RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Hawaii police order marijuana users to ‘voluntarily surrender’ guns an - RightNation.US

Hawaii police order marijuana users to ‘voluntarily surrender’ guns an Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   vectorsrule 

• Fear is excitement in need of an attitude adjustment
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hawaii police order medical marijuana users to ‘voluntarily surrender’ guns and ammo
Jana J. Pruet
The Blaze
11-29-17

Hawaiian police sent medical marijuana users a letter ordering them to “voluntarily surrender” their firearms and ammunition.

According to federal law, patients who use medical marijuana are not allowed to own a gun. Federal law applies even in states that allow the medicinal or recreational use of the drug.

The letter signed by Honolulu Police Chief Susan Ballard says those notified have 30 days from receipt to transfer ownership or turn in weapons and ammunition to the police, Leafly reported.

What does the federal law say?
In 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives issued an open letter to federal firearm licensees stating there are no exceptions to gun laws whether a particular state passes cannabis legalization laws or not. According to the ATF letter:

Link

As was posted in the comments, this is illegal, also if they do this for weed why aren't they doing it for Alcohol. I've never known pot to be associated with violence, booze and violence goes hand in hand. Liberals hate citizens being armed.

This post has been edited by vectorsrule: 29 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

#2 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

Why am I thinking if there was a law requiring anyone with a med marijuana card be checked for their immigration status, they'd be ignoring it? This is just an excuse to go after guns, if it were anything else they'd ignore it.

p.s. link doesn't work.

#3 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

It's as left a state as you can get.

Of course they'll happily divest themselves of their herb and pea shooters... :whistling:

#4 User is online   Tea Party Hooligan 

• I kick puppies

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:34 AM

Who cares? It's only a Federal law, so Hawaii can just ignore it. Claim that they are a Sanctuary State against Federal laws they don't like.

#5 User is offline   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

Link is not functional.

#6 User is offline   vectorsrule 

• Fear is excitement in need of an attitude adjustment
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostLongKnife, on 29 November 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Link is not functional.

Sorry, fixed it.

#7 User is online   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

View Postvectorsrule, on 29 November 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

Hawaii police order medical marijuana users to ‘voluntarily surrender’ guns and ammo
Jana J. Pruet
The Blaze
11-29-17

Hawaiian police sent medical marijuana users a letter ordering them to “voluntarily surrender” their firearms and ammunition.

According to federal law, patients who use medical marijuana are not allowed to own a gun. Federal law applies even in states that allow the medicinal or recreational use of the drug.

The letter signed by Honolulu Police Chief Susan Ballard says those notified have 30 days from receipt to transfer ownership or turn in weapons and ammunition to the police, Leafly reported.

What does the federal law say?
In 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives issued an open letter to federal firearm licensees stating there are no exceptions to gun laws whether a particular state passes cannabis legalization laws or not. According to the ATF letter:

Link

As was posted in the comments, this is illegal, also if they do this for weed why aren't they doing it for Alcohol. I've never known pot to be associated with violence, booze and violence goes hand in hand. Liberals hate citizens being armed.

So pot users are second class citizens?

#8 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

It's not done for alcohol unless someone is convicted of or pleads not guilty to an alcohol-related offense. Even then, seizing firearms is an extreme measure. The system has to prove that the individual is a danger to himself, public safety, or other "just cause" (not "just because"). It can be a drawn out process involving lawyers, mental health professionals, doctors, character witnesses, etc.

Medicinal marijuana is a class above alcohol. Controls are stricter. In some cases, the prescribing physician can recommend or even directly request that a patient have certain privileges, accesses, or even rights restricted while undergoing treatment. That policy has been around long before dispensaries opened their doors.

As for pot never being associated with violence like alcohol? Different drinks affect me in different ways. I avoid vodka and tequila because I become rather "irritable". When I drink scotch, I tend to be amicable. Whiskey makes me frisky. A good bartender knows how to size up a customer and recommend cocktails.

Today's marijuana is nothing like the ditch weed smoked at Woodstock. It has been bred, cross-pollinated, hybridized, strained, spiked, laced, and even run through blenders to make smoothies. While the benefits of medical marijuana are often touted, we are just beginning to see the short-term and long-term effects on the brain and body.

A blanket order by Hawaii's police goes above and beyond even what the ATF says is legal. We have precedents how to handle patients and firearms. So, yes, this is a gun grab.

#9 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Sorry, but there are drugs out their stronger then medicinal weed, only available through prescription, yet no talk of firearm confiscation around them. While I have nothing against weed, it's not the medical miracle break through that it's proponents claim. While it has some medicinal benefits, they've been over blown. And the thing that bothered me most about the legalize movement is that so many of these people jumped on the medical marijuana train because they wanted it smoke it for recreational purposes. I would respect them more if they just admitted that they could care less about any ailments that some claim it will take care of and just want to get high. If they could put all the benefits in pill form, that didn't get you high, they'd never want it. I also find it funny they blame "big pharma" for helping reduce the capability of legalization and marketing of weed, because they're greedy and don't want the competition. That's BS. If there is really that much money to be made the pharma companies would have been first because they had the capital for mass production.

This post has been edited by Italian Biker: 29 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

#10 User is offline   satellite66 

• No more RHINOs!!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

I suspect that this is just the start First it's pot then other prescriptions will be added The left wants to disarm us and will use any means they can
I'm not a fan of legalized recreational pot but it can be used as a medicine for those that need it I see that usage as no different than other medications
The left has already deemed veterans and many SS recipients a danger This is just another step

This post has been edited by satellite66: 29 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

#11 User is offline   MikeTexas 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

orders a voluntary...doesn't the order rather negate the concept of voluntary??

#12 User is offline   jr_tex 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

Oh NOW Hawaii likes the Federal Law. They certainly did not like Federal Immigration Law earlier this year. Typical lawless libtards.

#13 User is offline   ASE 

• You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

The wording has me puzzled - it is ordering them to 'voluntarily' do something?!?

If it is an order to voluntarily do something, does that mean they are permitted to not volunteer to do it? Or, is it that if the legality is challenged, then the state has an out by claiming it was only a 'voluntary' action?

#14 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

View PostASE, on 29 November 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

The wording has me puzzled - it is ordering them to 'voluntarily' do something?!?

If it is an order to voluntarily do something, does that mean they are permitted to not volunteer to do it? Or, is it that if the legality is challenged, then the state has an out by claiming it was only a 'voluntary' action?

It's an out.

#15 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

View Postjr_tex, on 29 November 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

Oh NOW Hawaii likes the Federal Law. They certainly did not like Federal Immigration Law earlier this year. Typical lawless libtards.

That's because guns kill people. Illegal immigrants never kill people.

#16 User is offline   satellite66 

• No more RHINOs!!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

View PostItalian Biker, on 30 November 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

That's because guns kill people. Illegal immigrants never kill people.

Silly xenophobe they are only seeking a better life :sarcasm:

#17 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:56 AM

View PostMikeTexas, on 29 November 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Yup, that was my reaction too: Being ordered to do something is the precise, literal, opposite of volunteering to do it.

And the remainder of the comments are true too: Even the most rabidly anti-pot crusader could see this is nothing more than another gun-grab.

<_<

#18 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 30 November 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

Yup, that was my reaction too: Being ordered to do something is the precise, literal, opposite of volunteering to do it.

And the remainder of the comments are true too: Even the most rabidly anti-pot crusader could see this is nothing more than another gun-grab.

<_<

Reminds me of the military, I need two volunteers, you and you, follow me.

#19 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 30 November 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

Sheesh. Y'all have never served in the Navy, have you? It's like when the Chief comes around and says, "I need two volunteers: you and you".

Or when the IRS says that income taxes are "voluntary"

Also known as being voluntold.

:wave:

#20 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

View PostSeverian, on 30 November 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

Reminds me of the military, I need two volunteers, you and you, follow me.

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 30 November 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

Sheesh. Y'all have never served in the Navy, have you? It's like when the Chief comes around and says, "I need two volunteers: you and you".

Yup, LOL, I've never been in the military. And your comments demonstrate exactly why not.

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 30 November 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

Even the most rabidly anti-pot crusader could see this is nothing more than another gun-grab.

:wave:

I take it that means you're a rabid anti-pot crusader? LOL, if so, then shame on you.

:nono:

In this day & age, with all that is known on the subject, to still be against full legalization is akin to still believing the world is flat. Sure, there are people in both categories, but they can't be taken seriously on those subjects.

B)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users