RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Profumo affair model Christine Keeler dies aged 75 - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Profumo affair model Christine Keeler dies aged 75 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

BBC News

(excerpt)

'Christine Keeler, the model embroiled in the 1963 Profumo affair, has died aged 75, her son has said.

Seymour Platt said Ms Keeler had been ill for several months with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He told the BBC: "She was always a fighter, but sadly lost the final fight against a terrible lung disease."

She became famous for her part in the scandal, which shook Harold Macmillan's government, but her son said that fame came "at a huge personal price". At the height of the Cold War, the-then teenager claimed she had an affair with Conservative cabinet minister John Profumo. She also claimed to be in a relationship with a Russian diplomat - Eugene Ivanov, an assistant naval attaché at the Soviet Embassy - at the same time.

Mr Profumo was forced to resign after lying about the affair to Parliament and the scandal is considered to have contributed to the fall of the Macmillan government.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-42245839

#2 User is offline   Coach 

• Coach

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

I remember this one well. She was a knockout beauty and well into the swinging scene of the elite but also loved venturing into the less savory sex and drug environs of London.

#3 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

This was the subject of the film Scandal (1989) with John Hurt and Joanne Whalley-Kilmer. I don't know much beyond what I saw in the film and it's been probably 25 years since I saw the film.

Was the film anywhere even CLOSE to historically accurate?

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 December 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

This was the subject of the film Scandal (1989) with John Hurt and Joanne Whalley-Kilmer. I don't know much beyond what I saw in the film and it's been probably 25 years since I saw the film.

I’ve never seen that movie or heard of the Profumo affair.

There was a film with Judi Dench a few years ago called ‘Notes On A Scandal’, which was excellent. It was about a forbidden affair becoming a public scandal, but did not concern a politician.

#5 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Quite close, allowing for dramatic licence. In 1989, several figures were still alive, and given our laws, dramatic licence had to be balanced against wrongly libelling someone.

#6 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

The wonderful and sadly missed Dusty Springfield (with the Pet Shop Boys) also had a big hit with the title track.

#7 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

I have heard of the Profumo affair but mostly from documentaries on the Cold War. Even then, they gloss over the Macmillan government. I'm sure when the movie comes out, there will be more in-depth accounts.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users