RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Steve Bannon Mulls Orrin Hatch Endorsement To Block Mitt Romney - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steve Bannon Mulls Orrin Hatch Endorsement To Block Mitt Romney Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

Steve Bannon Mulls Orrin Hatch Endorsement To Block Mitt Romney

Washington Examiner
by David M. Drucker
Dec 3, 2017, 2:49 PM

Excerpt:

Steve Bannon is mulling an endorsement of Sen. Orrin Hatch in his bid to keep Mitt Romney out of the Senate, a source close to President Trumpís former chief strategist confirmed on Sunday.

Bannon is targeting Republican incumbents in 2018 primaries to undermine support for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. Hatch, a McConnell loyalist and a fixture of Washington and the Republican establishment for more than 40 years, is not Bannonís ideal choice.

But short on insurgent Republicans willing to challenge Hatch, Bannon is eying the seven-term senator as a better option than Romney. Encouraged by Hatch, the 2012 GOP presidential nominee ó a sharp, regular critic of Trump ó is planning to run for Senate if the incumbent retires.

ďIf Steve had a choice between Orrin Hatch and Mitt Romney, he would pick Hatch 10 times out of 10,Ē the source close to Bannon told the Washington Examiner.

Hatch, 83, has delayed any announcement on his midterm plans until after Congress clears tax reform legislation, which could happen this month. Hatch is chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, the chamberís tax writing panel, and does not want to diminish his negotiating leverage by revealing that he plans to retire, if thatís his intention.

Republican insiders in Utah have been expecting Hatch to retire. They say the decision is easier for Hatch to make knowing that Romney is preparing a campaign to succeed him.

Romney, 70, the former Massachusetts governor who now lives in Utah, would be nearly impossible to beat in a GOP primary. His adversarial relationship with Trump is not a problem in Utah, where many conservatives view the president with suspicion.

But, Hatch advisors recently reached out to Bannon and spoke with the Breitbart News executive chairman about 2018, signaling the senator could be having second thoughts about retiring. In Utah, Bannon is willing to put aside his war with McConnell and embrace Hatch if it means blocking Romney, a traditional Republican who has the gravitas to rally considerable opposition to Trump from the Right.

Beyond Boyd Matheson, the former chief of staff to Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, who recently announced he would not run for Senate, there have been few potential recruits in the Beehive State for Bannon to court. State Rep. Daniel McCay is one Republican who might fit the bill for Bannon, but it's unclear if he has the interest or political chops to take on Romney.

That leaves Hatch.

"I think Steve Bannon has found his candidate in Utah," said a GOP insider there, referring to the senator.

Hatch has resisted criticizing Trump. Indeed, the senator, who has worked closely with the White House on myriad issues, recently praised Trump as among the best of the seven presidents he has served under. But thereís little doubt Trump, who periodically urged Hatch to run for re-election even before Romney was in the picture, would prefer the senator stick around if for no other reason that it would keep one of his nemeses out of Washington.

More information could emerge this week. Trump is headed to Utah for his first visit as president; Hatch extended the official invitation, with the tripís itinerary dictated in large part by his staff.

*snip*

Full Article

#2 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:48 PM

I'm not a fan of Term Limits, but I do like the idea of "Mandatory Retirement". For *ANY* Federal job, including Judges, Senators, and Representatives.

83 is "time to retire" for Sen. Hatch. At that age, NOBODY has the faculties that they did when they were younger. I suspect most of Hatch's work is actually being done by staffers. Heck at age 83 even Ronald Reagan wasn't the person that he was when he left office at age 77.

#3 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:14 PM

I'm not a fan of Term Limits, but I do like the idea of "Mandatory Retirement". For *ANY* Federal job, including Judges, Senators, and Representatives.

83 is "time to retire" for Sen. Hatch. At that age, NOBODY has the faculties that they did when they were younger. I suspect most of Hatch's work is actually being done by staffers. Heck at age 83 even Ronald Reagan wasn't the person that he was when he left office at age 77.

JUST FOR DISCUSSION, Let's use Reagan as a benchmark. And just for discussion even if Reagan was declining at 83 he *MIGHT* have had one more good term in him if allowed which would have taken him to age 81. (And Yes, I'd have supported Reagan '88 over GHWB if it would have been a choice.)

So, for discussion, let's consider 81 as the absolute maximum for mandatory retirement. That would force out (7) Senators:

Dianne Fienstein, 84
Chuck Grassley, 84
Orrin Hatch, 83
James Inhofe, 83
Pat Roberts, 81
Barbara Mikulski, 81
John McCain, 81 + 97 days.

Just think: If there was a "Smithee-Reagan Rule" in effect (Hey, I came up with it, inspired by Reagan; I get naming rights :) ) then we'd have been rid of McCain 97 days ago, BEFORE he B.F.'d us on the obamacare vote.

What's NOT to like?

#4 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:16 PM

View PostLiz, on 03 December 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Romney, 70, the former Massachusetts governor who now lives in Utah, would be nearly impossible to beat in a GOP primary.

Why would the Republican Party shoot itself in the foot by financing the campaign of a RINO? Romney will definitely NOT unify the party. He'll be another party pooper with his endless anti-Trump NO votes. Haven't the Republicans learned anything from McCain's antics?

#5 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

Orrin Hatch isn't exactly a conservative either.

#6 User is offline   deener 

• Deener

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:54 AM

Why not lower the age limit to 75? I'm 70 now and I am not as stable afoot as I used to be and I'm starting to forget things. Driving at night has become an issue so I don't do that anymore.

Perhaps 75 is still too old.

Deener

#7 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:24 AM

View PostLiz, on 03 December 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Steve Bannon Mulls Orrin Hatch Endorsement To Block Mitt Romney

Washington Examiner
by David M. Drucker
Dec 3, 2017, 2:49 PM

Excerpt:

Steve Bannon is mulling an endorsement of Sen. Orrin Hatch in his bid to keep Mitt Romney out of the Senate, a source close to President Trumpís former chief strategist confirmed on Sunday.

Bannon is targeting Republican incumbents in 2018 primaries to undermine support for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. Hatch, a McConnell loyalist and a fixture of Washington and the Republican establishment for more than 40 years, is not Bannonís ideal choice.

But short on insurgent Republicans willing to challenge Hatch, Bannon is eying the seven-term senator as a better option than Romney. Encouraged by Hatch, the 2012 GOP presidential nominee ó a sharp, regular critic of Trump ó is planning to run for Senate if the incumbent retires.

ďIf Steve had a choice between Orrin Hatch and Mitt Romney, he would pick Hatch 10 times out of 10,Ē the source close to Bannon told the Washington Examiner.

Hatch, 83, has delayed any announcement on his midterm plans until after Congress clears tax reform legislation, which could happen this month. Hatch is chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, the chamberís tax writing panel, and does not want to diminish his negotiating leverage by revealing that he plans to retire, if thatís his intention.

Republican insiders in Utah have been expecting Hatch to retire. They say the decision is easier for Hatch to make knowing that Romney is preparing a campaign to succeed him.

Romney, 70, the former Massachusetts governor who now lives in Utah, would be nearly impossible to beat in a GOP primary. His adversarial relationship with Trump is not a problem in Utah, where many conservatives view the president with suspicion.

But, Hatch advisors recently reached out to Bannon and spoke with the Breitbart News executive chairman about 2018, signaling the senator could be having second thoughts about retiring. In Utah, Bannon is willing to put aside his war with McConnell and embrace Hatch if it means blocking Romney, a traditional Republican who has the gravitas to rally considerable opposition to Trump from the Right.

Beyond Boyd Matheson, the former chief of staff to Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, who recently announced he would not run for Senate, there have been few potential recruits in the Beehive State for Bannon to court. State Rep. Daniel McCay is one Republican who might fit the bill for Bannon, but it's unclear if he has the interest or political chops to take on Romney.

That leaves Hatch.

"I think Steve Bannon has found his candidate in Utah," said a GOP insider there, referring to the senator.

Hatch has resisted criticizing Trump. Indeed, the senator, who has worked closely with the White House on myriad issues, recently praised Trump as among the best of the seven presidents he has served under. But thereís little doubt Trump, who periodically urged Hatch to run for re-election even before Romney was in the picture, would prefer the senator stick around if for no other reason that it would keep one of his nemeses out of Washington.

More information could emerge this week. Trump is headed to Utah for his first visit as president; Hatch extended the official invitation, with the tripís itinerary dictated in large part by his staff.

*snip*

Full Article

Does Romney seriously have nothing better to do? If I were a Utah voter I wouldn't want either of those dinosaurs.

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostJerryL, on 04 December 2017 - 04:24 AM, said:

Does Romney seriously have nothing better to do? If I were a Utah voter I wouldn't want either of those dinosaurs.

What else has he got to do? I will say for a 70 year old, he looks pretty good.

#9 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

View Postdeener, on 04 December 2017 - 02:54 AM, said:

Why not lower the age limit to 75? I'm 70 now and I am not as stable afoot as I used to be and I'm starting to forget things. Driving at night has become an issue so I don't do that anymore.

Perhaps 75 is still too old.

Deener

Well, they don't remember anything either, they don't drive themselves, and they're usually too drunk to be very stable.

You'd be an improvement!

#10 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Bannon on Romney: 'You hid behind your religion' to avoid Vietnam
By Maegan Vazquez, CNN
Updated 8:54 AM ET, Wed December 6, 2017

Excerpt:
<snip>

"By the way, Mitt, while we're on the subject of honor an integrity, you avoided service, brother," Bannon said. "Mitt, here's how it is, brother: The college deferments, we can debate that -- but you hid behind your religion. You went to France to be a missionary while guys were dying in rice paddies in Vietnam."

Romney, a Mormon, served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in France for two and a half years in the late 1960s. In 1968, he suffered a broken arm when a car he was driving was involved in a head-on collision, killing one of the passengers.
Bannon also brought up Romney's family.
"You had five sons, not one day of service in Afghanistan and Iraq. ... Where were the Romneys during those wars? You want to talk about honor and integrity, brother, bring it. Bring it down here to Alabama," Bannon said.

<snip>

Link

Religious bashing might go over well in Alabama (depending on which one is being bashed), but I donít think it will be the same in Utah.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users