RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Smell Like a Commander - RightNation.US

Smell Like a Commander Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Martin 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

"For the Commanding Man!"

I am not making this up. Procter & Gamble did it for me. When I walked into the shower stall at my gym, I found a bottle of Old Spice™ Bearglove soap in a plastic bottle. According to the label, this is a soap "FOR THE COMMANDING MAN." The label on the back of the bottle says, in full caps, BEARGLOVE IS THE FRESH, CONFIDENT SCENT THAT DEMANDS RESPECT AND THEN EATS IT (exact words from the label).

"Can you imagine a powerful, fearsome grizzly bear who can repair military helicopters and also speak confidently about important world affairs? Yes? Then, this is the Body Wash for you." Those are the exact words on the label.

I don't know about you, but I would sooner ride in a helicopter whose mechanic was a human with an Airframe and Powerplant license than one serviced by a grizzly bear. I can easily imagine that if I encountered a grizzly bear I would show him or her a lot of respect I just would not expect it to make any difference to anybody outside the rest of the company,

I have never smelled a grizzly bear but I'm pretty sure they do not smell like Old Spice™. Nor do I take the ability to repair a military helicopter as a qualification to analyze world affairs any more than the status of being a grizzly bear. Heck, I already speak confidently on world affairs even without the skill to service a military helicopter and I'm not even a grizzly bear.

Why do ad agencies write rubbish like this? I suppose it moves product but then so does my large intestine.

This post has been edited by Martin: 04 December 2017 - 10:00 PM

#2 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

So...what did it smell like? Generic perfume cologne?

#3 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:21 PM

Well, at least you have an "undead" role/smell model. We were watching TV last night and I said to my husband, "look. They're still using Liz Taylor to sell (White Shoulders, I think) perfume. I bet she doesn't smell that good now."

Spoiler

#4 User is online   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 04 December 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

Oakmoss, Patchouli, and shame.

#5 User is online   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:29 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 04 December 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

Well, at least you have an "undead" role/smell model. We were watching TV last night and I said to my husband, "look. They're still using Liz Taylor to sell (White Shoulders, I think) perfume. I bet she doesn't smell that good now."

Spoiler

I heard it smelled like gravy.

#6 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

Sorry, LOL, but the whole "body wash" angle automatically makes it suspect as far as I'm concerned. Whatever happened to soap? You know, bar soap. Real men don't buy "body wash", do they?

I remember an incident a few years ago when I was in the shower and realized I'd forgotten I needed to break out a new bar of Ivory soap. I'd finished the previous bar the day before, and though I had several more bars in the bathroom cupboard, I was already in the shower, soaking wet. Too late to walk back across the bathroom to get a bar of soap. So having no other sensible option, I had to resort to using my girlfriend's "body wash" that was sitting there in the shower stall.

Sheesh, it felt greasy ("moisturizer!"), stinky ("scented!"), and frankly, I felt less clean after my shower than before. I don't wanna be "moisturized" or "scented", I just wanna wash the dirt off.

:rolleyes:

#7 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:17 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 04 December 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

Sorry, LOL, but the whole "body wash" angle automatically makes it suspect as far as I'm concerned. Whatever happened to soap? You know, bar soap. Real men don't buy "body wash", do they?

I remember an incident a few years ago when I was in the shower and realized I'd forgotten I needed to break out a new bar of Ivory soap. I'd finished the previous bar the day before, and though I had several more bars in the bathroom cupboard, I was already in the shower, soaking wet. Too late to walk back across the bathroom to get a bar of soap. So having no other sensible option, I had to resort to using my girlfriend's "body wash" that was sitting there in the shower stall.

Sheesh, it felt greasy ("moisturizer!"), stinky ("scented!"), and frankly, I felt less clean after my shower than before. I don't wanna be "moisturized" or "scented", I just wanna wash the dirt off.

I gave it a go during my mid-life crisis (along with the earring and the $$$ sports car). I agree with your assessment monty--greasy. I felt like I never fully got clean. I dumped the body wash first. The others took a while :P

#8 User is online   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:22 AM

Yeah, I was that guy. I was a Maintenance Test Pilot, maintained helicopters and was in Command for a brief time in Iraq. I just remember being dirty and stinking back then. I don't know if I want a body wash that smells like 2 weeks no shower in Iraq in the summer. I just wouldn't consider that "zestfully clean" and refreshed.

#9 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:42 AM

After re-reading the initial post I realized your problem, Monty. Here is the quote:

BEARGLOVE IS THE FRESH, CONFIDENT SCENT THAT DEMANDS RESPECT AND THEN EATS IT

The reason your girlfriend's body wash didn't work was that you used it topically. I think (if I read it right) you're supposed to ingest it?

#10 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:08 AM

Spoiler

Hey, we saw that commercial too. "White Diamonds". I looked it up and at least one site dates it to 1991 or so.

But, it's getting plenty of chatter, so maybe it fits into the "There's no such thing as bad publicity" category? :shrug:

DataLounge: "White Diamonds" by Elizabeth Taylor- Isn't that commercial 20 years old?

#11 User is online   Martin 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 04 December 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

It smells like Old Spice™. I assumed for a moment that bearglove was a flower like foxglove. I couldn't find any plant by that name, fragrant or otherwise.

Advertisements are not designed to sell products, they are designed to sell advertisements. It's possible some focus group sat around a table and commented on names for this product, like "Smells Good", "Power Wash", and "Gets You Laid" before the ad agency settled on Bearglove. What moved me to start this topic was the over-the-top comments on the label. "Demands respect and then eats it"? Not even Urethra Franklin talked about eating R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

#12 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

Aaah hell, for a 'respect' smell I just make sure to order the massive bean burrito from a one of the local Mexican places.
ANYONE WHO CAN SURVIVE BEING AROUND ME AN HOUR LATER HAS EARNED MY RESPECT.

Oki

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

Sorry.. reading this brought an ad immediately to mind..
https://www.youtube....vmLnBTEs&sns=em

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 05 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

#14 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

The angle for Old Spice at the moment is a knowing retro campaign that uses a strong, masculine man in the ads and pits itself against metrosexualism.

Its just an ad campaign, ads are quite funny and its nice to see something aimed at men that isn't either making us look like weak idiots, sexist pigs and in a light hearted way celebrates our masculinity.

#15 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

View PostMartin, on 05 December 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

It smells like Old Spice™. I assumed for a moment that bearglove was a flower like foxglove. I couldn't find any plant by that name, fragrant or otherwise.

Advertisements are not designed to sell products, they are designed to sell advertisements. It's possible some focus group sat around a table and commented on names for this product, like "Smells Good", "Power Wash", and "Gets You Laid" before the ad agency settled on Bearglove. What moved me to start this topic was the over-the-top comments on the label. "Demands respect and then eats it"? Not even Urethra Franklin talked about eating R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

I like Old Spice. I like its fresh smell. Both the 'old' classic range and the newer stuff like bearglove. I wear the bearglove when I wear after shave. Its nice in 2017, to be able to go into a shop and buy the same old bottle style my Dad did back in the 70s. Retro is tres chic these days.

#16 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

I got used to it in Germany, where wall-mount dispensers of Shampoo and Body Wash are ubiquitous in hotels. I guess the idea is to eliminate the waste of all those little bars of soap being unwrapped, used once or twice, then thrown away. Makes sense to me.

I like the wall-mount dispensers. It beats fumbling around with a bottle of shampoo with your eyes closed. We've gone that way in the Smithee house.

Body Wash? I don't really care about all the "fancy" ones, but all the traditional soap brands are available that way too now, Irish Spring, Ivory, Dove, whatever, to be put in the dispensers.

And, of course, in the garage / laundry sink, wall-mount dispensers for both regular hand soap and gojo hand cleaner. It just makes sense.

#17 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

For quick use, I tend to use good quality shower gel. For a longer shower or bath, I use a bar of soap.

http://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23905768_516068785436698_563667149091682118_n.jpg?oh=95e9ec7987335443d876166f809c3a3c&oe=5A8C7EB6

#18 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:39 AM

View Postscotsman, on 05 December 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

http://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23905768_516068785436698_563667149091682118_n.jpg?oh=95e9ec7987335443d876166f809c3a3c&oe=5A8C7EB6

Lifebuoy, Camay, Shield, were popular in the states. Knight's Castile was around too, but as I recall it was 'special' for people with allergies or something.

I've heard of Coal Tar soap but have never seen it or used it.

But, c'mon, be a Real ManTM: 5 parts congealed bacon grease or other fat, 2 parts lye, heat it until it melts then turn off the heat, stir it around along with 1 part separated milk solids to help it harden as it cools.

#19 User is online   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:42 AM

Spoiler

Was it the commercial she was filmed out of focus to hide her wrinkles?

#20 User is offline   Coach 

• Coach

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

My Mom saved her grease for my Grandmother who made her own laundry soap. It would totally cleanse. Lava was good too and really stimulated the skin. Today's metro sexuals couldn't endure either. I see very few masculine men in commercials any more. The neutering of American men forges on.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users