 November 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

Nice! Maybe it will spread.

Even when I was a smoker, I never needed it bad enough to huddle outside in sub zero, crappy weather.

Do college dorms still allow smoking?

LB, I'm old enough to remember smoking being allowed inside my high school. If I had to guess at an answer to your question though, I would have to guess no.

#8 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

View Postoki, on 10 November 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

Oki

Common in The Philippines too, even with very graphic warning labels/pictures. Then again, a pack of smokes there costs the equivalent of about 1.70.

#9 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:19 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 10 November 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

LB, I'm old enough to remember smoking being allowed inside my high school. If I had to guess at an answer to your question though, I would have to guess no.

I remember people smoking in hospitals. It was in the visiting areas (at least in pediatrics), but I do remember the smoke.

I got a new car a few months back. It doesnít have an astray. How do people manage to smoke in their cars these days? My old car was a 2002 and it had an one.

#10 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

View PostLadybird, on 10 November 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

I remember people smoking in hospitals. It was in the visiting areas (at least in pediatrics), but I do remember the smoke.

I got a new car a few months back. It doesnít have an astray. How do people manage to smoke in their cars these days? My old car was a 2002 and it had an one.

When there is no ashtray in the car the road becomes the ashtray.

#11 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

I once got a full physical examination (back in the 70's) where the doctor chain-smoked throughout the whole exam. Right there in the examination room.

And back when I was working at that aeronautical parts factory (in the 80's), nobody ever had to take a "smoke break". When you wanted a cigarette you just lit up right there at your work station and kept working.

B)

#12 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 10 November 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Common in The Philippines too, even with very graphic warning labels/pictures. Then again, a pack of smokes there costs the equivalent of about 1.70.

Crazy in a way, we always have this image of Asian cultures being healthier largely because of lifestyle, not always.

Oki

#13 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostLadybird, on 10 November 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

Stress? Iíve never visited, but my friends say that many Japanese work very long hours and have less personal space than we do here. Going outside and grabbing a smoke must be a relief.

I could tell you stories. Imagine driving and to get home having to pull your mirrors in just to park or make it through.
Power retracting mirrors are an option on most Japanese spec vehicles. Really gets the point across when you see it's even on something the size of a smart car. Smoking though is a bit different, here smoking was long popular, common, cool, etc. In Japan I think it started to take of in the 30's some but really went crazy in the years after WWII.

Know much like here it is on the decline bit by bit, but it's still very common to see a lot of smoking as well in TV and Movies. And yeah, they do work hard and play hard.

Oki

#14 User is offline   Censport 

• @CensportRacing

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostLadybird, on 10 November 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

Job stress is literally a killer in Japan. "Death from overwork" is the phrase. If the heart failure doesn't get you, suicide will. Just got back on Tuesday. Smoking still common, especially with the older generations. Drinking is common with everyone. Most popular stop after work is an izakaya, for a snack (or meal) and a few drinks to unwind. That is if you can leave work before the last train runs.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users