RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Trump thinks Scientology should lose tax-exempt status - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trump thinks Scientology should lose tax-exempt status Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:48 AM

Trump thinks Scientology should lose tax-exempt status

JOHN BOWDEN
The Hill
11/9/17

EXCERPT:

President Trump has thrown his support behind removing the Church of Scientology's tax-exempt status, according to a Huffington Post report.

Twitter messages from a Trump family friend and top official at the Department of Housing and Urban Development claim that Trump and his family "couldn't agree more" that the church should lose its tax-exempt status.

"From The moment I saw your series I told President Trump & his family we needed to revoke their tax exempt status. They couldn’t agree more, but please don’t publicize that yet," Lynne Patton wrote to actress Leah Remini in the messages obtained by HuffPost. “This is going to get done in the next 4 years or I’ll die trying. Knock on wood!”

Patton is a longtime friend and business associate of the Trump family who has worked with the Trumps since 2009. Last year, she spoke in support of Trump at the Republican National Convention in June.

Remini, who starred on the hit series "King of Queens," is behind the Emmy Award-winning show “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath.” The show is a documentary examining the Church of Scientology, which Remini left in 2013, and its alleged abuse of critics.

“I look forward to doing my part to help put an end to this ongoing nightmare and blatant misuse of our IRS rules & regulations," Patton wrote to Remini. "I want to do more research on Scientology’s history with the IRS, to date, so that I can better understand what tactics have been applied and where we can pick up."

(Full Story)

#2 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:47 AM

It's not even a legitimate religion, just a wacko celebutard cult.

Tom Fooze and John Revolta both must be livid over this...

#3 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

The Scientologists have been up to and number of wrongdoings, including against those who've left and/or tried to expose them. Sue and/or prosecute the hell out of the scientologists for THAT, including and 'civil rights' violations.

But - aside from obvious and blatant abuses of IRS 501(c )3 code, such as calling one's self a "church" as tax avoidance - I'm not sure I like the Government being the arbiter of what is or isn't a legitimate "church".

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 11 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

#4 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

Dean Adam Smithee, on 11 November 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

The Scientologists have been up to and number of wrongdoings, including those who've left and/or tried to expose them. Sue and/or prosecute the hell out of the scientologists for THAT, including and 'civil rights' violations.

But - aside from obvious and blatant abuses of IRS 501(c )3 code, such as calling one's self a "church" as tax avoidance - I'm not sure I like the Government being the arbiter of what is or isn't a legitimate "church".

:yeahthat:

As a member of a church that once was under an "extermination order" by the governor of Missouri, I don't know if I like it either.

#5 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

In addition to Scientology and every other scam started by con artists, I think Mosques attended by convicted terrorists should lose their tax-exempt status. That should give the Mosques the incentive they need to cough up the terrorists before they kill anybody.

#6 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostNatural Selection, on 11 November 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

In addition to Scientology and every other scam started by con artists, I think Mosques attended by convicted terrorists should lose their tax-exempt status. That should give the Mosques the incentive they need to cough up the terrorists before they kill anybody.

If I had to pick between this idea and the scientologist idea, I'd go with yours. Scientology extremists jump on tables, Muslim extremists murder people.

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 11 November 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

The Scientologists have been up to and number of wrongdoings, including against those who've left and/or tried to expose them. Sue and/or prosecute the hell out of the scientologists for THAT, including and 'civil rights' violations.

Exactly.
That's a can of worms you may not want opened.

#8 User is offline   ThePatriot 

• Warpaint
  • Group: Gold

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

And yet gov't has to be exactly that - otherwise, anyone or any business could call themselves a "church".

#9 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

Correct me if I am wrong here:

It does seem to me that 'cults' sure like to attract people of means. Those with money, skills, abilities. Those useful for a further goal of some sort or where it's members can help leadership attain power and influence. A Church(no matter religion) is a polar opposite in this regard, all are welcome, there is no preference in regards to wealth or skills. Another key is the relationship between member and leadership, cults require 0 questions loyalty. Churches at least real ones don't.

Oki

#10 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

View Postoki, on 13 November 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

It does seem to me that 'cults' sure like to attract people of means. Those with money, skills, abilities. Those useful for a further goal of some sort or where it's members can help leadership attain power and influence. A Church(no matter religion) is a polar opposite in this regard, all are welcome, there is no preference in regards to wealth or skills. Another key is the relationship between member and leadership, cults require 0 questions loyalty. Churches at least real ones don't.

Oki

I think there are cults that ARE that way. I'm mentioned before that my parents were "Peoples Temple" for a while in the '60s in Indianapolis, BEFORE Jim Jones moved to California then later Guyana. It was MOSTLY middle class, best as I can remember. (I've met Jim Jones, tho I was 6 or 7 at the time).

Later, a cousin who moved from Indiana to California in the '80s/'90s was a member of the (Auralian?)(SP?) Cult. The ones concerned with UFO's and Asteroids and Comets and such. My cousin was DEFINITELY middle class.

Me? Don't worry. If *I* ever start a cult it will probably revolve around naked women. Worship service every sabbath at the local strip club. Bring plenty of small bills as an offering. Because who can look at a well-maintained female form in all it's glory and NOT get all religious about it?

#11 User is offline   Censport 

• @CensportRacing

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 13 November 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

Because who can look at a well-maintained female form in all it's glory and NOT get all religious about it?

George Takei? Just a guess.

I'm all for pulling $cientology's tax exempt status, as well as blatantly political groups and media, such as the SPLC, NAACP, MediaMatters, etc.

#12 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

View PostCensport, on 13 November 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

. . .I'm all for pulling $cientology's tax exempt status, as well as blatantly political groups and media, such as the SPLC, NAACP, MediaMatters, etc.

Me too--can of worms, be damned.

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:10 PM

View Postoki, on 13 November 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

Oki

Some of them do. But some just want numbers.
https://www.rawstory...a-county-clerk/
(the only non-news that cannot be mentioned source)

I did post about this group once before, bringing foreigners and making them work for little to nothing. Apparently they have a court clerk working with them.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 13 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

#14 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

I've seen the Remini expose. I have little sympathy for scientology. If they got their tax status yanked, I would consider it a justice served.

#15 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

View PostThePatriot, on 13 November 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

And yet gov't has to be exactly that - otherwise, anyone or any business could call themselves a "church".

That's an excellent point Patriot.

(Folks, if you say that deciding to call Scientology a non-religion is a worrisome development of the government stepping into the religious arena with decision making power, they're already doing so and no one complains. So adding Scientology to the list of non-religions actually isn't controversial at all. For example, the government calls Islam a religion and bestiality not, as of today.)

#16 User is offline   Censport 

• @CensportRacing

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:19 AM

View Postzurg, on 13 November 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

That's an excellent point Patriot.

(Folks, if you say that deciding to call Scientology a non-religion is a worrisome development of the government stepping into the religious arena with decision making power, they're already doing so and no one complains. So adding Scientology to the list of non-religions actually isn't controversial at all. For example, the government calls Islam a religion and bestiality not, as of today.)

Wait... those aren't the same things? :scratch:

#17 User is online   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:46 AM

:yeahthat: Exactly that. :thumbsup:

#18 User is online   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:48 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 13 November 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

Me? Don't worry. If *I* ever start a cult it will probably revolve around naked women. Worship service every sabbath at the local strip club. Bring plenty of small bills as an offering. Because who can look at a well-maintained female form in all it's glory and NOT get all religious about it?

Both genders, imho. I've mentioned before there are a couple that could possibly turn me :P

We could compare lists, lol

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 14 November 2017 - 12:49 AM

#19 User is offline   tcotrel 

• You know those parking lot attendants....

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:50 AM

This is awkward...
http://www.latimes.c...0119-story.html

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users